Just been told by the garage that my rear tyres are below minimum tread, and the fronts aren't far off.

Asked what tyres they'd recommend for the car (looking for a set of four - maybe five if the spare needs doing too), and was recommended Nexen CP661s - at $130 per wheel fitted and balanced today.

I mentioned the Kumho recommendation I'd received from here previously, and he can get them (tomorrow, not today), but he doesn't rate them - he says the Nexen option will perform better, last longer, and be a lot cheaper.

This surprises me - as cheaper isn't normally better - that's not generally how the world works, unless you're simply paying for a name.

I've done a quick Google for the Nexen, and there are some mixed feelings - people don't seem to regard them as "cheap chinese tyres of death", but they aren't exactly considered a performance product either.

Given that the Vectra is used predominantly a motorway cruiser, and I'm not in a particularly good financial situation at the moment, I'm inclined to go with the cheaper option if they aren't likely to be a problem. And a matched set of anything is probably better than the mismatched bunch of randoms I have right now (I've got three different types of tyre on the car at the moment). The fact they can get them today, and I can have my car back to go to work tomorrow is also playing on my mind...

What are people's thoughts about this? I need to call the garage back soon if I'm going to get them today...
Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!