Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    95dB is the legal limit Click here to enlarge
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    careful though.. the limit doesnt apply to peak revs, it applies to overall, and you will gain about 4dbA on back off (happened to me)
    also, the limit is 90dbA not 95.

best bet is put your standard system back on, and you wont have any dramas. my 2.5" system was 87dbA at peak revs, and 94dbA on backoff (stupid manuals).. so yeah, get a stock system and u wont have a problem.. get ur certificate, mail it off, chuck ur good system back on and away u go Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: above, last I heard from someone here in Melb. that copped an EPA slip, the db noise range was measured with the engine holding at 3000rpm not across a wide spread...not sure if that's the case across the board ??

And yeah as suggested above, put the stock exhaust or at least mufflers if they fit back on certainly does not have anything to do with pipe dia.
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @wraith - i copped one of these noise notices last month.. and the measurement is across the whole board, not at 3000rpm (i know, because i failed because of it lol)
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DIXIE Click here to enlarge
    @wraith - i copped one of these noise notices last month.. and the measurement is across the whole board, not at 3000rpm (i know, because i failed because of it lol)
    That's fair enough, it may have changed the guy I know who copped the same was from a few years ago, and as far as I can remember the place he had to attend for the test was somewhere in Altona ??

Suffice to say, he too failed 1st time around LOL...he ended up changing his mufflers whereas the 1st time, what he did to muffle it down was shove steel wool bundles in the pipes just before the mufflers...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL full habibspec.. depends what kind of notice you get.. if you get a full epa inspection notice (emissions and all), then you have to go to the actual EPA testing place which is in heidelberg or watsonia or something (where I've had to take the VL).. but the noise ones are much simpler..
    basically if a cop hears you, and thinks your exhaust is too loud, they'll just punch your plates in the system and you'll get a letter for noise testing (N)..
    then you can take it to any epa approved tester (at an exhaust shop) (they give you a list of places), and you go there, and then they **** you around lol
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i had my bike tested last year for rego, it was at a specific rev (plate states 94dB@6500rpm)...

Whatever is written on the compliance plate has to be the reference used for testing... This may not necessarily be the peak as that depends on ur resonator fitted.

As for the dB readings... There is a difference between dBA & deciBels in general...

Quote: source - http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.htm

"The filters used for dBA and dBC

The most widely used sound level filter is the A scale, which roughly corresponds to the inverse of the 40 dB (at 1 kHz) equal-loudness curve. Using this filter, the sound level meter is thus less sensitive to very high and very low frequencies. Measurements made on this scale are expressed as dBA. The C scale is practically linear over several octaves and is thus suitable for subjective measurements only for very high sound levels. Measurements made on this scale are expressed as dBC. There is also a (rarely used) B weighting scale, intermediate between A and C. The figure below shows the response of the A filter (left) and C filter, with gains in dB given with respect to 1 kHz."
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -
    To Do's - Re-paint console, FMIC!! WASH!!!!! Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmm.... Just been done last week by a group of cops standing out the front of Moonee Ponds police station drinking coffee & having a smoke when I drove past (slowely). Based on all of the above, a 3" cat back system thats been on 5 years is going to FAIL. Shame I didn't keep the stock exhaust in the garage : ( another revenue raiser !
    Opel cars n' Fender guitars

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just weld a hotdog in the middle, makes a big difference in noise but does not lower performance. You can get these for 75 dollars or so.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well had the EPA reading done. Reading was 95dB. @ 4200RPM.
    However, on over run it peaked at 105dB ! (15dB. OVER the limit)
    Its ashame, as the 3" had been on for 5yrs, and had a great burble.
    So, its going back to basics prior to trade in, (or sell privately).
    Looking at a new '11 black Renault Megane RS Cup.
    Opel cars n' Fender guitars

Thread Information