Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol Tuning

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ethanol Tuning

Well since the calibra is getting an after market ECU am considering getting two tunes on it.

One for 98 and one for E10, since E10 is like 20c/l cheaper.

Thoughts and opinions either way would be good.

Anything I would need to change or just not bother?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hpf did a test on fuels a while back, think e10 &98 werent far off each other. If its going to work out then its a no brainer.
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We run E10 in the mazda, havent noticed any drop in power and have been getting better economy.

So I'm wondering if I could just run it anyway without any changes?
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i think you would be fine, its got an octane rating of 95.

check out the vid
    http://www.ozgarage.com.au/page/10
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    cheers mate, will check it out
    2013 Ford Focus ST

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CNBLU Click here to enlarge
    i think you would be fine, its got an octane rating of 95.
    Not all E10 does. And E10 currently isn't always 10% ethanol - as they are having "difficulty" sourcing it (read: Yasi ripped through the sugarcane). Typical E10 is actually 94 octane (some is even advertised as such), and at the moment, it's probably a lot lower as the ethanol content is lower. AFAICT only United and Matilda actually advertise their E10 as 95 octane (Freedom used to, but they changed supplier and removed all the 95 branding).

In my V6 Vectra (which specifies 95 as the minimum grade) it ran fine on United's E10 until recently - then it started having problems. I'm now buying what seems like the world's most expensive 98 instead (though it'd still be a lot more expensive in Britain - we are probably at about British 2007 levels now), but it does at least run properly...

I'll probably go back to United's E10/95 when the ethanol situation is back to normal, I'm not seeing a significant improvement in using 98 over E10/95. At least compared to proper E10/95 - with a genuine 10% ethanol and actually meeting 95 octane spec...
    Last edited by Bloodnok; 6th May 2011 at 07:34 AM.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also remember in winter they drop the ethanol content slightly as it helps cold start.

Mine runs on E85 and it loves it, especially at 105+ octane and $1.05/litre. The problem I have is as above, United keep theirs at 85% ethanol where as Caltex drop as low as 70% in winter. Thats why its marked Bio-Flex not E85.

If you can run an ethanol blend do it. Aside from the tune just check your pumps, lines, filters and injectors are ethanol rated or you'll haven real mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Don't you need to change to fuel lines as well ? As I understood, ethanol isn't very "healthy" for rubber, specially in older cars.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gman Click here to enlarge
    Mine runs on E85 and it loves it, especially at 105+ octane and $1.05/litre.
    E85 is a whole different kettle of fish to E10, and the two should not be confused Click here to enlarge. As you've mentioned, going to E85 requires checking and possibly changing a number of parts of the fuel system, whereas E10 is often OK through stock items. Maybe not for a Calibra though, given when they were made - worth checking that.

Another potential issue with E85 is it can be hard to find - you've obviously got several garages near you which do sell it, but other people may not have - I don't, and Peter may not have in Bundy. I know a friend of mine repeatedly complains that he can't get hold of it in Townsville - he's got a rather heavily worked car that could run on it (and do rather well on it), but can't find anywhere to buy it!

The problem I have is as above, United keep theirs at 85% ethanol where as Caltex drop as low as 70% in winter. Thats why its marked Bio-Flex not E85.
    Heh, my local United can't get enough ethanol to keep their E10 at 10%, so they must be using all they've got keeping yours running at 85% Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dutchy Click here to enlarge
    Don't you need to change to fuel lines as well ? As I understood, ethanol isn't very "healthy" for rubber, specially in older cars.
    i havnt seen any proof of this, maybe over a long period of time they might need changing but i highly doubt it
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Thread Information