Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI cables

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HDMI cables

What is a decent amount to spend on one of these? There are lots of el-cheapos on eBay under $10, but are these any good? Or is it worth forking out a bit more? I'm connecting Full HD TV with 3D Blu-ray home theatre.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    i spend about $50 on them, nothing too over the top but still decent

run PS3, laptop, boxee box with them no worries.

if you got money burning holes in your pocket buy monster cable Click here to enlarge
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    i spend around $50 per meter on them. can't remember which brand they are but they do the job well enough.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    if you got money burning holes in your pocket buy monster cable Click here to enlarge
    please don't unless you can use it as a tax write off.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    sorry forgot the /sarcasm
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aussiehifi, where I used to work, sold 1.5m HDMIs for around $30, and 10m ones for $109. They are of chinese origin (though of solid construction with use of gold plating where necessary) and we volume imported them but to be honest I don't think I ever had one fail on me in all the shop displays we used them in or at home where I have a few. Since HDMI is digital the quality of cabling in no way affects the end result like analogue cabling does (eg. RCA).

by the way I don't work at aussiehifi anymore and I'm not really trying to plug them, just I remember they have what would seem fair pricing on their HDMI and other Interconnect cabling (which you won't find nearly anywhere else, at least in stores you can actually go to)

by the way make sure you wire up as follows

HDMI Blu-Ray - Amp - make sure that secondary audio on your blu-ray is off (so you get TruHD & HD-Master if your amp can decode them)
    HDMI Amp - TV
    Fiber Optic (Toslink) TV-Amp (for 5.1 HDTV audio through your multichannel)

Alternatively if your Amp and Blu-Ray are the same unit (which it seems like they might be) then you just need 1 HDMI and of course your Optic for TV audio return.
    Last edited by Jerram; 8th February 2011 at 10:56 PM.
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info, cheers.

As you expected, I have a 2-in-1 Blu-ray/receiver unit (not ideal, but it was free). I'm having trouble outputting the TV audio into the receiver. I have an optical cable coming from the TV's output into the receiver's input. Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got custom made ones worth about 300p/m.
    But I got them for free ;-)
    "treading on the throttle pedal gives you some idea of what it might be like to blow yourself up"
    hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: fear of long words...
    2003 Astra G Sri-T (very blaack)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your connection, I would recommend just a basic HDMI V1.4 version.. so generally not the cheapest ones.

If they are short runs, say 5 metres and under, and you don't need it for 3D TV - HDMI V1.4, you are wasting money if you are spending more than the most basic of cables.

I'm not saying a the cheapest ones are great, because the connector themselves can be cheap, but if they work, they work.

I've used the $2 ones and they work, no difference to my $30 ones.

In some respects, I prefer the cheaper ones as they tend to be more flexible.

I bought a bunch of $2-3 ones and keep them as spares or give them away.

I just hate to see people spend more money than they have to... i.e. $100 HDMI cable to connect their 480P DVD to their 720P TV.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jerram Click here to enlarge
    Alternatively if your Amp and Blu-Ray are the same unit (which it seems like they might be) then you just need 1 HDMI and of course your Optic for TV audio return.
    Generally, the home theatre in box are quite nasty.... I scored a free Panasonic Blu-ray one with my TV. I wouldn't even bother with Toslink from the TV to the HTIB, RCAs will do as the sound quality is pretty damn shit compared to a standalone amp and decent speakers TOSLINK will be the same as RCAs.
    Last edited by JohnBu; 9th February 2011 at 03:35 PM.
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've not noticed the difference between a cheap $10 one and a $279 monster from HN. I've been told the only difference is that the slightly more expensive ones are better insulated with a teflon material. Otherwise they are massively overpriced.

Thread Information