Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can now add the following link to the list.

GM subsiduaries looking at future coupe.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/13/b...-in-the-works/
    Click here to enlarge

EDS-IPF Re-Map, 19" OPC Snowflakes, OPC Rear Spoiler, OPC Rear Diffuser, Remus Exhaust, Irmscher Front Spoiler, Irmscher Front Grille, Irmscher Eyebrows Signum Fog Surrounds and Lower Grille, K&N Apollo Intake, Koni Yellow Adjustable Dampers, Eibach Pro-Kit, DBA 5000 Gold Rotors, M-Tech Shifter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    Queue false story #4 on the Calibra Click here to enlarge

Forgive me for not feeling excited. But the never ending articles on the "new Calibra" is starting to sound a lot like the boy who cried wolf...

I'm sure Pete and Ange will back me up here....
    Sadly yes Click here to enlarge

But I for one and I'm sure many others certainly hope for a new modern Calibra to one day come along Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't like it at all. Particularly those front vertical air intakes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bloodnok Click here to enlarge
    The old Cali was a Vectra in drag. Mechanicals (at least before they started fitting 4wd) were all pure Vectra A - the only dedicated Calibra bits was the bodywork and fittings. And even then you can still see more than a hint of Vectra A in some of them, so it's clearly a derived design. Even when they did fit 4wd, it still all came from the parts bin. The rear axle is straight off a Rekord (Carlton) IIRC.

I can see a new Cali being made - but only if it can be done the same way. Stick a rakish coupe shape over an existing proven floorplan. Astra is too small (and the 3 door astra is pretty "coupe like" already). Insignia is a lot bigger now than the old Vec A was - so it's probably a little large to pull off a sporty Coupe - it'd end up as a grand tourer, which is a different market segment altogether, and probably not something Opel want to wander into. So they'd need a car between the Astra and the Insignia to base it on.

While that car does not exist, there will be no new Calibra.

So where might that car come from?

There was something (on Opel's facebook page IIRC) polling people about which name they'd like to see on a replacement for the Astra Vert - and it indicated it wouldn't simply be an Astra Vert - it would be a model pitched above that.

IIRC they mentioned something about being designed from the ground up as a convertible - which will mean it won't be an Astra floorpan with a vert body chucked on. Now, that doesn't say it's a bigger car than the astra, but it also doesn't restrict it in any way to Astra proportions. If it ends up being significantly bigger than a 3 door Astra, I can see a hardtop version being made - and it could be considered the "new calibra" that the rumour mill simply won't let die.

However, there's no firm information on this softtop yet. Look to see that before anything real about a hardtop coupe comes out.
    Think you got the models mixed up, the Calibra is/was an old Cavalier in drag, including the 4x4 turbo variant, the Vectra came afterwards and as you said only the 1st releases had the same mechanicals and even some of the the interior fit out, however there were many 'minor but detailed' changes to the mechanicals, the Vecce C of course is totally different in it's mechanicals...

I too think the Calibra name will definitely be re-introduced some time in the future, with all these new Opel models line up coming it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of them being proposed is a sleek coupe, then IMO they're looking at using the Calibra nameplate for it...

As we all know the Cali was a flop here in Aust. but in Europe and in many other O/S markets it did extremely well, AFAIK even until now in Europe in terms of numbers sold, the Cali was the highest selling coupe ever - don't know if that's still the case though ??
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Think you got the models mixed up, the Calibra is/was an old Cavalier in drag
    Heh - depends what country you come from. Opel Vectra A (Europe) == Vauxhall Cavalier (Britain). That specific version wasn't sold here...

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Vauxhall came up with a new coupé, the Calibra, developed from the Cavalier Mark III, to replace the discontinued Opel Manta. The Calibra was well received, notably for its sporty although cramped interior (largely based on the interior of the Cavalier) and its streamlined styling which in turn, enabled the Calibra to have the lowest drag coefficient of the period at 0.26 for the 8v model (0.29 for the rest).[citation needed] A few variants were made: the 2.0 litre 8-valve, 2.0 L 16-valve (the same engine in the proven Cavalier Gsi2000), the turbo version (again, the same engine used in the very successful Cavalier Turbo), the 2.5 L V6 and finally the 2.0 L 16-valve "Ecotec".
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and from the same wikipedia article Click here to enlarge

The last Cavalier was introduced in October 1988 for the 1989 model year, being Vauxhall's version of the Opel Vectra "A"

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge

schooled.
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fair enough, I didn't realise the Cavalier was named Vectra in some Countries, that's the 1st I've ever heard of that one Click here to enlarge

Obvious confusion would arise from that...
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    That's fair enough, I didn't realise the Cavalier was named Vectra in some Countries, that's the 1st I've ever heard of that one Click here to enlarge
    Cavalier is Vauxhall's name - Opel went straight from the Ascona to the Vectra. Vauxhall hung onto the Cavalier name for one more generation before switching to Vectra in line with Opel.

Obvious confusion would arise from that...
    Yep, Opel/Vauxhall naming strategy is great fun, as they've slowly come to agree on what things should be called - but never both moving to a new name at the same time...

Thread Information