Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Thread

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by adam_92 Click here to enlarge
    anyone know the size of the stock mk4 turbo alloys?
    17 x 7.5

stock tyre size 215 40 17
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: The Tyre Thread

Thanks for that guy. Think I may go with the Michelins. At the moment... I have 17" x 7.5" wide with, 205 45 tyres. The tyres came with the wheels so I haven't bough new tyres before, what would be the best fit, and place to buy from?

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    i'm running 215 45 17 on both sets of wheels as they are the only suitable size I could get the michelins in and also theres more option for tyres.
    srit's didn't scrub much but they sorted themselves out pretty quick.
    my oz racing ones needed some mods done to the car to stop the scrubbing but thats due to 8" et37.

as for purchasing you can get them off ebay or go around to any reputable tyre store.
    they have come down in price a bit due to getting pretty popular.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    OEM+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree 100% with guy 27 that (at least back when I was looking for new tyres), 215/45R17 is usually cheaper than both 205/45R17 and 215/40R17, and you will have more options in that size, possibly due to it being more widely used. Low profile 215s should also fit on 7.5 inch wide wheels better than low profile 205s. And 215/45R17 should ride most comfortably out of the 3 sizes (all else being equal!).

Having said that, faneca: make sure you do check your state's regulations. Because (and I believe I have said this here before) 215/45R17 is illegal in NSW for TS Astras according to my calculations, so an insurance company can refuse a claim. This is because "the outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle" (see the bottom of page 2 of http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf).

Standard SRi-T size 215/40R17: circumference of around 1821.02mm i.e. diameter of around 579.65mm.
    New size 205/45R17: circumference of around 1858.72mm i.e. diameter of around 591.65mm. A 12mm difference i.e. within 3mm of the legal requirements.
    New size 215/45R17: circumference of around 1885.86mm i.e. diameter or around 600.29mm. A 20.64mm difference. i.e. more than 5mm outside the legal requirements.

Which is why, as a daily driver, I ended up getting for mine, 205/45R17 RE002s that were in (cool and dark) storage for a few months at a significant discount. Besides the fact that I could not afford the PS3s! :P
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tyre Thread

Just got a set of Kumho Ku31's last week for $150 each.

For the money they are pretty damn good. Obviously not as good as Pirelli P-zero/Pilot Sports etc, but dry grip is fantastic and very linear. Wet grip is above average, but nothing special.

Tyre noise is much quieter than the Federal 595 RPMs that they replaced, and they seem to make the ride less harsh somehow

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @faneca : http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transpo...eels+and+tyres

SA is also 15mm, but you have to compare it to the largest tyre size listed on the tyre placard that is somewhere on the vehicle, anyone know what that is? I can't get to my car :S

Edit: Sorry had that the wrong way around; it is no more than 15mm more than the largest tyre size, no more the 15mm less than the smallest

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    also in regards to where to buy tyres, has anyone had experience with St. George Tyres or Ozzy Tyres? Both seem dirt cheap and being Aussie based are cheap/free shipping. Have heard St. George use old stock though, is this necessarily a bad thing?

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brando47 Click here to enlarge
    @faneca : http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transpo...eels+and+tyres

SA is also 15mm, but you have to compare it to the largest tyre size listed on the tyre placard that is somewhere on the vehicle, anyone know what that is? I can't get to my car :S

Edit: Sorry had that the wrong way around; it is no more than 15mm more than the largest tyre size, no more the 15mm less than the smallest
    thanks for that, well the standard tyre size is 195/ 60R15 and was replaced with the 205/ 45R17s when i changed wheels so would it just be easier to stick to the same tyre size?

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I've purchased of st george before. Only downside was it had no australian warranty. Was only warranty though them. So if you had a defect with a tyre and it was 50% worn. They would give you half the cost of the tyre back once you returned the tyre to them. If you had the same issue with an authorised reseller it would be a change over for new item.
    OEM+

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by faneca Click here to enlarge
    thanks for that, well the standard tyre size is 195/ 60R15 and was replaced with the 205/ 45R17s when i changed wheels so would it just be easier to stick to the same tyre size?
    I use this site for comparing sizes: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

There's also link on the left called 'Plus Sizing' on there where you can enter in the stock tyre size and it shows you similar tyre sizes for bigger diameters

Thread Information