I'm new here, please be nice bowie_277's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb saab 9-3 turbo aero viggen engine into vectra

well ive been thinking for a while now wether to buy a saab 9-3 turbo engine and put it in my veccy ive seen it done once before on another forum and he said it goes harder than the astra sri's just want to get some oppinions on the idea from any one ?? the engine is similar to the opel vectra 4cyl engines and i was wondering if the engine would fit with my gearbox or would the saabs gearbox fit into the vectra
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite a big effort modification project to do, if you really want to do it 1st thing I'd suggest is work out the budget involved and then see if it's worth just modifying the existing engine to achieve a similar result or if it's more cost effective/less effort to install the SAAB engine instead...

Power output of any of those can be modified anyway, so if the SAAB's engine has a higher output than the Opel, I'm sure the Opel can be modified to similar and/or greater output, so I wouldn't consider using the SAAB engine if it was just based on that part of it.

If you do choose to modify the existing engine, you can also consider other forced induction options eg: supercharging as there are now kits for these or you could stick to n/a and modify capacity (stroke) the engine and adopt higher performance internals...

Either way you should also consider the rest of the drivetrain as well, if you increase power appreciably you'll need to look at the trans and other associated mechanicals to make sure they cope with the added stress, you need to also address cooling and brakes to make sure the whole package remains reliable and safe...also be aware that modification/s of this type will render the vehicle completely unroadworthy unless you go to great lengths to have it all engineer certified to avoid being pulled off the road in the event of being issued a 'canary'...

Unless it becomes a proper 'street machine type' project or 2nd/3rd car it's all these considerations and more that usually force people to buy something else instead that already has all of what you want from factory especially if it's an everyday car, then just tinker with that Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic Advice Wraith!!!

I'm new here, please be nice bowie_277's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers for that wraith. if i were to go with the supercharger where would i find a kit for it i havent been able to find one. is it in australia or overseas ?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge

EDS-IPF Re-Map, 19" OPC Snowflakes, OPC Rear Spoiler, OPC Rear Diffuser, Remus Exhaust, Irmscher Front Spoiler, Irmscher Front Grille, Irmscher Eyebrows Signum Fog Surrounds and Lower Grille, K&N Apollo Intake, Koni Yellow Adjustable Dampers, Eibach Pro-Kit, DBA 5000 Gold Rotors, M-Tech Shifter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bowie_277 Click here to enlarge
    cheers for that wraith. if i were to go with the supercharger where would i find a kit for it i havent been able to find one. is it in australia or overseas ?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChrisMaz Click here to enlarge
    Yep, O/S for complete bolt on ready made kits...

Otherwise there are plenty of local tuners/tuner shops that will do a 'bespoke' or custom job just for your particular application but be advised either way is going to be an expensive excercise and usually ends up being an ongoing thing as many issues usually arise with such modifications, I know being there and done that so many times myself in the past...

See how you go with more research on the subject and hope it all works out one way or the other Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChrisMaz Click here to enlarge
    wont work with the aussie 2.2L

and wraith, glenn is putting out close to 300kw atw through std gb, could get away with std dif to, tho lsd would make it more drivable.
    i agree with sticking with the std engine, you can do enough to them.

auzvectra used the veccy 2.2L block on his astra turbo and made a butt load of power too....

Thread Information