Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast Feelinlucky75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about dodgy work...

I need some advice guys...
    A few months ago my timing belt and waterpump where changed by a workshop where a mate works and his girlfriend's dad owns the place... when I got it back it had a slight miss at idle... Didn't think much of it at first... 3 weeks ago the car got much worse and started to miss on 2 cyl rendering it virtually undrivable....
    I tried doing sparks, coil pack and checking the injectors with no results... Took it to another mechanic who now tells me the air flow meter is stuffed and the timing is out by one tooth!!
    My problem is, do I get a report from the new mechanic and go ask for reimbirsement from my friends boss and put our friendship at risk or do I leave myself out of pocket for someone else's mistake?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd go and speak to the original workshop and explain the issues first and see what they offer. That way your not risking anything at this stage.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it back mate Friend or not you paid to get the job done right first time. Any above board work shop should atleast look at it

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nurb608 Click here to enlarge
    I'd go and speak to the original workshop and explain the issues first and see what they offer. That way your not risking anything at this stage.
    I.was thinking about this, I'm not going to storm in and demand anything but I will be letting them know what's going on...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you already paid the other workshop to fix up the timing and replace the AFM?

If it were me, I'd be taking it back to the original place and asking them to just take a look at the timing for starters and then take it from there.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by delemonte Click here to enlarge
    Have you already paid the other workshop to fix up the timing and replace the AFM?

If it were me, I'd be taking it back to the original place and asking them to just take a look at the timing for starters and then take it from there.
    The new place has had it for 3 days trying to work out what was wrong...
    I've opened an account with them and will be paying it off...

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    All workshops should be giving 1 year warranty on labour.

Shouldn't of gone to the other workshop as you will not be able to recover any of those costs.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by guy 27 Click here to enlarge
    All workshops should be giving 1 year warranty on labour.

Shouldn't of gone to the other workshop as you will not be able to recover any of those costs.
    Yup... Realising that I should have just taken it back to them but we had no idea the timing was out till yesterday so we where just going through the elimination process...
    I'll just let them know what happened, if they offer anything, bonus, if not, then no biggie...
    I'm just happy to have it back after nearly a month....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The timing belts are a PITA but not really that hard... If they checked it properly, you can quite easily tell if it's a tooth out, the marks don't line up perfectly - as they should...
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -
    To Do's - Re-paint console, FMIC!! WASH!!!!! Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant Greenmeanie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look dont get me wrong BUT If I was your mate i would expect you to bring it back if you had a problem. now you are coming back after a month and telling me you have been to someone and they said the timing is out 1 tooth and the air flow meter os rs.
    What do you think my answer would be?????? mark it down to experience, hope your mate doesn't find out and you can stay friends.
    And if you get your car returned and it is not purring like a kitten drive it straight back and at least show it to the workshop manager and get it written down that you are not happy and something has to be done to rectify the problem
    When your OPEL serves you LEMONS get the tools out and make it into LEMONADE yum Click here to enlarge

Thread Information