Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said shit looking, not boring! Lol

The cars you mentioned at least looked like they were designed in the 00's..

Skoda's look a generation older.

I like the Octavia too (updated one only) but still looks old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If People are willing to buy Chery and great wall. Its case in point people don't give a crap about the looks of the car, its about a competitive price point that will attract buyers.

Which WILL be rather difficult in my eyes as they are battling an extremely well established brand (VW)
    As vectracious said, they'll have to advertise advertise advertise, do some decent P.R stunts around town and get people test driving cars.

Opel Did confirm that they'll be attending the Sydney 2012 motorshow, so a quality start from brand awareness.
    Click here to enlarge

EDS-IPF Re-Map, 19" OPC Snowflakes, OPC Rear Spoiler, OPC Rear Diffuser, Remus Exhaust, Irmscher Front Spoiler, Irmscher Front Grille, Irmscher Eyebrows Signum Fog Surrounds and Lower Grille, K&N Apollo Intake, Koni Yellow Adjustable Dampers, Eibach Pro-Kit, DBA 5000 Gold Rotors, M-Tech Shifter

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They could give the local forum owner one to test drive, for say 12 months or so Click here to enlarge

Sent from The Gates of Hell
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about VW is, questionable reliability aside, is they make quality cars. Interiors are excellent, so is fit and finish. They drive well too.

The numerous car of the year awards don't hurt either.

Having said that I hope Opel does well... but like any car they will need time to establish themselves.. so they will need to position themselves price wise lower than VW.

One thing I think will help them immensely is a longer warranty of say 5 years and fixed priced servicing for say 3 years like Mitsubishi.

I know that's why a lot of people are hesitant of euro cars- reliability woes outside warranty and service cost.

The fixed price service doesn't have to be mega cheap like Toyota ($120!) but even at $200 per 15,000km service would turn a profit for the dealer for what is an oil change, filter change.

5 year warranties certainly haven't hurt Hyundai.. Kia (owned by Hyundai) offer 7 ****ing years warranty in Europe!!!
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    Simple reason why Skoda isn't more popular is that they look rubbish.

Shit looking cars don't sell well as they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally agree on your point there John, especially for people who want more in a car than just an A to B tool...

Looks and aesthetic appeal and or desirabilty sells product, ie. any product Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChrisMaz Click here to enlarge
    If People are willing to buy Chery and great wall. Its case in point people don't give a crap about the looks of the car, its about a competitive price point that will attract buyers.

Which WILL be rather difficult in my eyes as they are battling an extremely well established brand (VW)
    As vectracious said, they'll have to advertise advertise advertise, do some decent P.R stunts around town and get people test driving cars.

Opel Did confirm that they'll be attending the Sydney 2012 motorshow, so a quality start from brand awareness.
    Also agree.

That's why for eg. Hyundai and sister company Kia are doing so well...

Good looking product range, very decent warranty terms and price points...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    The thing about VW is, questionable reliability aside, is they make quality cars. Interiors are excellent, so is fit and finish. They drive well too.
    Having come from an MY06 Jetta to a MY10 Octavia though i can tell you the interior and fit and finish is identical, if not better. i know the skoda front can be a little....different lol, but the back of the wagon looks awesome, light years ahead of the golf wagon.
    It's all just about the fact that everyone knows someone who has had a golf, and they liked it, so they go look at it. No1 knows anyone who has a skoda, despite the fact they're just vw's in drag, so no1 would ever go to a dealership to test them out Click here to enlarge
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    am i the only one that thinks VW styling department is acctually rather dull and in comparision with skoda are on par with each other? I think stying wise coming out of Euro mainstream at moment renault is winning in "modern" styling. The VW is just the same styling over and over and over, there not been a groundbreaking shape since Golf MK1. Yes the Golf R looks nice, but put it against the OPC Astra or Renault Megane Trophee it just looks bland to me.

If styling is the selling point Opel > VW. Opel will need to offer a semi luxury interior though to take a chunk outta VW i think. And i do think opel will survive... the Astra G was the biggest selling car over here, i dont see why people who loved the old wont love the new
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gmonkey Click here to enlarge
    And i do think opel will survive... the Astra G was the biggest selling car over here, i dont see why people who loved the old wont love the new
    But unfortunatley we on this site are the few that realise that we actually drive Opels. Go ask the average "Holden" Astra driver if they know that their car is actually European and I reckon you'd get a slightly surprised response.

Average Joe who drives an Astra G today won't be thinking "you' beauty, Opel is coming to Austalia, I can upgrade to a new Astra then!"
    Old Car 0-100km/h took a friggin long time
    New Car 0-100km/h takes only 5.9sec

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    with the right advert people will know... showing the progression over the years of the astra, people will see the G or F and peice the puzzle together (you'd hope)

and a lot of people do upgrade from the car they already drive (if they enjoyed it) and lots of people have enjoyed the astra G and H... Look at VW drivers a lot of them have gone through the different Mark levels or even commodore/camry/falcon drivers, always buy what they know Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by gmonkey; 16th September 2011 at 02:04 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information