Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer issues

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

computer issues

just tried helping out our neighbour with some computer issues hes got and thought it was all good but no luck.

pretty much turning the computer on is hit and miss. sometimes it will start up fine, other times it will beep 4 times and monitor wont turn on but the computer still sounds like its starting up and sometimes it will start loading and then just freeze up. In all cases when it doesn't start or freezes up the lights on the keyboard turn off.

It had an issue about 12 months back and installing new ram into it fixed that up so i don't think its that.
    I also managed to run a virus scan and adware software while it was running before and that didn't bring up anything.

Only info I can give you as its now being a pita and not wanting to start up is that its an XP sp3 machine with 4gig ram. It was built as a gaming machine so has a 1gig graphics card and an asus motherboard of some type.

If anyone has any suggestions on what i can try to get it going again.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beeps are hardware related...

lookup the mobo manufact website & look for a guide, or just google the beep codes, remember they are usually long/short beeps.

Sounds like RAM or Video Card - usual suspects...
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -
    To Do's - Re-paint console, FMIC!! WASH!!!!! Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    as above
    how many ram chips are in it? try and boot it with just one chip in it and try it one by one, the ram he got 12mths ago could be faulty

otherwise see if u can pinch the vid card out of your computer (if its the same AGP/PCI-e port) and try that
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    yeah i was leaning towards the video card aswell as its got 2 ports so i changed the one it was using and it worked fine for about 30 minutes then died in the arse again. cant use mine as my one is part of the motherboard.

there are 2 sticks of ram. tried swapping where they are and each one individually but that was a no go.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    OEM+

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be the graphics card. when it freezes does the picture go funny, like green (or any colour) artifacts pop up?
    you can live in a car but cant race a house

Current: 1979 Chrysler Lancer Hatch & 2007 Holden ve Commodore SSV
    past: 2002 SRi Astra & 1985 Holden vk Berlina

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by metry Click here to enlarge
    could be the graphics card. when it freezes does the picture go funny, like green (or any colour) artifacts pop up?
    nope. just freezes at whatever is showing on the screen.

also when it freezes pressing ctrl alt del a couple of times does not reset it.
    Last edited by guy 27; 6th January 2011 at 01:06 AM.
    OEM+

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dust

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does it have on board Graphics ? try without if you can. Maybe try update the MB firmware. You should be able to tell what type it is like in this pic. see p7p55LX

I reckon next time you get in back up what you can and then wipe the HDD and reload Win XP and see if its the OS. The fact that its beeping suggests its a hardware fault. Ram is usually only 2 beeps. is this guy in Vic guy ? i have a crappy video card that works but can have to see if its that otherwise buy a really cheap one. If this does work, uninstall all remnants of the old graphics card and try again reloading with the latest drivers. see link below for a cheap card....mine cost more than ten times that but oh well, lol

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/...ducts_id=40056

Another quickie, does the agp card get hot...i mean almost hot to touch ? is the fan on it running ok ?

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Ice; 6th January 2011 at 01:32 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dutchy Click here to enlarge
    Dust

Dust conducts heat yes but it needs to be practically untouched for years and years before it kills your PC so it has time to build up and make a thick layer over vital components. Always best to clean it everynow and then.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    nah its very clean inside and practically no dust.

pete hes in bris but cheers anyway.
    gfx card does not get hot and fans are all working fine.
    OEM+

Thread Information