0 Thread(s)

Putty Road, Yesterday

not even 12 months since the full restoration was complete, this happens

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/ferra...in-7590.0.html

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by from above link
    Car had literally been through a service with a Sydney independent the day before. Younger brother driving it, me in the Esprit, a customer in the yellow porsche and the 360 leading up front.

We made it throught Sydney, started up Putty Road, and were just about at Kolo, where there's a few bends and it's the start of some great driving. In the rear view I saw younger bro falling back a bit, but he knows the road well and I figured he had to pee or something similarly exciting.

This is the first bit of road with no phone reception, so I drive on with the other two cars about another 5 windy K's to Upper Colo. As soon as I'm elevated and there's reception, the phone starts going nuts with messages.

I pull over, and hear what's possibly the worst possible message you can ever hear. <Crackle ... sh<crackle> MAN ... FIRE ... HELP <crackle>

Looking back down Putty we can see a black plume above the treeline. At this point I know the f*cking 355 is gone, but I'm freaking out as I have no idea whether my brother is OK and at that point I truly do not give a crap about the car. I tell the other guys about the message, and tear off back towards the smoke.

As we come around a bit sweeper downhill, in what is a 100K zone, I see the first massive black smoke, and there's just a ball of fire at the bottom of it. Somehow the road's already blocked off, and I run the Esprit up onto the side bank beside banked traffic and sprint to towards the fire.

There's a fire truck there, just dumping water out of the hoses directly into the 355, which is ablaze from tip to tail. The heat was fierce from literally 100m away. I'm still freaking out, looking for my brother and the police officer who's on the scene practically tackles me as he sees me sprinting downhill. While explaining it's my car, and I need to know what's happened to my brother, I spot him at the other end of the roadblock with other police - I cannot tell you how happy I was to see he seems to be OK.

45 minutes later, the fire's out, roadblock is cleared and literally everyone just drives off. We're left in the middle of the bush, with a burnt out wreck, and no phone reception.

Talking to my younger bro - the car seemed to be running fine, he'd had a few chances to open it up a little and it was running strong. As he was coming up the first round of hills he literally saw a flash from the rear, and saw through the letterbox rear window, a tiny lick of flame. He pulls over on the hill, shuts down the engine and jumps out. In the 10 seconds to do that, the fire's already eaten through the holes in the rear grill. 10 more seconds later, the car starts to rock with the heat, another 10 and it's rolling backwards - presumably as the handbrake cable is melted and gearbox is practically a puddle. Remember this is on a sweeping hill, in a 100K zone through bush. Bro has the amazing sense to reach back into the car (must have been blazing hot) to turn the wheel as the car starts to roll - which means it rolls backward into the embankment - rather than into the middle of a highway - or across he highway, and into the ditch and bushland. Amazing thinking under intense pressure and he saved a bad situation from being a potentially fatal one.

I'll add a bit more on the follow up - but the extinguisher in the car was useless. The fire was far too aggressive. It happened stupidly quick. From flash to on fire end-to-end in maybe 2 minutes, whole car was gutted in less than 30. Amazing work by the police and firemen, both of whom were co-incidentally on the way to investigate other incidents.

A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually i take the 'yesterday' call back... turns out if happened a month or so ago, just posted the story and pics about yesterday

K. Zenios

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh, thats rough! Wonder how it happened?
    Silver 1.8 G (Gone) Silver 2.2 G (Gone) Silver 2.0 Turbo G (Gone too)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an all to familiar sight...could've sworn I've seen this one a long time ago ie. more than one month, maybe just very similar ??
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

I live in my own little world...but it's ok, they know me here...
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG!!!
    Such a beautiful car, gone!!!
    I'm relieved to know that your younger brother is not only unhurt, but that he also had the foresight to prevent an even worse event from happening by turning the car onto the embankment.
    My hubby and I drove back to Brisbane from Sydney earlier in the year via the Putty Rd, my mother once lived at Colo and Kurrajong...
    Do you know what started the fire? Obviously you can't rebuild the car, but what are you going to do with the remains?
    3. Not allowed to threaten anyone with black magic.
    4. Not allowed to challenge anyone's disbelief of black magic by asking for hair.
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraecca Click here to enlarge
    I'm relieved to know that your younger brother is not only unhurt, but that he also had the foresight to prevent an even worse event from happening by turning the car onto the embankment.

It's not someone on here, it's quoted from another site. Go read the thread Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraecca Click here to enlarge
    Do you know what started the fire? Obviously you can't rebuild the car, but what are you going to do with the remains?
    The car is an Italian Supercar, they burn themselves into the ground whenever they feel like it, which is more often than not. Part and parcel of owning one.

Scrap metal, I would say.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

I live in my own little world...but it's ok, they know me here...
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bloodnok Click here to enlarge
    It's not someone on here, it's quoted from another site. Go read the thread Click here to enlarge
    Well sorry if I got a little confused about the identity of the poster and the owner of the car! Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    3. Not allowed to threaten anyone with black magic.
    4. Not allowed to challenge anyone's disbelief of black magic by asking for hair.
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would feel gutted !

Thread Information