Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys - will call ISP on Thursday and ask them about the port issue.

P1 - is netlimiter freeware?

James - unfortunately our ADSL modem is just your basic Billion with wireless - had a look around on the setup page yesterday and couldnt really find any data logging. Cant even use the server because the modem is the gateway. Will do what you suggested if all else fails...
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dglewis80 Click here to enlarge
    But if the equipment leading into that exchange is reaching capacity then the whole exchange will slow down.
    If it's done right*, then the business connections should be given QOS priority - so they still don't slow down - just the residential connections slow down.

* Of course, that relies on Telstra doing things properly. Which is admittedly unlikely...

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bloodnok Click here to enlarge
    * Of course, that relies on Telstra doing things properly. Which is admittedly unlikely...
    Telstra unfortunately does not do many things correctly out in Berwick Click here to enlarge
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    James - unfortunately our ADSL modem is just your basic Billion with wireless - had a look around on the setup page yesterday and couldnt really find any data logging.
    I've got a Billion home router with wireless - and it can be made to do some basic logging (albeit you have to do some setup first). In 'configuration', there's an entry for 'firewall', within which there is a 'firewall log' - everything disabled by default.

Unfortunately it doesn't log successful packets, but it can be made to log failures - so assuming you have the same config, while you've got the slow speed problem, turn on this logging, and temporarily block the entire internet. You'll get a log of every failed connection - which will be everything. After a short duration, you can turn the internet back on, and look at the logs it recorded.

I'm sure if I got in to it on the command line it'd log everything - they pretty much all do underneath, it's just the web interface that doesn't expose it. But that may be a little complicated to explain how...

Cant even use the server because the modem is the gateway. Will do what you suggested if all else fails...
    Yeah, I suspected that - it would be unusual (but possible) to route all traffic through the server in a small business / branch office setup like you've described.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    u have passworded ur wireless right? / still is secured
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gmonkey Click here to enlarge
    u have passworded ur wireless right? / still is secured
    yep - was the first thing I checked - the only wireless connection according to the router was my laptop (and no - MAC address has not been spoofed because when I disconnected my laptop, the session didn't persist)

I'm new here, please be nice leighb0103's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few things that could cause this:

Generally around that time, likewise with traffic, is classed as peak time. Its when most corporations start backups and heavy exchange traffic. This could be causing your issue.
    As a result of this, the exchange might not be coping. Grab a copy of wireshark, and check out what is going on on your network at that time. I would quite happily take a look at the results if you wanted me to.

Let me know if you need anymore help, im a computer engineer student with CCNA, should be able to sort this out. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Vectra B 2000 CD JSII

To me Vectra's are a bitterweet.
    Beautiful car, fantastic to drive and handles the road well...

...Cost a small fortune to maintain when stuff starts to go down Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate - will hopefully get some time to look at this tomorrow.

Thread Information