Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tyre Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had exactly 40 years of driving on all manner of tyres, and during that period it was quite clear to me that some tyres were considerably better than others, with Goodyear rubber consistently being the best wearing and handling tyre for my purposes.

For high-speed use in wet weather, Goodyear Ducaros are without a doubt in a league of their own, although their slightly softer compound does tend to impact somewhat on their long-term wear. I've found that in my case, the best overall results were obtained using Goodyear Eagle GA tyres, with better than average wet-weather performance, and exceptional grip on dry roads.

As I'm running conventional 215/60R15 tyres on my Vectra's factory alloys, there's no real point in my opting for a more expensive, higher performance tyre, but were I to fit a set of 18" or 19" wheels, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 low-profile tyres, which are arguably one of the best tyres currently available. IMO, of course. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have always like Yokohama's. Before I sold the Veccy, I had it fitted all round with A539's - compared to the Dunlop (Dunslip) Monza's that were on it as OEM, the difference was staggering. They were a lot softer and therefore would not last the 50K the Dunlops did, but I would trade that for a safer, better tyre.

I also recently had my wife's Astra fitted with Yokohama A-Drive's on the front. Another fantastic tyre. Have only had them on for about 4 days so can't really judge them yet in terms of handling or braking, but the car feels better to drive than what it did on the (again) OEM Dunlops.

The Potenza's are about to go in the Rex and due to them being $380 a pop to replace - will be opting for Yokohama A-Drive R1's at a more reasonable $250 each.
    And no, I don't work for Yokohama.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Sometimes..even I don't know where I am...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm usually a Michellin Man. (my body physique possible also approximates his aswell)

My first car, a mtsubishi Cordia turbo had factory alloys with some Bridgestone budget crap.. Yes, crap.

These were replaced with a set of rims and Michellin MXV2's. No longer available (Isnt technology great?), these lasted approx 70KkM on that car with me driving it... really pleased, and they gripped well too. They were replaced with Crap Dunlop W1's. Meant to be a performance tyre, but were nowhere near as good as the michellins, I think they only lasted me 15Kkm's.
    1997 WRX. 17's with Michellin MXF Sport. Sold the car at 50Kkm, and the tyres were still going strong.. not the best (not a french manufacture) in grip (car assisted that), but that car received quite a bit of punishment....

Next, Mazda MX5 with 17" Dunlop Lemans 701. All I can say is... crap. Crap longevity, crap grip, horrible wet weather performance.. the car would slide in downshifting down a hill...that's how crap they are. Couldnt wait for the 27,000 Km's that they lasted to pass up. Replaced with a set of Bridgestone Grid 3. Much quieter (but certainly not quiet). good grip, good wet weather, good wear.

co-incidently, my Fiat 124 Coupe. I have a set of 13" Yoko A509, and 14" Sava Intensa... the sava need Saving... hold on for dear life in the wet.

Next.. 2003 GDB Subaru STI. factory Bridgestone RE050. Good tyre.. very good tyre actually. Good wear, good grip, but very stiff sidewall. Never changed the tyres on that one, but considered Bridgestone SO3's but was concerened re longevity

Wife's Convertible Astra. Factory Dunlop crap on that. And they are CRAP. tyre is cracking. Never seen that before on any of my cars. Wheel alignment bloke also advised me, that he's seen it on that tyre aswell. Not good. noit happy, and poor wear, grip? Meh... why did they change the tyre supplier from Michellin to Dunlop? I would have been happy to pay a few extra bucks and get the michellins that last longer, made better, and grip better.30,000Km's on the clock (wife's K's) and I'm looking for replacements.

My Wagon? 18"s with Bridgestone G3's. ( I have a deal with a bridgestone supplier). Considered firestone wide-oval (cheaper but had no personal experience), and SO3's (not much more money, but less lifespan..and overkill on the wagon). really happy with them. Could be quieter, but OK. wear is excellent for a tyre of this class, and lateral grip is good. wet weather is good too.

So, what are my guidelines for me?
    Never, ever buy dunlop again. Been disappointed twice, where once was enough
    Prefer Michellin and conti, but due to frequent vehicle turnover can't justify the vast premium.
    Will stick with Bridgestone/firestone (Pardon the pun) due to value for money (good deal) and good product in the more premium range.

Goodyear F1/GSD. Have heard very good, and very bad things about these.. I think there was a change in them from early on to now....Now being the better ones.
    More opportunities have been lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision.
    Current and past Automotive list: 1984 Cordia Turbo, 1997 WRX, 1998 Forester, 1975 124 CC Sport, 1999 MX5, 2003 STi, 2004 TS Convertible, 2006 AH CDX Wagon, 1972 124 BS Spider, 1962 Vespa GL, 1975 124 CS1 Spider, 1974 124 CS Spider, 2007 AH SRI, 2008 AH CDTi, 2008 AH CDX Wagon...as well as 3 more CC Sports, 1 x AC Sport..Now with added new Colorado space cab extended pick-up! 8 still in current possession...I need a larger Garage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i currently have faulkens on my beep beep sri atm, thee arent to bad. i do prefer michelin energys as these had lasted me 50k kms and had excellent grip, wear and tear, and minimal road noise.

i previously had nankang cr@p when i went with 17' wheels, these were horrible.

i previously work in the tyre industry and found the top quality tyres were mich, pirelli, continental, yoko, and some bidgestone and goodyears. all these have there good and bad points.

for me i would go with mich every time if they werent so damn expensive, but then again, can you really put a price that is the only thing that keeps your life car in contact with the road?

good post...

One of Chuck Norris' sperm found it's way into the gas tank of an 18 wheeler. We now know this truck as Optimus Prime!

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michelin Precedas FTW!

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michelin Pilot Powers

190/50/17 on the back
    120/70/17 on the front

black lines everywhere, withoug doing burnouts.
    about $290 for a rear one, and get about 4000kms.

schweeet!!

BTW, i put them on my bike....
    Click here to enlarge
    For Sale: Sexiest Opel Vectra in the Hawkesbury...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Falken FK452. Good grip, wear quite well and good value. So much better than my Pirelli's I had which had absolutely no grip. They wouldn't let you know when the adhesion limit was being reached, they'd just let go.
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MatsHolden Click here to enlarge
    Falken FK452. Good grip, wear quite well and good value. So much better than my Pirelli's I had which had absolutely no grip. They wouldn't let you know when the adhesion limit was being reached, they'd just let go.
    It's rather interesting that you're the only respondent who has so far mentioned Pirellis, and I was equally as surprised to learn that they're no better than they were 20 years ago. As with yours, the Pirellis on mine were perfectly fine, right up to the point where they suddenly, and without any prior warning, lost all lateral adhesion and put the car into a barely-controllable broadside slide. So much for their state-of-the-art tyre technology! And that was on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, too. God alone knows what might have happened had they been on my FWD Vectra. Click here to enlarge

Haven't used Falken tyres, so can't comment, but their prices seem to be very competitive and the different tread patterns all look quite functional as well. However, while I'm currently getting better than 60,000km from my Goodyear Eagle GAs (set of 4 @ 37psi, rotated front-to-rear every 10,000km), I really can't see any benefit to be gained by changing to a different brand. Besides, for various reasons which I won't go into here, I'll never again buy Dunlops, Bridgestones, Pirellis, or Firestone tyres, and that doesn't really leave a hell of a lot, does it? Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bill_G Click here to enlarge
    It's rather interesting that you're the only respondent who has so far mentioned Pirellis, and I was equally as surprised to learn that they're no better than they were 20 years ago. As with yours, the Pirellis on mine were perfectly fine, right up to the point where they suddenly, and without any prior warning, lost all lateral adhesion and put the car into a barely-controllable broadside slide. So much for their state-of-the-art tyre technology! And that was on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, too. God alone knows what might have happened had they been on my FWD Vectra. Click here to enlarge
    Had a very similar experience with the Pirelli's hence why not a fan. Really didn't expect a FWD compact car like the Barina to get tail happy at 80km/h... just glad I was able to gather it up before the concrete wall. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    VAULT
    vaultid.com

Mr D1 Reverse drift spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on previous cars have run bridgestone potenza which i found not bad. Current Astra had dunlop sports (factory) which were rubbish...... i have just upsized to 16" wheels and some Yokohama C-Drive rubber ($200 a corner) which are fantastic. Have transformed the handling of my astra remarkably..... just soo much grip. I was informed by the tyre center that an equivelant michelin to the c-drive would cost me $300 or there abouts per corner.

I also found on my old EL falcon that the Good Years were quite hard to get balanced correctly...... replaced them with the B-stone Potenza's and problem solved.

Thread Information