Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel consumption survey

No idea if anyone else has heard about this, but just in case you haven't, RACQ are doing a fuel consumption study at the moment. They mailed around a questionnaire a while ago, and I was obviously bored that day as I filled it in.

Well, to my surprise they've emailed me with an invitation into the detailed phase of the study. It's a 9 month evaluation of a number of factors relating to fuel economy, where consumption and distance are recorded. There is also hints of some level of driver training at some point.

Unfortunately, I obviously wasn't bored enough to read the fine print on the day I filled it in. In order to participate, I would have to use a fuel card. That fuel card works at a number of petrol stations - none of which sells the petrol I normally buy. (Not that I can get that petrol at the moment anyway, thanks to Yasi getting hungry not only for bananas but also sugarcane).

So - do I a) try to enter the study, sticking with 98 octane throughout (which isn't what I answered their questionnaire with), or do I b) avoid the study, and go back to United's 95 when the ethanol supply returns?

Opinions please...
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are subsidising the fuel, then go for it..

If not, move email to bin.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    If they are subsidising the fuel
    Not by a significant amount. Basically, they are doing enough to stop the people who normally use Shell/Coles or Caltex/Woolworths complaining about not being able to use their supermarket receipts for a 4c/l discount, but not enough to pay the difference between United's 95/E10 and e.g. 98 from BP.
    Last edited by Bloodnok; 10th May 2011 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    you get paid for it and they pay the fuel ? Then I would do it. If not, I wouldn't bother. Looks like a lot of work keeping a record of each trip.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dutchy Click here to enlarge
    you get paid for it
    Nope, though there is the offer of a free driver training course at some point.
    and they pay the fuel ?
    No - that would skew the research (though they do give a small discount).
    Then I would do it. If not, I wouldn't bother. Looks like a lot of work keeping a record of each trip.
    I don't have to keep a record - I just have to use a specific card they provide to buy my petrol, and record my odometer reading at point of purchase. Every other aspect of the recording is done for me by using the card.

Not that I don't record some stuff about fuel usage anyway (generally limited to "ask for the receipt" and "write the kms down on the receipt before resetting the trip meter" - that provides sufficient information to calculate fuel usage per tank).

My issue is the fact that their card doesn't work at my chosen petrol station, and none of their chosen petrol stations sell my chosen fuel. Which I can't buy at the moment anyway (and therefore the point sounds kinda moot, but still...)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out fuelly.com not a bad little website.

Now back O.T if I couldn't get the fuel I wanted to use I wouldn't do it.
    "Bacon and eggs. A day's work for the chook. A lifetime commitment for the pig."
    My Car - 1993 Opel Monterey SL
    Wifes Car - 2005 Vectra C CDX 3.2 CLICK

Thread Information