Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider Click here to enlarge
    would be quite surprised by that, my N draft router broadcasts B, G and N (presumably simultaneously in 2.4ghz band)
    It's all about frequencies and how they are used. 802.11b and 802.11g are 2.4GHz, 802.11a is 5GHz, and 802.11n uses both frequencies at once, and will allocate channels on the fly as well. Beware "draft N" too - 802.11n took many years to ratify, and most "draft N" equipment doesn't meet the final N spec. (It may not work with "proper" N equipment - although you may find a firmware update will fix that in some cases).

It's also important to realise how the different speeds work - a device using 802.11b talking to a "B and G" router at 5mbit/sec is occupying a potential ~25mbit to an 802.11g device, even though it isn't communicating that fast.

If they want to fix the narrow and/or overlapping channels associated with current technology, or get out of the 2.4GHz frequency space of microwave ovens (which cause a significant slowdown to wireless internet), then compatibility with B and G will have to go.

The next standard (802.11ac) proposes just that - more channels, and bigger channels, occupying more frequency space in the ~5GHz band. I'd say they'd find a way to make it backwards compatible with 802.11n (and possibly 802.11a - not that anyone really has much 802.11a, but still...), but it won't be backwards compatible with 802.11b or 802.11g.

However, given 'n' was something like 5 years in the pipeline before being a ratified standard, I'd say there's plenty of time before you see 802.11ac devices for real. Two years is probably a reasonable estimate. If they turn up marked "draft", avoid - you could be in for big compatibility problems later...

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloodnok,

I was referring to the cost of getting someone in to run the wires through the walls, from the kitchen downstairs to upstairs.

The cables and switch is cheap, but the installation of 3 separate points isn't. Getting a plumber to come around to install a 20 cent washer will cost you $80.

I like wired too, just in this case, the data is not critical, even movies aren't streamed... it's just for 8 and 6yo to use the internet on their PCs..
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a think about it, I'm going to get one of each.

The PCI card for the slower ATX cased machine and the USB for the HP Small Form Factor machine ..

Hope they both do the job
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    I was referring to the cost of getting someone in to run the wires through the walls, from the kitchen downstairs to upstairs.
    Ah, fair enough. For those unaware, there's a rather odd bit of legislation in play here.

In a dwelling (but IIRC interestingly not a business premises) any cable installed permanently in the building must be done by a licensed electrician. That applies whether it's at mains voltage or not.

So someone who is a qualified Ethernet installer can do large scale installs for businesses, but is not allowed to put down a single piece of ethernet in their own home.

Chances are this was entirely unintentional (probably done before anything other than mains was a common fitment in a house), but given it's turned into a moneyspinner for both electricians and government (who sell said licenses for lots of money per year) they aren't going to fix it.

The way round this is to run cables on the surface. Obviously this can be a problem, depending on how complicated the potential route is. IIRC tucking the wire under the edge of a carpet still counts as surface, but putting it behind a skirting board or coving doesn't, so there are very limited opportunities to hide it out of sight.

Dammit - at times I really miss England. Part P regulations may be a pain in the butt, but they are infinitely less of a pain in the butt than the Australian version...

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naah, having ethernet cables run on the surface up the wood staircase, isn't going to look too good... lol..

The odd thing is, alot of electricians don't run ethernet cables very well.

Meh, to be honest, if I really needed cat5, I'll just do it myself through the walls. But that's too much work.. haha
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    The odd thing is, alot of electricians don't run ethernet cables very well.
    Yep. They aren't trained for it, they aren't qualified for it - yet the people who are trained and qualified for it aren't allowed to put it in a house...

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bloodnok Click here to enlarge
    Ah, fair enough. For those unaware, there's a rather odd bit of legislation in play here.

In a dwelling (but IIRC interestingly not a business premises) any cable installed permanently in the building must be done by a licensed electrician. That applies whether it's at mains voltage or not.

So someone who is a qualified Ethernet installer can do large scale installs for businesses, but is not allowed to put down a single piece of ethernet in their own home.

Chances are this was entirely unintentional (probably done before anything other than mains was a common fitment in a house), but given it's turned into a moneyspinner for both electricians and government (who sell said licenses for lots of money per year) they aren't going to fix it.

The way round this is to run cables on the surface. Obviously this can be a problem, depending on how complicated the potential route is. IIRC tucking the wire under the edge of a carpet still counts as surface, but putting it behind a skirting board or coving doesn't, so there are very limited opportunities to hide it out of sight.

Dammit - at times I really miss England. Part P regulations may be a pain in the butt, but they are infinitely less of a pain in the butt than the Australian version...
    So that would extend to tv antenna coax? Ie. fitting a splitter and running a 2nd cable in the roof for a 2nd wall point
    Glider aka Toby, 94 Calibra Turbo
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider Click here to enlarge
    So that would extend to tv antenna coax? Ie. fitting a splitter and running a 2nd cable in the roof for a 2nd wall point
    Yes, it would.

(Actually, now I think of it, I may have been advised it's a QLD specific rule, and not universal across Australia?)

Thread Information