OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I program/encode a blank ECU with an OP-COM?

Hi All,

As per the thread title, I am wanting to know if I can program a blank ECU to my 2001 SRi Barina via the OP-COM.

For some time the car has been playing up and refused to clear certain errors even after the implied faulty components (O2 Sensors and throttle body) were replaced but it was still possible to drive it 'normally'. However now the OP-COM is detecting error to do with the Knock Sensor and MAF in addition to o2 and TB related error codes which is just not logical.

SO I have been hunting around for the best way to replace/repair the ECU and according to one mob in the UK they can send me a replacement ECU which has been 'blanked' and it will need to be coded to my car, which makes sense. THey advise this can be done using a Tech2 unit whcih invariably means a trip to Holden (no thanks!) but they also mentioned I should be able to code it with the OP-COM as well.

Has anyone here replaced a faulty ECU in their Z18XE powered vehicle and coded it with an OP-COM? Alternatively has someone supplied Holden with an ECU they sourced themselves and had Holden code it?

I'm just looking for the best way of getting my car back on the road and I'm open to any sensible suggestions!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    www.ozstick.com.au + www.mame.net = Awesome Arcade Gaming at Home!!!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong, but ive never heard of an ECU being reprogrammed by an OP-COM unit.... although it makes sense if you had the right software to perform it then it could be done... because the software supplied with an OP-COM is just generic diagnostic software...
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure you need the full Tech-2 to be able to do that.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    as far as im aware the op-com is only used for diagnostics

not reading and writing ecu's. like rory has said you will need the full tech 2 to do this
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm not sure that's the best way to go - the last thing I want it to get stuck not being able to get the car running then have to get it towed to Holden and them charge a bomb to do it with a Tech2.

I've had a reply from another mob in the UK who tell me it's £250 (just under $400) to diagnose and repair my ECU and that way all I need to do it bolt it back on to the engine, plug in the 2 looms and it's ready to roll. They give a 2 year warranty on their repairs as well. Whilst the price sounds steep at first it is far cheaper than buying a new ECU from HERE for $630 and still having to pay for it to be assigned and programmed to my car.
    Last edited by OzStick; 13th January 2011 at 01:20 PM.
    www.ozstick.com.au + www.mame.net = Awesome Arcade Gaming at Home!!!

OpelAus Enthusiast Keep'emRunning's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's worth a try. The latest version can certainly sync the immobilisers and airbag units (and there are ways to get the actual trans keys from the old ecu and program them into the new one apparently)

You simply need to be sure the replacement ecu is from exactly the same model/variant, if not you will def need a tech 2 to reprogram the firmware to suit.

edit: you could also simply call a wreckers with your vin and most likely you will be able to buy the ecu,immob and airbag unit + keys, you just need to swap them over (few hour job)

All Auto Spares in Syd would be the best bet.
    Last edited by Keep'emRunning; 13th January 2011 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Epsilon Renntech
    2003 Astra SRi-T - The Phantom
    EMTRON ECU
    Borg Warner EFR7163 & EFR9180
    Tuned by Scott @ Insight Motorsports

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged