Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether it will becom a lemon when a sporty-ish car equips a CVT transmission?

Recently I have noticed that Lancer has equipped CVT transmission. Even Audi A4 has CVT models as well. Both cars are kinda sporty (well, ~ish perhaps) to me.

Well I know CVT runs very smooth and easy to handle. But is it a really good idea to put a CVT gearbox in those cars which claim themselves sporty? What do you guys think?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    ECOTEC just kicked in YOClick here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If its not a manual, its not a sporty car to begin with.

Sent from the MAGI.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I also think paddles aren't a manual. Needs a clutch + gear selector to be a manual
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    "well rory and adz held me down, nuggz grabbed the vaccuum cleaner, while guy was taping it all.

pj was taking photos but they wont be seen for 12mths and steve was in the corner playing with himself"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    id never buy a cvt car as to get one fixed is near $10k at best of times
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast lonewolf1983's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yep they are not good for performance of any kind, and when you break one costs a shitload to fix
    a4 and lancer arent sporty at all (unless talking about S4/RS4 + lancer ralliart/evo - none of which are CVT)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sharkrules Click here to enlarge
    Recently I have noticed that Lancer has equipped CVT transmission. Even Audi A4 has CVT models as well. Both cars are kinda sporty (well, ~ish perhaps) to me.

Well I know CVT runs very smooth and easy to handle. But is it a really good idea to put a CVT gearbox in those cars which claim themselves sporty? What do you guys think?
    If it is a 'proper' sports CVT transmission then why not...I'd describe that as being similar to a 'proper' twin clutch type auto trans that in manual or sport mode will hold any gear to any revs until you shift it, then it'll shift it faster than any human could in a manual, will usually make the engine (forced inducted ones) pop on upshifts and perfectly rev match on down shifts, depending on what you'd call sporty as it's all done for you instead of looking silly trying to be a pretend race car driver getting the heel and toeing all wrong LOL, that may or may not fit the bill, I certainly like them Click here to enlarge

I've so far driven 2 types of vehicles with CVT's - the Mitsu Lancer and the Suzuki Kizashi, of those 2 the Kizashi is good or at least feels good, the Mitsu is not as good...

It'll be the same story as everything else, ie. the longer they're around the better they'll get, although it will be interesting to see if indeed CVT's have a longer term future or not because alot of manufacturers both high end and lower end are releasing autos with an ever increasing number of gears which given an overly wide spread of ratios would probably defeat the purpose of a CVT ??...

It used to be manuals that have 2 or 3 gears more than an auto in the same vehicle, now it's getting the other way around...

The question of whether or not autos of any kind are sporty or not is totally subjective depending on peoples opinions of which they prefer, auto haters will always dissmiss any of them regardless of how good they are or what they offer over a traditional stick manual...

For mine, I like both and have both Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Id rather get a manual and muck up some heal-toe shifts and practice till I get them right rather than take the lazy way out and be a pretend 'expert' and let the computer do it all for me.

Also, I have yet to see a cvt being used in a racing application, unless someone can enlighten me.

Not an auto hater by any means, current car and last car both automatics. But they are not sporty.

Sent from the MAGI.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    there was a point were Williams F1 team in the early 90s were trying to implement it.. but too much power for the gearbox meant it failed
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working at a Mitsi dealership, the Lancer CVT trans feels terrible, and the manual has a vague plastic feel. I honestly think lancers don't look half bad, they are reliable, but I dont like the auto, or manual. I wouldn't go anywhere near one because of this.

The older model CH Lancer (no CVT) drives nicer, especially the mivec 2.4L, it goes surprisingly hard

The Ralliart Lancer has a twin clutch computer/hydraulically controlled manual box, so no clutch pedal, and a little ratchet style shifter, it is fun to drive, but the computer will never drop the clutch of the line, so there kind of slow to get going, but go pretty good when they are moving

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    paddle shifters on the auto lancers where rubbish on the VRX and ralliart ones... so much lag!!! and on column not wheel is just tarded
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information