Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OpelAus Participant Greenmeanie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motor seems to be locked or seized

I picked up another vectra yesterday.. the reason being the one I am fixing needa a few parts and it was cheaper to buy the whole car..... now this car is better in some instances than the one I am fixing.... The owners said they went to start it one morning and it was seized.
    no oil in coolant... coolant level ok with ethyl glycol
    I cheched the oil and it was overfull 2 litre 4.5 litres and I drained 5.7 and there is still the oil filter. oil was used but not smelling burnt
    I removed the tappet cover and the plugs were full of oil.. i cleaned them out and removed the plugs all seemed ok.
    I put a tube into the barrel and sucked for water or oil ...none found
    i tried to turn over the motor without plugs and I get a clunk from the starter motorand I cant turn it over clockwise or anti clockwise by hand..
    the car is an auto and in neutral..
    Could the starter motor be jambed in the ring gear... I have had a beer so now going to try and remove the starter motor
    I dont really care but the thing I want to know why it wont turn and if it is dead I will check the timing and see it its in line.
    What do you people think. Any ideas
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    When your OPEL serves you LEMONS get the tools out and make it into LEMONADE yum Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    too many possibilities.
    (may of run out of oil, may of overheated and melted something, starter jammed, etc....)

without seeing first hand there is no correct answer to your question.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I went out and tried to move it by hand and it rotated 30 degreesClick here to enlarge and stoppedClick here to enlarge like something was in the ring gear then back the other way and then back again and now it moves 120 degrees . I am only turning by hand and the pistons seem to be sliding freely untill I get to the stop. It feels like everything is ok and meshing then clunk like a broken tooth in a cog.Click here to enlarge

I thought it could be a snapped rod but on a womans auto ? anyway i noticed the sump plug was threaded where it screws tight so decided to pull the sump off and get a look at the crank and very least there should be tell tale signs of metal inside.Click here to enlarge
    Bloody hell you see nothing ,oil pickup and crank is hidden by something as for metal ...not 1 piece sump was nice and clean also.... I think it has to be something in the ring gear so the quest continues.

What a bitch the sump plug is a strange thread so you cant swap it for a bolt,I am going to drill through 3 ten cent pieces and use them for washers where the thread has gone and find some nylon washers to seal. untill I can walk through a wreckers and find one.lol the car is for parts anyway what the ...k am I fixing it for Click here to enlarge
    oh yes I know ..because I canClick here to enlarge
    When your OPEL serves you LEMONS get the tools out and make it into LEMONADE yum Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a felony to destroy currency. In QLD you would probably get fined for this

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nick_sixx Click here to enlarge
    Its a felony to destroy currency. In QLD you would probably get fined for this
    thats correct you not allowed to deface the queen
    knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit - intelligence is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    use NZ coins no one cares for NZ coins haha Click here to enlarge

maybe you should flush the engine with a hose lol Click here to enlarge jk
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why dont you just pull out the starter and see if it turns?

also these cars run a 2 peice sump, so all you removed was the pan, theres still more to the sump to pull out.
    Last edited by Shay; 5th June 2011 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is a bafffel I can see that however thats a bit involved and i dont think the problem is there. The starter comes out now when I get some light and the neighbours dogs get up. lol they are my burglar alarm 8 huskies ,the neingbour breeds them and they are normally quiet but if anything out of the ordinary happens, me working on my car early etc ,all hell breaks loose untill they or me reassure them and i want it to stay that way Click here to enlarge
    You dont know how tempted i am to try the starter motor now I have movement ..lol .. I was at the wreckers the other day and a young lad came in for a distributer for his mazda ,he says it was stuck so he gave it hit with a hammer Click here to enlarge $230 later I think he learnt the hard way ''don't be tempted to force bad crap happens''
    Cheers guys Looks like I have to buy a sump plug then for $3,000 dollars thanks for the heads up Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugger busted rod cylinder 3 now I know I am happy Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant Drache Mithal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many veccy's you got now?
    Last edited by Drache Mithal; 6th June 2011 at 09:43 AM.

Thread Information