I've had exactly 40 years of driving on all manner of tyres, and during that period it was quite clear to me that some tyres were considerably better than others, with Goodyear rubber consistently being the best wearing and handling tyre for my purposes.

For high-speed use in wet weather, Goodyear Ducaros are without a doubt in a league of their own, although their slightly softer compound does tend to impact somewhat on their long-term wear. I've found that in my case, the best overall results were obtained using Goodyear Eagle GA tyres, with better than average wet-weather performance, and exceptional grip on dry roads.

As I'm running conventional 215/60R15 tyres on my Vectra's factory alloys, there's no real point in my opting for a more expensive, higher performance tyre, but were I to fit a set of 18" or 19" wheels, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 low-profile tyres, which are arguably one of the best tyres currently available. IMO, of course. Click here to enlarge