Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    IMO the Scirocco's lost a bit of it's shine/desirabilty because there are now so many other new hot hatch models available which are as good or better and the upcoming AJ Astra will add to that...
    I see only the Renault RS250 being a suitable competitor...and specced like a Scirocco R its about the same price.
    You can bet that VW will sell every Scirocco R they can get for Australia. There is a shortage worldwide on this model.

AJ AStra - it's not even slated for release here and the current top engine is a 132kw 1.6L. That's more a competitor to the Scirocco 1.4TSI
    Last edited by rjastra; 16th September 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More bland from VW. This car looks old hat (and IMO just ugly) next to the Renault and new Astra GTC. The new Astra GTC smashes it from a styling perspective and in OPC trim will most likely undercut it on price but will also leave it lagging behind in terms of performance with 200+ kw when it gets here based on what has been in the press of late.
    Last edited by Milesy; 21st September 2011 at 07:39 PM.
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

White MY13 Astra OPC

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Milesy Click here to enlarge
    More bland from VW. This car looks old hat (and IMO just ugly) next to the Renault and new Astra GTC. The new Astra GTC smashes it from a styling perspective and in OPC trim will most likely undercut it on price but will also leave it lagging behind in terms of performance with 200+ kw when it gets here based on what has been in the press of late.
    scirocco r =awd. astra=fwd. IMO the scirocco is more of a ''drivers'' car... you dont look at the exterior of your car while your driving it do you?? i know i dont
    Last edited by poita; 21st September 2011 at 09:12 PM.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one has tested a GTC OPC afaik... If it does prove popular in Europe then it could be 18 months or more before it lobs downunder.
    For the Australian market they really need a performance 5 door hatch.

200+ kw when it gets here.
    scirocco r =awd. astra=fwd.
    Scirocco is FWD only
    Last edited by poita; 21st September 2011 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    think the R was awd.. but awd is boring Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge
    No one has tested a GTC OPC afaik... If it does prove popular in Europe then it could be 18 months or more before it lobs downunder.
    For the Australian market they really need a performance 5 door hatch!

Scirocco is FWD only
    Hopefully it will be here inside 18 months. Fingers crossed!

I disagree about needing a 5 door. If that is what you are after then you are not the target market for this vehicle. If you want a practical family car buy a SS sportwagon. To me if it's not a 3 door then it's not a hot hatch
    Last edited by Milesy; 21st September 2011 at 07:43 PM.

White MY13 Astra OPC

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    standard scirocco is fwd scirocco R is awd iirc.
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No all Scirocco's (incl the R) are fwd only.

White MY13 Astra OPC

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yeah my bad. golf r is awd. i thought the scirocco was aswel.

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge
    I see only the Renault RS250 being a suitable competitor...and specced like a Scirocco R its about the same price.
    You can bet that VW will sell every Scirocco R they can get for Australia. There is a shortage worldwide on this model.

AJ AStra - it's not even slated for release here and the current top engine is a 132kw 1.6L. That's more a competitor to the Scirocco 1.4TSI
    Interesting to see what happens, but one thing in favour of the Scirocco is the option or choice of a DSG type trans, both Reno and Opel won't be able to compete with that option and will lose sales because of that, alot if not most Golfs and probably Sciroccos sold are DSG equipped...

AFAIK AJ Astra will be sold here won't it ??

Again a case of each to their own...

IMHO the Scirocco is definitely starting to look a little 'long in the tooth' and the tailgate is fugly - just my opinion - after seeing it real life, it definitely needs a refresh...

RS250 Megane and new AJ look fresh and up to date, the OPC AJ Astra will probably even outperform the RS250 ?? so will be interesting on peoples choices for either one of these...

Either it's all good, plenty to choose from and there's now something for everyone Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by poita; 21st September 2011 at 09:13 PM.
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information