Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Thread

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the factory Dunlop’s on my Astra wear out (or maybe sooner as they are absolute crap) ill be replacing them with a set of Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3, I had these tires on my last car and found them to be brilliant, good price, good wet and dry grip, and good looking…only gripe I had with them was road noise, if I could justify the price I would go for the factory fitted tires I had to replace witch were Bridgestone SO2, unfortunately they were over a grand each even at mates rates.
    Megane RS 250 Trophee
    Megane RS F1.R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently running a mix..... Click here to enlarge

Yokohama AVS' upfront, and Nankang NSII's behind..... all are 235/45/17 for the Veccy on its standard rims (CDXi ones).

I like about both of these:
    • Their relative quietness
    • Their good wet weather abilities
    • Great dry weather handling. Click here to enlarge
    I was told the Nankangs come out of the same factory as the Yokies, and are way cheaper, and find them eminently suitable for my hard style of driving Click here to enlarge I run them at 40psi front and rear, and try to remember to rotate every 10,000km. Click here to enlarge

My 2 cents.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bill_G Click here to enlarge
    It's rather interesting that you're the only respondent who has so far mentioned Pirellis, and I was equally as surprised to learn that they're no better than they were 20 years ago. As with yours, the Pirellis on mine were perfectly fine, right up to the point where they suddenly, and without any prior warning, lost all lateral adhesion and put the car into a barely-controllable broadside slide. So much for their state-of-the-art tyre technology! And that was on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, too. God alone knows what might have happened had they been on my FWD Vectra. Click here to enlarge

Haven't used Falken tyres, so can't comment, but their prices seem to be very competitive and the different tread patterns all look quite functional as well. However, while I'm currently getting better than 60,000km from my Goodyear Eagle GAs (set of 4 @ 37psi, rotated front-to-rear every 10,000km), I really can't see any benefit to be gained by changing to a different brand. Besides, for various reasons which I won't go into here, I'll never again buy Dunlops, Bridgestones, Pirellis, or Firestone tyres, and that doesn't really leave a hell of a lot, does it? Click here to enlarge
    Try Nankangs..... just my suggestion, or Yokies Click here to enlarge

cyclonic
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MatsHolden Click here to enlarge
    Falken FK452. Good grip, wear quite well and good value. So much better than my Pirelli's I had which had absolutely no grip. They wouldn't let you know when the adhesion limit was being reached, they'd just let go.
    I'll probably go to these tyres after my current Goodyear Eagle F1's. The Goodyears are a great wet weather tyre, but the dry level drip isn't that flash. The Falken's are a better compromise and a good price.

As for Nankang - absolute rubbish! The only thing worse - Linglong. The bad smell of those lingers longer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cyclonic Click here to enlarge
    I'll probably go to these tyres after my current Goodyear Eagle F1's. The Goodyears are a great wet weather tyre, but the dry level drip isn't that flash. The Falken's are a better compromise and a good price.

As for Nankang - absolute rubbish! The only thing worse - Linglong. The bad smell of those lingers longer!
    Disagree with you on the Nankangs..... well I have only used the NS2's and found them excellent.... outperforming some more highly priced more reputable brands..... Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check this post out..

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthr...+mag+tyre+test

i've currently got Goodyear Eagle GSD3 F1s on my fronts.. good all round tyre at a good price.. you can spend more, but unless you have a sports car, you wouldnt take advantage of a more expensive tyre.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a couple of Goodyear F1's on the front of my Calibra and they were very impressive. Prior to that i had been using Vredesteins, which I believe are really Continentals. I got a set when I couldn't get the Falkens I wanted and was very impressed with them [Falkens were good too]. The Potenzas on the Astra seem OK so far but I think I will probably go back to the F1's when they need replacing.
    I don't rotate my wheels too often as the fronts invariably wear out way faster than the rears. I usually replace the fronts first, then rotate when the tread is about the same front and rear, then replace the fronts again when they need it. It's always easier buying two tyres at a time than a full set. When I had RWD cars I did rotate and usually replaced all four at once but a bum-dragger needs very different.

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant wait to replace the stock Dunlop sp 3000A's on the wife's convertible...

absolute rubbish

I think i will try the firestone wideovals on it..

anyone else had poor experience with teh dunlops?
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by entice Click here to enlarge
    Ianyone else had poor experience with teh dunlops?
    You mean Dunslips.....

I've had several different types of dunlops on different cars - they've all been rubbish. Equivalent money for a Yokohama or a Goodyear has purchased a much better tyre IMHO.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What tyre pressure

As the topic suggest...what tyre pressure should i run on my CD Astra H??

Thread Information