Thread: The Tyre Thread

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    Why?
    Doesnt say it in the ad so they better fkn not be
    You might be right cause Mercs only got run flats recently as ive just read, i thought they've had them for a couple of years!!
    BroTek Performance Pty Ltd

Current:
    2003 Astra SRi Turbo & 2004 Barina SXi
    Ex's: 2001 Astra CD & 2001 Astra SRi 2.2, plus a long list of non Opels...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    thank god for that
    really wasnt wanting to have to onsell them again
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Got some el-cheapo 185/60R14s on the GSi. Okay for regular use, but in the corners they suck really bad. Doesn't take too long to find their limit. Once I've got the thing going again, I'm looking at going some 15's or 16's with some decent rubber on them. I've also noticed that some people buy their tyres online these days, so there must be some good places out there to look at.

Also, my van must have had some of the worst tyres ever fitted to a vehicle. Hyundai iLoad, 215/70R16 Hankook RA08's. No good in the dry and no good in the wet either. Have to take off very slowly in the wet so the tyres don't lose grip. Worst part is, Hankook specially developed these tyres for this van and they cost in excess of $250 per corner. Not to mention, the $165 Nexens I have on the front now have more grip, better wear and are quieter than the RA08s.
    2001 Opel Corsa C SRi: Z20LET EDS stage 3.5 173.9kW @ the wheels Build thread and here on FB: http://www.facebook.com/corsasriz20let
    2018 Ford Transit 290S: Transit #2, in that order and it's also a POS
    1998 Opel Combo B: It has begun, and it's stalled - Build thread and FB page
    2009 Holden Commodore VE SS: Gen IV LS power for the inner bogan

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bridgestone Potenza's are buy 3 get the 4th free till the end of the month if anyones looking at replacements.

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/potenza/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone tried Kumho KU39s yet? The only thing I didn't like about the KU31s I got last time was they had a directional tread pattern, which meant rotation from left to right is hard (tyre has to come off wheel), and you really can't use one on your spare at all. The KU39s are an asymmetric pattern, which I'd prefer -- but are they as good in other regards?

I'm also looking for a recommendation for a 185/65/R15 tyre. That means no KU31s or KU39s -- they just don't seem to come in that size. KU27s do come in that size -- anyone had them previously? Any other suggestions?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone used Dunlop Direzza DZ101's

Im getting a set for my 18's for 220 a pop. which im told is a good price, anyone care to agree/disagree?!?!?!
    And how are they for cornering?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for not responding to this thread for a while...

Bloodnok: from memory, the KU39 did alright in the last tyre test on Wheels magazine. But that would have been some time last year. Reviews from TireRack are not so glowing, though, but alright from www.tyrereviews.co.uk. I guess for the latter, it largely depends on how old and/or shoddy the tyres the reviewers had before switching to the KU39. Still, it appears they are definitely not bad for the price!

Shay: I think the DZ101's have been around for a while. I think they were not bad back in those days...

However, having used worn out 215/40 Toyo Proxes 4 then 215/40 Bridgestone RE001 (got around 40,000km out of those, including complete supsension upgrade halfway through) and now 205/45 Bridgestone RE002 (took advantage of the $100 cash back from Bob Jane back in June) in the same car, IMHO these Bridgestones are perfect for the price for mild to intense street driving. They are even alright as a touring tyre (both are quite quiet)!
    2001 Star Silver Corsa C
    2003 Star Silver Astra G OPC - gone to a good home
    2004 White Grandis Luxury
    2005 Platinum 380 LX dual fuel

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by J Click here to enlarge
    Sorry for not responding to this thread for a while...

Bloodnok: from memory, the KU39 did alright in the last tyre test on Wheels magazine. But that would have been some time last year. Reviews from TireRack are not so glowing, though, but alright from www.tyrereviews.co.uk. I guess for the latter, it largely depends on how old and/or shoddy the tyres the reviewers had before switching to the KU39. Still, it appears they are definitely not bad for the price!

Shay: I think the DZ101's have been around for a while. I think they were not bad back in those days...

However, having used worn out 215/40 Toyo Proxes 4 then 215/40 Bridgestone RE001 (got around 40,000km out of those, including complete supsension upgrade halfway through) and now 205/45 Bridgestone RE002 (took advantage of the $100 cash back from Bob Jane back in June) in the same car, IMHO these Bridgestones are perfect for the price for mild to intense street driving. They are even alright as a touring tyre (both are quite quiet)!
    Got the 2's on the nurb, great all round tyres, especially in the wet!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just went and had a look at these in 205/45/16 coz im in need of two more very soon

Kuhmo KH17 - $130 (had these on the front of Jen's astra, got ~50k's out of them and went well)
    Falken ZE912 - $185 (had these on the calibra, went pretty good but took a bit to warm up)
    RE002 - $194 (as above comments)

So from the last few posts... the RE002's seem to be the ones to go for?? It goes above my budget a little but if they are the better tyre it seems silly to go for the less premium just to save a few bucks...

Note: im only getting two. the conti CS2's still have a shitload of tread and will move to the rear
    Last edited by hazrd; 11th August 2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah go for the RE002.. good all round tyre, it's worth that little bit extra.

I can't wait to replace the CSC2 with RE002s as they are so noisy, but still have a bit of tread left...
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Thread Information