Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie to Australia, with Barina V6 questions....

Morning all (well it is here...)

Thought I’d introduce myself, seeing as this looks like the only site to cater for the Barina (Corsa) that I can find. Names Rob but everyone calls me Sloth, im a 24 year old mechanic who currently works for the British govt. I currently live in Hull in the U.K, but I emigrate to Boolarra, VIC on the 15th of Feb. I’ve owned 3 Corsa B’s, and 12 Vauxhall Novas (Corsa A’s) with various engines. Ive also owned a Barina XC a stock 1.2 sxi, which brings me here. When I emigrate to Aus my intention is to build a project ive been collecting parts for and planning for the past 4 years. I plan to fit the c25xe from a Calibra to a Barina XC. I know this engine will physically fit, im more interested in the legalities of this, seen as the road laws and rules are very different (I think). Can anyone tell me whether this conversion is ok? If its not I’ll just turn it into a track car....

I also moderate a u.k based Corsa owners club, www.allcorsa.co.uk as a tech mod.

So, hello!
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Last edited by Sloth; 6th January 2011 at 09:13 PM.

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site mate, another victorian Click here to enlarge

I'm sure someone will come along with the answer your after pretty soon.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    very good engine choice Click here to enlarge the most reliable calibra motor!

in short, it can be done over here no dramas, you just need to have it engineered so that you can prove to VicRoads that even though it is a different motor to standard, it will still meet the relevant safety/emissions conditons Click here to enlarge

good luck, and welcome Click here to enlarge
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    very good engine choice Click here to enlarge the most reliable calibra motor!

in short, it can be done over here no dramas, you just need to have it engineered so that you can prove to VicRoads that even though it is a different motor to standard, it will still meet the relevant safety/emissions conditons Click here to enlarge

good luck, and welcome Click here to enlarge
    Forgot about that bit. That might be a bit hard considering the XC was made a few years later. Were they euro 3 and c25xe euro 2?
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to OA mate,
    Gee, you're going to live WAY out in the sticks Click here to enlarge we'll no doubt come out that way for a cruise or something though, would be great to see the v6 corsa if it happens
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the XC is euro3/4 dependant on engine, the c25xe is euro 1 iirc. i guess thats a bad thing? the other option i possibly have is finding a late vectra z32se and using its block/heads etc and fitting the c25xe plenums and ecu. thus the block says z32se, which is euro4 but it runs the correct inlet for my swap. cheers for the replies.

sooty, the wife is from there, back of bloody beyond apparently... im bringing the engine mounts with me from the uk, so it will be happening. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Sloth; 6th January 2011 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah i have a half uncle in mirboo north (neighbouring suburb)...it's errr....very rural! Click here to enlarge
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sloth Click here to enlarge
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I plan to fit the c25xe from a Calibra to a Barina XC. I know this engine will physically fit, im more interested in the legalities of this, seen as the road laws and rules are very different (I think). Can anyone tell me whether this conversion is ok?
    Here's the place to start reading:
    Notifying VicRoads of changes and modifications to vehicles

Some more info here:
    Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles

Your proposed project reminds me a little of the guy who put an LS1 in an Astra... Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate.

In short no, im 99% sure no state in australia will allow you to register a vehicle with and engine older than the original, unless its the same engine model.
    Rather than stuffing around with emissions testing and things like that thats how they draw the line.
    **Note, im 100% sure this is the case in WA, and we are the least strict state when it comes to modifications and registering cars. hence why im pretty sure no other state will allow it either.

However, you will be able to register a XC with the z32, but they are very hard to find over here.

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah ok, section 11 of this:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf

reads as though you can , but i guess there is more to it than just that one bit of paper... the thing is the z32se is a direct upgrade of the c25xe, same block dimensions, heads etc. i have to say its a bit daft that an older engine cant be fitted to a newer car. what about the hotrod boys who fit 50's chevy v8's to 32 fords?
    Last edited by Sloth; 6th January 2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: wrong link

Thread Information