Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Thread

I'm new here, please be nice Glenn2199's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help and advice guy & hzrd. Sure helps researching into my original post:

g'day everyone and i hope this is the right area to post this question. i am finally up for new tyres on my 2002 Sri which is currently sporting the original Michelin Pilot HX 205/50 R16 tyres.
    would it be wise to replace them with the same tyres or can anybody recommend a suitable (i.e. less pricey) substitute.
    i would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    for a less pricey substitute, i would recommend Kuhmo Ku31's. they are a pretty good tyre and alot of the guys here use them Click here to enlarge
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want a track / road tyre and can spring for them, the Yokohama AD08's are excellent.

A TS/G/Mk4 SRi-T can run them in 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 with no issues. Wet and dry performance is perfect and track handling is way above a normal road tyre. Wear so far on mine has been very good.

A good track only tyre is the Toyo R888. I have run them and they wear well, very progressive and high overall grip if not as much as other r-comp tyres. This is offset by their cheaper price.

Outright grip, Hoosier R6 or Yokohama A050''s.
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's the wear rates on Conti CS2s?

My previous two set sof Turanza ER300 (OEM for my CDTi) both lasted around 25K and I'm up for a new set again. Damn Canberra roundabouts Click here to enlarge

At around $185x4 I'm quite tempted to take a run up to Sydney to visit St George, if they can do a set of Conti CS2s for $550. That will cost me <$50 for fuel and tolls for that run, and I can't see them wanting >$100 for fitting.

Being a sports tyre I'm not expecting massively good wear rates, but can anyone give me an indication of how much worse I'd should be expecting than a touring tyre like the ER300 (especially since I'm not getting great life out of those)? 25K is about two years driving for me.

If anyone else wants to throw a recommendation my way in a 205/55R16 you're more than welcome.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    whats the difference between kumho ku31's and kumho ku36's?? which one is better for everyday road use on the veccy stock 17's?
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by adam_92 Click here to enlarge
    whats the difference between kumho ku31's and kumho ku36's?? which one is better for everyday road use on the veccy stock 17's?
    The 36 is a much softer compound with a lot less grooves. It's really intended to be a dry weather road/track tyre.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Michellin, Goodyear, Bridgstone are leading the way in popularity closely followed by Yokohama.

I had Nakangs......shite......absolute shite in the wet. A tonne of understeer and won't pull up at all.
    Old Car 0-100km/h took a friggin long time
    New Car 0-100km/h takes only 5.9sec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gman Click here to enlarge
    If you want a track / road tyre and can spring for them, the Yokohama AD08's are excellent.

A TS/G/Mk4 SRi-T can run them in 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 with no issues. Wet and dry performance is perfect and track handling is way above a normal road tyre. Wear so far on mine has been very good.

A good track only tyre is the Toyo R888. I have run them and they wear well, very progressive and high overall grip if not as much as other r-comp tyres. This is offset by their cheaper price.

Outright grip, Hoosier R6 or Yokohama A050''s.
    Thank you gman. That is very useful.

I really want to try the AD08's, but for the standard TS SRi-T size of 215/40R17, the load rating is only 83, meaning that it is below the requirement of 87, at least according to the car's brochure (my car and handbook are with my mechanic right now, so I can't check from there)...

Can someone please check their handbook or tyre placard on their TS SRi-T's to confirm the minimum load rating specific to these Astra models? Thank you!

The AD08's in 215/45R17 do have a load rating of 87, but the overall increase in wheel/tyre diameter is 64.84mm, or 3.56%, and I have been told by some tyre shops that the overall diameter of each wheel/tyre must not exceed 15mm from stock, at least in NSW. I didn't believe this at first, but then I found these...
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ifications.pdf (middle and bottom of page 2):
    Fitting alternative wheels and tyres by changing the outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination by no more than 15 mm over the largest or below the smallest combination specified by the vehicle’s manufacturer.
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf (bottom of page 2 and the top of page 3)
    The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

Replacement wheels requiring an engineering certificate
    Wheels that exceed the diameter and width limits for minor wheel changes must be assessed by a signatory. If the signatory finds that the wheels are safe for your vehicle, you will be issued with an engineering certificate.
    The vehicle owner must notify the RTA so that registration records can be updated. This is done by obtaining an “Adjustment of Records” and a “blue slip” from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS).
    (contact the RTA Customer Service Centre on 13 22 13 for details of your nearest AUVIS).
    The Adjustment of Records, blue slip and engineering certificate are then presented at a Motor Registry.
    The owners copy of the engineering certificate is stamped and endorsed by the RTA and must be kept in the vehicle. This certificate must be presented to an authorised officer of the RTA or the Police when requested.

So it looks like it is more trouble than it is worth for me.

Incidentally, whilst pricing up the Bridgestone Adrenalin's (aka RE001's), I've noticed that the new Bridgestone RE002 and S001 have been launched:
    http://www.bridgestone.com.au/media/articles/re002.aspx
    http://www.bridgestone.com.au/media/articles/s001.aspx

The RE002 is supposedly better than the Adrenalin's in almost every area. Have anyone tried these out yet? What are your thoughts on them? Please share! Thank you!
    Last edited by J; 9th June 2011 at 08:38 AM.
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI-

I tried 225/45R17s (CSC2) on the front of the astra.

My suspension (at that time) was lowered with a fair bit of camber.

It scrubbed... scraped both the plactic liner & chuck out of the tyre.

I wouldn't recommend it, both the cost of the tyre, switching back and forth, plus the inconvenience of it.

I'm now using 215/45R17s (re001) without any issues.

I haven't noticed any reduction in sidewall flex/handling going from 215/40 to 215/45, however as expected the ride is more compliant.

As another bonus, the 45 is cheaper than the 40.

The RE002 press release is only a month old, but according to Bridgestone, appears to be an improvement..

They (re001) are my current tyre of choice for a non-track tyre., I'll try the re002 when my tyres wear out.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow... S001 is out..

I wonder how much better it is over the RE001 and RE050...

they haven't really had the Sxxx since the much revered S03
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Thread Information