Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    transmitting 'wiresless' over say 100sq/m is a dick load easier than 7.69 million square kilometres
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how much wireless transmitters would cost in terms of power consumption as well... it would far be greater than a wired network
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by btm Click here to enlarge
    http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...524-1f1b5.html

Computer users who despair over slow internet connections should take heart - German scientists have broken a speed record, sending data contained on 700 DVDs over a single laser beam, in one second.

The scientists at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) said they had broken the world record by sending data at a speed of 26 terabits per second.

The data, sent over 50 kilometres on a single laser beam, was coded thanks to a system known as orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) in which the laser beam is divided into separate colour streams.

"With 26 terabits per second, you can simultaneously transmit up to 400 million telephone calls per second," said Professor Juerg Leuthold of the institute in a statement.
    Thats where I was born Click here to enlarge
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX | Forged Build | Build Thread
    Forged Build 12.23s @ 182km/h& The Run

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will find Dhalia was referring to the "Wireless nature" of the tv remote and not its implementation in internet or telecommunications.

i.e - can you imagine using your tv remote with a wire attached between it and the tv? ( I know a few of us remember owning one that did )

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MAD-16V Click here to enlarge
    I think you will find Dhalia was referring to the "Wireless nature" of the tv remote and not its implementation in internet or telecommunications.

i.e - can you imagine using your tv remote with a wire attached between it and the tv? ( I know a few of us remember owning one that did )
    Exactly what I was talking about.
    Everyone keeps saying wireless technology isn't good enough. And I agree. I'm talking about better wireless technology. Something that doesn't exist yet.
    Click here to enlarge
    2002 Astra G Sedan
    Current Project:
    CarPC

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry Dalia, no matter what is invented with regard to wireless connections unless we re-write the laws of physics using a hard line connection that sends data through broad spectrum light transmission it will always be quicker than wireless over any distance that matters...
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dahlia Click here to enlarge
    Exactly what I was talking about.
    Everyone keeps saying wireless technology isn't good enough. And I agree. I'm talking about better wireless technology. Something that doesn't exist yet.
    That's all well and good but what do we do in the mean time? It's like saying Flying cars are far better than normal cars and we need to use them... So what do we do in the meantime? Stop investing in normal cars and put up with what we have for 10-15 years (maybe more). It would be silly to halt all tried and tested methods (overseas fiber has been around for a while) and bank on something that does not exist and has no estimated timeframe for development
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider Click here to enlarge
    That's all well and good but what do we do in the mean time? It's like saying Flying cars are far better than normal cars and we need to use them... So what do we do in the meantime? Stop investing in normal cars and put up with what we have for 10-15 years (maybe more). It would be silly to halt all tried and tested methods (overseas fiber has been around for a while) and bank on something that does not exist and has no estimated timeframe for development
    People would of thought 26 terabits per second would be impossible.
    Click here to enlarge
    2002 Astra G Sedan
    Current Project:
    CarPC

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dahlia Click here to enlarge
    People would of thought 26 terabits per second would be impossible.
    ... and where do you think that laser is pointed? This 26 terabit technology could run in two ways. One is over optical fibre, or be fixed position point to point links - between two transmission towers / masts which are sited such that it is impossible to introduce a view block between them. Getting approval for that kind of thing requires much planning considerations - e.g. preventing people building tall buildings in the path between the masts, making sure trees can't grow up to block it, and so on. This is not the kind of wireless that people associate with freedom and mobility...

(And no, I couldn't have guessed the capacity was precisely 26 terabit, but I knew there was an enormous amount of headroom in optical fibre / laser transmission technology before we hit a physics problem).
    Last edited by Bloodnok; 25th May 2011 at 09:05 AM.

Thread Information