View Poll Results: Preferred method of dealing with a windscreen chip?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ignore it

6 54.55%
  • Repair it

4 36.36%
  • Replace the entire windscreen

1 9.09%
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windscreen chip - repair, replace, leave?

I got a chip in my windscreen this morning. Small, not near the edge, and on the passenger side - so repairable. But should I? Is it better to get the entire screen replaced? Or is it not necessary to repair it - just leave it alone?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well- 100% of respondants have recommended to ignore it Click here to enlarge

I've got free windscreen replacements with Shannons Insurance. I'm going to replace it with a Geniune Holden one... well, one of these days when I can be bothered.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I replaced my whole screen as I have the same cover as John and didn't really want to risk it on the track.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a chip on my daughter's Nissan repaired by O'Brien Glass who did a good job. You can barely see the chip now. Worth repairing in case it starts to crack further. Your insurance may pay for the cost of any repair.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hoss Click here to enlarge
    I had a chip on my daughter's Nissan repaired by O'Brien Glass who did a good job. You can barely see the chip now. Worth repairing in case it starts to crack further. Your insurance may pay for the cost of any repair.
    repair it at least. my brothers hilux had a tiny chip. smaller than a 5c coin and now its spread. around 6 months later its now the size of a 10c roughly and splintering/cracking further out. if he repaired it when it hapened it would have been fixed and all sorted. now because he ignored it he is up for a whole new screen
    OPEL ADDICT 1994 CORSA B 1.5D (ENGLAND) 2001 CORSA C 1.2L (ENGLAND) 2004 CORSA C 1.4L (SOLD) 2004 3.2 V6 VECTRA GTS (SOLD)
    1994 CORSA B GSI C16 CONVERTED TO Z18XE (SOLD) 2001 ASTRA VAN Z16SE (CURRENT)

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    repair it, but dont go with obrien (unless covered by insurance). obrien is a rip off and theyll want to charge you $150 plus.
    get it repaired from someone else and youll pay half the price (eg novus or even the smaller windscreen repairers).
    Make me a sandwich.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If its not in the line of sight of driver than its nothing to worry about legally.

I would ignore it until it either cracks or really annoys you. In that case if insurance will cover it than go that route. if they don't contact me.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by guy 27 Click here to enlarge
    If its not in the line of sight of driver than its nothing to worry about legally.
    Nope, passenger side.

I would ignore it until it either cracks or really annoys you. In that case if insurance will cover it than go that route. if they don't contact me.
    I do have glass cover, but they are recommending I don't use it for a mere chip, in case I break the screen in the next 9 months (apparently you can only use it once per renewal).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have two bullseyes... had them for over 2 years
    no spreading or further cracking, even driving on dirt roads with loads of corrugations (sp?)

although with my previous car, i got obrien to repair a bullseye in line of sight and it looked NO different afterwards... biggest waste of money
    '03 Arden Turbo "Tegan"
    '15 Fiesta ST "Tiffany"

Thread Information