Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Thread

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paddy here, just new today but this is just the thread I need as it's one of my first priorities besides the 120k service on my vecy C

I need 4 new paws and I don't really want to spend a few hundred each corner. It's the family car but we drive like it should be driven so I need somethin half decent. currently runningon the standard 215/50/17 Vestra alloys (rare tyres!!!). I have had the original NCT5's which were OK for wear and grip, Then I went to the Maxxis ZRS4? tyres. These were average all round. Bob Jane is trying to sell them to me again but I'm hesitent.

I found the Khumo KU31 or the KH16 or 17 were available and am currently swaying towards the KU31. A mate of mine had them on his skyline and said they were good all rounders unless you want to go drifting, not likelyClick here to enlarge Kmart doiung them for $179 each.

So what do I do? Who can offer alternatives for my vecy C CDXI? I'm after in order of preference Good wear, quite, decent grip.

How do I stop the scolloping on the rear tyres? apparently it's common on Vectra's, VW Polos and some other front drive euros. I rotate them every 5K but is there a fix for it?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    for a less pricey substitute, i would recommend Kuhmo Ku31's. they are a pretty good tyre and alot of the guys here use them Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If your going to go down the kuhmo path. Give option 1 garage a call. I found them to be very cheap on price and also outstanding service.
    Tyres all come down to budget though. Get the best you can afford.

As for the scalloping. You may require the rear wheel alignment to be altered.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    iv got terrible scalloping. never had time to get a wheel alignment. gonna get one very soon though. my cdxi is chewing the rear tyres and making the ride really bumpy and rough at 80kmh+
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've got the following quotes if anyone is interested;

KU31's from Option 1 Garage for $171 each (215/40/R17) - $181.50 from Jax Quickfit

Federal 595-SS, also from Option 1 for $113 each (215/40/R17) - $110 from Jax Quickfit

Pirelli P7 from Jax Quickfit for $193 (215/45/R17)

Nexen N6000 from Jax Quickfit for $147 (215/40/R17)
    Last edited by JMZ; 15th June 2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Old Car 0-100km/h took a friggin long time
    New Car 0-100km/h takes only 5.9sec

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jimbow86 Click here to enlarge

KU31's from Option 1 Garage for $171 each (215/40/R17) - $181.50 from Jax Quickfit

Federal 595-SS, also from Option 1 for $113 each (215/40/R17) - $110 from Jax Quickfit

Excellent. Cheers mate. Will help me a lot

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by J Click here to enlarge
    The AD08's in 215/45R17 do have a load rating of 87, but the overall increase in wheel/tyre diameter is 64.84mm, or 3.56%, and I have been told by some tyre shops that the overall diameter of each wheel/tyre must not exceed 15mm from stock, at least in NSW. I didn't believe this at first, but then I found these...
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ifications.pdf (middle and bottom of page 2):

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf (bottom of page 2 and the top of page 3)

So it looks like it is more trouble than it is worth for me.
    Sorry people, I must've been dozing off when I typed that!

The difference in circumference between the 215/40R17 and the 215/45R17 is 64.84mm. But the difference in diameter between the 215/40R17 and the 215/45R17 is actually only 20.64mm. Still, as it exceeeds the legal requirements in NSW (unless you have an engineering certificate, which I don't have time or energy for), I will have to abandon that option. However, I thought it is best for me to post the correction anyway, in case I've misled anyone!

Anyway, I will put on the RE002's as soon as they become available in 215/40R17, and let you all know what I think of them...
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jimbow86 Click here to enlarge

Thank you jimbow86. Nice stuff!

From Tempe Tyres, I was quoted about 1 week ago, KU31's for $130 each, and Falken FK452 for $150 each. Both in the 215/40R17 size, and the price includes fitting and balancing. So it might be worth working out if it is worth getting tyres from them after P&H, and then having them fitted and wheel aligned in Brissy...
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Paddy Click here to enlarge
    Paddy here, just new today but this is just the thread I need as it's one of my first priorities besides the 120k service on my vecy C

I need 4 new paws and I don't really want to spend a few hundred each corner. It's the family car but we drive like it should be driven so I need somethin half decent. currently runningon the standard 215/50/17 Vestra alloys (rare tyres!!!).
    I found the Khumo KU31 or the KH16 or 17 were available and am currently swaying towards the KU31. A mate of mine had them on his skyline and said they were good all rounders unless you want to go drifting, not likelyClick here to enlarge Kmart doiung them for $179 each.

So what do I do? Who can offer alternatives for my vecy C CDXI? I'm after in order of preference Good wear, quite, decent grip.
    Welcome Paddy to OA!

Amongst the 3 Kumho's you have listed, if you want tyre life and low noise more than outright grip, then according to www.kumho.com.au, the KH17 would better fit your needs than the KU31. There are other Kumho models available too, and some of them might even come in your size. I would suggest you have a look there. Just make sure they meet the load rating for your car. I am sure other Veccy C CDXi owners can confirm this with you, or simply have a look at your tyre placard!

I was going to second guy 27's advice regarding getting Kumho's from Option 1 Garage, especially considering they are great value, and are only located 12 minutes from the Brisbane CBD (according to Google Maps). But as we have found out just then, it might be cheaper for you to get the tyres posted from Tempe Tyres and then having them fitted and wheel aligned locally instead.

Whichever way you go about this, hopefully a correct wheel alignment will help prevent the new rears from scalloping!

[Also, ask for the manufacture date/week of the tyres. No point buying tyres at a "good" price when they are, say, more than 1 year old, as tyre performance degrades the older they are, and personally, I would avoid using anything that is more than 5 years old!]

Having said all that, if I am in your shoes, and depending how spirited is your driving style, I would call up all the Bridgestone retailers in Brissy, and see what kind of deal they can do for the RE001's (in 215/50R17 91W. Again, provided your car's load rating is 91 or less). Then I would consider whether I value safety enough to justify the extra spend. Personally, I would go for the RE001's before the KU31's, simply because even if I drive granny-style 24/7, I'd never know when *that* instant would come, when I would need all the extra agility, stability, and reduced stopping distance that are available on-call from the RE001's in order for me to avoid an accident.

For the record, my current RE001's have served me well for tens of thousands of km's (I need to check the log book for exact km's!) using my efficient driving style. They don't seem to lose grip as they wear out over time, as quickly as the other tyre I had (Toyo Proxes4), so Bridgestone's claim that they have grippier compounds at lower tread depth(s) may be plausible. In fact, they haven't really started slipping until now, when they are about 1 or 2mm above the indicator, and *only* when I do 90-degree tight suburban corners at above average speeds, in the pouring wet!
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks J,

I considered KH17's but there a little on the suburban side. I like some performance that's why I'll probably go witht the KU31's. I checked Bridgestones because that's what I always had on the old Berlina but there a little on the steep side for me at the moment (kids graduating, schoolies blah blah) I'd rather spend the money but it'll be next time around. All the tyres mentioned come in the correct load rating so that's cool and my driving style has become more sedate as I age. I still enjoy blasting through the hills on the weekends but I don't take as many risks anymore!

I'll taqke Guy 27's advise and check out Option 1 Garage. Never heard of them but they sound good.

If I buy new tyres that's waht I want on the car. Nothing worse than old hard rubber.

The problem with the Veccy is that the tyre size doesn't give a great deal of choice unless you want to spend big.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy, Had the rears aligned as best they could. They did a full 4 wheel alignment but it makes very little difference. It's an is with the Veccy's however it doesn't seem to wear the tyres out any earlier it just makes them a little noisy.

I'll check it again when I get the Khumo's or as J suggested I may be tempted to look at the Bridgestones 01's however I think they may have been replaced with 02's as someone else mentioned. They weren't cheap but they are Bridgestones and I always used to have Turanza's.

Kmart at Garden City were doing the KU31's in 215/50/17 for $179 and the KH17 for $169

Thread Information