Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    Of course that would be great - but how you'd need the entire force out there driving around giving tickets.
    Heh, I like the sound of that Click here to enlarge People would figure out pretty fast to back off and maintain a safe following distance if there was that kind of ticketing blitz...

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bloodnok Click here to enlarge
    Not on roads with 90km/h or higher speed limits. Above that, the other person should have pulled to the left when the left lane was free, and you should overtake on the right. With a road speed of 80km/h or below, the other person has no obligation to pull into the left lane (unless there is a sign saying "Keep left unless overtaking"), and then you can overtake on whatever side you like.

Though I still have a special dislike of people who deliberately drive up the left turn lane at a junction and then "suddenly" decide they need to merge back in.
    I was under the impression you had to merge left for 80km/hr signed roads... anything below that I happily sit in the right lane in the slow old truck Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by glider; 29th July 2011 at 08:47 PM.
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider Click here to enlarge
    I was under the impression you had to merge left for 80km/hr signed roads... anything below that I happily sit in the right lane in the slow old truck Click here to enlarge
    IIRC the wording was "above 80km/h", but as there aren't any 80km/h limit multi-lane roads I travel on anyway I didn't really care when reading the rules whether 80 was in or out - so you could well be right on that one. I know 90 is definitely a "stay left" and 70 is definitely "no requirement to stay left unless signed".

And as far as sitting in the right lane goes - if you're happy for people to pass you on the left, then I don't see sitting in the right hand lane as an issue on the kind of roads we're talking about. Multi-lane roads with speed limits in this range are generally peppered with traffic lights, roundabouts, side turnings and filter lanes - and if you're looking for a right hand turn, sticking to the right hand lane seems like a good idea. Click here to enlarge I try to move left anyway unless I know I'll be turning right within a few sets of lights. But then again, I don't particularly like people sneaking up on my left hand side Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider Click here to enlarge
    In Canberra, if the the road is signposted as 80kph you can legally drive in the right hand lane. If the posted speed limit is above 80kph, then it is illegal to drive continuously in the right lane.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic Road Rules

130. Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road
    (1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if—
    (a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour; or
    (b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.

(2) The driver must not drive in the right lane unless—
    (a) the driver is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or
    (b) the driver is overtaking; or
    (c) a left lane must turn left sign or left traffic lane arrows apply to any other lane and the driver is not turning left; or
    (d) the driver is required to drive in the right lane under rule 159; or
    (e) the driver is avoiding an obstruction; or
    (f) the traffic in each other lane is congested; or
    (g) the traffic in every lane is congested.

Penalty: 2 penalty units.
    http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/gazett...GG1999P002.pdf
    "Bacon and eggs. A day's work for the chook. A lifetime commitment for the pig."
    My Car - 1993 Opel Monterey SL
    Wifes Car - 2005 Vectra C CDX 3.2 CLICK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently some residents that live near certain speed cams have protested against the shut down of their local speed cam.
    So some will still be operational, but only send warning notices instead of fines.

OpelAus Participant Drache Mithal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard they protested, but the Govt/RTA are still ripping them out if they're switched off. To leave them operational and send notices only would be cost prohibitive, they'd rather fine people and keep it operational if they did that...

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reading this, I wouldn't be surprised if these cameras were removed to make way for newer, higher-tech ones, with the old ones being pensioned off to SA. Our government here is tax mad and if the mob of clowns that run this state have their way, it ain't gonna take long before everyone here has a camera at the end of their driveway.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

OpelAus Participant Drache Mithal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SA Govt sounds like the NSW Labor mob before they got the sack....
    Last edited by Drache Mithal; 17th August 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha, yeah. We've still got our useless Labor govt here for a couple more years yet unfortunately.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Thread Information