Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Thread

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shay Click here to enlarge
    but good luck in the wet, hard tyres and water are not fun...
    No need to be concerned Shay, Adam lives in Melbourne! lol
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I love to drift. The roads always wet. Ill cope Click here to enlarge
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So just went out for a drive to test out the new tyres.

OMG!!!

So they are Michelin Pilot Sport 3's which I managed to get at a very good price sub $1k.
    Best tyre I've ever driven on.
    Only speaking for dry grip at the moment as I haven't been able to test them in the rain but they get great reviews for it.

Compared to my old Pirelli p zero neros, kuhmo ku31 and 36s and every other tyre I've had this wins hands down.

Noise: Quietest tyre I've ever driven on. This is probably my only bad point as I'm not sure where the limits are with them. I'd like to take them out on the track just to see if I can get some noise out of them or at least find out where they start to slide.

Comfort: Extremely smooth. I don't know weather its due to a softer sidewall but I'm not complaining. You really can't tell the car has uprated suspension when it just glides over bumps now.

Grip: I'm running them at 38psi and I've just been on a nice trip through the mountains and the grip levels blew me away. Where the 36's used to start to make some noise letting you know your near the limits. The PS3's just keep on gripping. Again I'd like to test them on the track to see how much further they will go but I think they will match if not exceed the 36s level of grip. they are a 320 tread wear compared to 180 of the 36's

Response: Better than any tyre I've run. Very immediate but it does it all so smoothly.

Will I buy again: As a road tyre yes, unless I can get hold of some super sports which are meant to be a step up in dry grip but slightly less in the wet.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by guy 27 Click here to enlarge
    So just went out for a drive to test out the new tyres.

OMG!!!

So they are Michelin Pilot Sport 3's which I managed to get at a very good price sub $1k.
    Best tyre I've ever driven on.
    Glad to hear you enjoying the upgrade, guy 27! Do let us know how these PS3's go over time (I am always curious as to what their grip vs wear ratio is like, compared with the Bridgestone RE001's or RE002's!).

On another note: just found some 15 inch steelies for one of my friends. Her tyre placard says 195/60R15 88V, but most of the nice Bridgestones are only 88H. Now, according to http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf on page 5 under "Tyre speed rating", all it needs then is a warning label from the tyre dealer, right?

She prefers to spend not much more than $100 per tyre. Which tyres would you guys recommend for better grip, comfort, life, and the same low maintenance relative to her current 185/65R14 Turanza ER592's?

These are on my shortlist at the moment:
    Bridgestone Potenza RE002
    Bridgestone Serenity Plus EL64
    Bridgestone Ecopia PZ-X
    Bridgestone Turanza ER300
    Bridgestone Turanza GR90
    Bridgestone Turanza T001
    GoodYear Assurance ArmorGrip
    Michelin Energy XM2
    Toyo Teo Plus
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Turanza ER300 were the stock tyre on my old Astra iirc. Good grip and life on them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sooty Click here to enlarge
    Turanza ER300 were the stock tyre on my old Astra iirc. Good grip and life on them
    Thank you sooty for your recommendation.

As you know, personally I am happy to swing the grip vs life pendulum more towards the "grip" side. So if it was me, the choice would pretty much be the RE002. But considering she has had the ER592 for years with virtually no monitoring on tyre pressures, you are right in suggesting the ER300 as probably the more suitable option for her. I also do recall those as being OE on someone else's (then) new Astra H wagon as well...

Having said that, surely the technology in the ER300 is (although more or less proven) a few years old? I've also heard good reviews about the GR90. But the T001 does seem to be the latest release, so you'd think that it'd be smarter to buy that instead, wouldn't you? I mean, who knows if the tyre dealer may be dodgy, and sell her some ER300's that were made in, say, 2009!

But looking under the "Benefits" sections of each of the tyres' intro page, it seems the ER300 lists a far greater number of benefits than anything else available for her in the Bridgestone range, except perhaps the RE002! So I am pretty much stumped right now...!
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your looking at the $100 mark you won't get much for your money unless your trade. Crappy Sailuns and Bob jane's go for that price

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tyre Thread

I can get acillies for less than 100... For that price IMO it's one of the best...
    "treading on the throttle pedal gives you some idea of what it might be like to blow yourself up"
    hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: fear of long words...
    2003 Astra G Sri-T (very blaack)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tyre Thread

Is $600 a good price for a set of KU31s?
    225/40/18

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The Tyre Thread

Definitely
    Jump on that one dude
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Thread Information