Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Thread

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read few pages and it seems that everyone is running quite high pressure as oppose to what's recommended in the manual.

I have Astra H CDX on 205 55 R16 and recommended pressure is 27.5! Got new tyres few months ago and they pumped it up to 36 but that was quite uncomortable so I took it down to 31.

Isn't higher pressure making the tyres wear out quickly as well as shock absorbers and loosing bit of control?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Juraj Click here to enlarge
    I read few pages and it seems that everyone is running quite high pressure as oppose to what's recommended in the manual.

I have Astra H CDX on 205 55 R16 and recommended pressure is 27.5! Got new tyres few months ago and they pumped it up to 36 but that was quite uncomortable so I took it down to 31.

Isn't higher pressure making the tyres wear out quickly as well as shock absorbers and loosing bit of control?
    Unlike others on many forums dictating what pressure is right/wrong.

Use common sense & check the tyre wall, the manufacturers' generally stamp the recommended pressure rating into the tyre.

Lower profiles generally take more pressure. My 20"s recommend 52PSI, not what the manual says...
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -
    To Do's - Re-paint console, FMIC!! WASH!!!!! Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been told whilst completing a defensive driving course at Sandown raceway that 40psi is optimum for most passenger cars for general road use and was required in each car on the day. I argued that point because my CDXi Vectra was a pig to drive that whole week leading up to the course, skipping over bumps sending ridiculous feedback through the steering wheel and becoming really vague at highway speeds on imperfect roads because the shocks just couldn't keep up. There is proof that it improves your footprint on wet roads and helps prevent blowing the bead off the rim in an emergency skid situation so it's really up to the individual to decide what's best for them. I stick with the 33psi recommended for the Veccy because it seems to be a good compromise of ride quality and it tends not to aquaplane even under braking.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually run 38 in everything. Based on 16s to 18s. Never had any issues.
    "treading on the throttle pedal gives you some idea of what it might be like to blow yourself up"
    hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: fear of long words...
    2003 Astra G Sri-T (very blaack)

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ^ same here. 38psi in all the cars iv owned. The psi indicated on the sidewall is maximum psi. Iirc my old corsa c 14's said max 44 psi. This is not reccomended psi though
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Again agreed at 38psi, if the tyres are warm I put 40psi in but that's because the hotter air doesn't have the same pressure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It obviously depends what dimensions and how heavy the car is so hard to say if 38 is too much or not. I'll stick with 30, seems as a very reasonable compromise of handling and comfort and also because it's in the manual.

cheers

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think if you stick between 30 and 40 depending on how you feel the ride is like on your car for you, you can't go wrong.

Anything less than 30 psi is under inflated and you'll get higher wear on the outer edges of the tyre IMHO.

(I've run all my cars between 38-40) :-)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    Anything less than 30 psi is under inflated and you'll get higher wear on the outer edges of the tyre IMHO.
    It cannot be underinflated as recommended pressure is 27,5psi. Just checked on my fuel cap.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That would be to go with European conditions.

Thread Information