Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Thread

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is 43rd actually, I must have read it wrong. But yeah like you say, no biggie Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You got it, when are you looking at getting tyres for your new rims?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Elliot_O Click here to enlarge
    You got it, when are you looking at getting tyres for your new rims?
    When I can afford them. So like, Christmas haha. Just been keeping an eye out for the best deal in the mean time Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchased 2 Michelin Pilot Sport 3s for my GTI- 225/45R17s .. not by choice, a flat tyre forced me to replace one tyre, so I may as well changed both front tyres.

I paid $235 each fitted and balanced. I'm use to paying ~$250 a tyre, so was pleasantly surprised I didn't get raped by the store who saw me rolling in with a damaged sidewall tyre. They had stock. I'm sure I could find them a tad cheaper, but I didn't have time to enquire at another store.

Original Continental Sport Contact 2s at the rear.

Initial thoughts are they are very good. Dry and wet weather are very good and they are quiet. We'll see if they get noisier as they get older, but by god they are much quieter than the worn Continental Sport Contact 2s I had. The old CSC2s made my car gearbox sound like it's dying.

In some ways I'm glad the Continental Sport Contact 2s at the front went flat.

I did push them during a high speed corner and the rear end did feel skittish, but I put it down to the 6 yo CSCs on the rear.

Traction is great, much more grip so traction issues have largely gone under medium throttle.

Overall very happy, but I would love to do a back to back comparison with the Bridgestone S001 and Re002

I did read a Wheels/Motor tyre test and the PS3s won overall. It comprehensively beat the Re001, which I thought was a good tyres. I wonder how Bridgestone's new pair would fair.

I'm sure all three would make excellent tyres for the spirited driver who doesn't intend on going to the track.

Sorry I can't give more of a review other than very good, but I'm not good enough of a driver to give the finer details, plus the fact is you gotta compare tyres on the same car and day to really tell the smaller differences (unless they are really rubbbish), plus it's not fair to compare 6yo tyres with new ones. But I can tell you they are a very good tyre! lol
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The new Astra, at least mine on the 19"s, comes with ContiSportContact™3 tyres. So reading most of the comments, these are not so good Click here to enlarge With all the roundabouts we've got here, I'll be up then for new ones once I hit 10.000 ks. So the verdict is still out then on the best tyre.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how fast you take the corners.. lol..

You make sound like roundabouts are bad things!

I wouldn't be happy with a tyre if I got less than 50,000km out of them, but maybe that's the way I drive.

Last few tyres have lasted 60,000+ kms.

The CSC3s are suppose to be good tyres, but not outstanding. I think the Bridgestone Re001s are much better than CSC2s.

Continental really dropped the prices on the CSC3s and CSC5s to position themselves against the Re001s , whereas the CSC2s were very pricey.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Roundabouts are good for traffic flow, I agree to that, but very bad for tyre life. Just a few roundabouts are fine but one every 200 meters or so is too much. Anyone thats ever been to Noosa will agree to that. My tyres usually last only between 10.000 and 15.000 ks or so and I rotate them every 5000 ks.
    New, Peugeot 308 GTi 270 MY18 Pearlescent White.
    Old, now in the capable hands of Sskustomz; 2013 Astra sport 1.6T, asteroid grey, AFL+ adaptive bi-xenon headlights, FlexRide adaptive chassis control, 19" wheels, group buy door sill plates, carbon tint, de-lettered, smoked side indicators, Mtech short shifter, GM pedal covers, EDS Motorsport ipf stage 1
    http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showth...554#post821554

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    @dutchy I know where theres a set of brand new wheels and tyres that will fit your car Click here to enlarge
    @JohnBu. Glad to hear you're happy with the PS3's. I managed to figure out they don't grip on gravel so well.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After coping a nail in one of my Bridgestones, i'm now running them just on the front and had some spare Dunlop Sport Maxx's so they're on the rear. Forgot what it was like to run un matched tyres! Fun but don't fill me with confidence lol
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information