Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedo Out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Speedo Out

Not sure if this is the right section for it but anyway.

My wifes been complaining about everyone passing her on the freeway and she thinks the speedo might be out on the Jetta. So driving home in my car and my wife in her car i put the car in cruise and set it on 100km/h. I told my wife to drive next to me and she said she caught up but was going nearly 120km/h.

Now im not sure if my speedo is out?

My tyres are 215/40/18
    My revs were sitting on 2.5k

Any opinions before i call VW tomorrow?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    try use a gps to see what speed the car is doing with cruise control set on a certain speed. at 100km/h on the speedo gps should read between 96-100km/h

if you cant be bothered with that call vw as the car is new and get them to fix it.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well the scanguage said i was going 98km/h
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As above Gav. try a gps...they're very accurate.

I always assume most people speed on the freeway, so if your sitting on 100, it wouldn't surprise me most other people would go right on by, shameful yes Click here to enlarge

AFAIK most factory speedos these days especially newer cars are purposely set below 100km/h for safety and overspeed prevention, anywhere from 92-96 actual speed at the indicated 100.

When you eventually find out it'd be interesting to know if your factory setting is that much out, I'd stick it to them, 20km/h off whack is a joke...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Gav

to do 110km/h in my GTi i have to sit a smidge over 120km/h (121ish). this is tested on about 4 different GPS units, and going through speed check points. also passed a few coppers so definitely not doing 120! (205/45/R16)

as our newly appointed resident SP25 owner mentions above, i concerned that being 20km/h out is a little bit overkill. Although, be prepared for VW to tell you exactly the same that Ange said Click here to enlarge
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my gps says im doing 100 yet on the speedo it shows 107.

we could test it tomorrow if you like ? if its that much out they have to fix it...thats bollocks.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    calibra is spot on with 19's, fuks me how.

mazda is 120 on speedo 108 on GPS, so far out!
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The ADR's brought out in 2005/06 or somewhere around there state that all new vehicles must be within 10% but never read that you are going faster. Reading 120kp/h to do 100kp/h is outside those regulations so VW are responsible to fix it, so long as the wheels and tyres are OE.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge

as our newly appointed resident SP25 owner mentions above, i concerned that being 20km/h out is a little bit overkill. Although, be prepared for VW to tell you exactly the same that Ange said Click here to enlarge
    LOL Adam, still havn't got my hands on it yet, the Calibras' gone though and the missus is cracking at me pinching the Honda City all the time, will have to take the new Rolla off her dads hands for a week LOL...

Getting back on topic and speeking of speedo errors I've noticed most Jap brands are ok in this regard, although the Yaris seems to be slow at an indicated 100km/h...

I'll have to get a GPS into it and see how it does, will be interesting to see how the new Mazda does also with its built in sat nav.
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ice Click here to enlarge
    my gps says im doing 100 yet on the speedo it shows 107.

we could test it tomorrow if you like ? if its that much out they have to fix it...thats bollocks.
    yeh we can test it tonight Click here to enlarge

thanks for your replys guys
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Thread Information