Thread: Hi all!

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all!

Hello all,

Thought I'd register here since there's a possibility that an Opel Insignia is on the radar for me now that Opel have announced they'll be selling cars here.

I've previously driven a Nissan (1988 Exa), Suzuki (1998 Baleno GTX), Subaru (MY02 RX Liberty), Holden/Opel (1.6L TR Astra I believe it was - the first of the Opel-based Astras that Holden imported), and my current car is a 2003 VW Bora V6 4Motion.

The Bora's starting to get a bit old now (though it's still in great condition and I do love driving it), and it's bordering on being too small for me (6'4" tall, wife not short either, we have two kids), and will need upgrading in the next year or two.

Current plan is to have a job in the next year or two that will allow me to package a car, and the Opel Insignia OPC ticks all the boxes for me - the Bora's based on a Haldex AWD system, so I'm aware of what they're capable of, the Bora has a 2.8L V6 in the nose (though it's not turbocharged, not that I haven't considered that..). I realise the Insignia's a bit bigger than a Bora, but the alternative upgrade was to a Passat R36 wagon (or whatever they replace it with in the upcoming model revision).

Keen at this stage to learn as much about the Insignia as I can - biggest question at this stage is what automatic gearbox they have, assuming an auto comes to Australia. I would prefer DSG over auto, and would likely choose manual over torque-converter auto despite the fact that would then mean my wife can't drive it - she can't drive the Bora anyway, she has a 2005 Outback 2.5i as the "family car" at present.

I've modded the Bora quite a bit (though starting to rationalise some of that now as I know I won't get return on investment if I sell the car with the mods - upgraded brakes, upgraded wheels, Haldex upgrade, coilovers, rear strut brace, etc). Hoping I won't need to do much to an Insignia OPC, though I am looking forward to the tunability of a good turbocharged engine... Click here to enlarge

Cheers all, looking forward to seeing what direction my automotive journey takes me in over the next year or so and beyond!
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    for OPC variant your looking at 6speed manual only. as for other models its 6speed manual or 5speed auto.. dont think they bothered with CVT and DSG(just yet)

Twin turbo 2.8 V6 of the insignia is the engine of choice of course, the OPC one :P haha
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    might like to add the 5speed is "semi-automatic" aka has +/- shifter in bottom left corner of standard P to 1
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

Basically everything I know about the insignia is from members of the Vectra-c.com forum so here's my two cents.

Performance wise, go the OPC. Has the SAAB AWD system and an electronic LSD as standard.
    The SAAB AWD system is standard on the 2.0T, 2.0 CDTi and the OPC. However as above, only the OPC gets the LSD.

Now there's a new Diesel that begins production this year which is the 2.0 BiTurbo CDTi, boosts the 2.0 output to around 140KW. (Still unsure whether this will replace the standard 2.0 CDTi or whether it will be sold side by side)

Then you've got the 2.8 N/A, 1.6 ecotec, 1.6 turbo, 1.8 ecotec. I doubt Opel would market these smaller 1.6-1.8L engines to an Australian market.

Problem is, Opel still haven't announced what models Australia will be receiving once they arrive, so probably wouldn't jump the gun too early on choosing what variant may tick the boxes.
    Click here to enlarge

EDS-IPF Re-Map, 19" OPC Snowflakes, OPC Rear Spoiler, OPC Rear Diffuser, Remus Exhaust, Irmscher Front Spoiler, Irmscher Front Grille, Irmscher Eyebrows Signum Fog Surrounds and Lower Grille, K&N Apollo Intake, Koni Yellow Adjustable Dampers, Eibach Pro-Kit, DBA 5000 Gold Rotors, M-Tech Shifter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    theres 2.0t in singapore and there pretty slow
    Last edited by gmonkey; 17th March 2011 at 01:03 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bora 4mo hey?
    Once u buy the insignia, sell me your 4mo wheels Click here to enlarge

And welcome Click here to enlarge
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to oa mate. i hope we get the full OPC line here
    you can live in a car but cant race a house

Current: 1979 Chrysler Lancer Hatch & 2007 Holden ve Commodore SSV
    past: 2002 SRi Astra & 1985 Holden vk Berlina

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site!
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    howdy and welcome to the site!
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

I'm new here, please be nice Claire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome Click here to enlarge

Thread Information