Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tyre choice

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for what i paid for my ku31s i challange you to find me a better tyre. not everyone can afford the best tyres but the kumhos give exceptional performance for the money. i picked mine up for 165 a corner fitted and theyre 215/35/19s. now i had recieved a discount cause my dads mate owns the workshop and he does all our mechanical work but most people must pay full price for tyres. now i must say i was sus about running kumhos on my car mainly cause my old vk had shit tyres causing me to crash and kumhos image is nothing like bridgestones. but these tryes have changed my mind on the kumhos. now the kumhos might not be as good as bridgestones etc but the give exeptional all weather performance for the money. now ive only done 15k on mine and must admit mine are around 50% tread but i thrash my car and these tyres are still very sticky. the only thing i can fault them on is noise.
    you can live in a car but cant race a house

Current: 1979 Chrysler Lancer Hatch & 2007 Holden ve Commodore SSV
    past: 2002 SRi Astra & 1985 Holden vk Berlina

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Milesy Click here to enlarge
    Just remember you pay for what for. Price is just one factor and remember if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

I'd forget the Korean Kuhmos and stick to the better quality Bridgestone or Michelin rubber if I were you. There is a good reason why all decent car manufacturers (ie non Korean) don't use Kuhmo or Hankook Tyres as OE!
    I agree with you 100% (except I find bridgestones shit TBH)

but the Ku31's are a very good tyre. Only downside I had with mine (215 35 18) was the road noise which was way above what any tyre should have. Otherwise grip levels in all weather conditions was very nice.
    Having said that though i have driven cars with the lower graded kuhmos and found them to be rubbish.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my point of view I look at tyres as a fundamental safety feature as they are all you have between you and the road and therefore would never skimp on cheaper lesser known brand tyres.

So when I get new tyres on my SRi-T in the next 12 months I will be replacing them with either the OE Continental SC2's or Michelin Pilot Sport 3. I know they will be about double what you pay for Kuhmos but IMO at the end of the day it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

White MY13 Astra OPC

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    i'd go the Pilot sport 2 over the 3. best tyre on the market hands down.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, just booked it in for Wednesday. 4x Linglong ditchfinders - no, only joking, I am getting the Kumho KU31s everyone recommends. Be good to have some respectable rubber on the fronts for once, and some with some life in them on the back as well...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kuhmos fixed my traction issues. They are a very good tyre.
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got 4x KU31s (215/45R17 - XL - Extra Load) for $105 each plus delivery (about $50) from option1 garage:

http://www.option1garage.com.au/NewTyres.htm

Used them for track day and daily use. I love'em..
    Last edited by balker; 5th December 2010 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, got 4 KU31s on the car now. Had them for about 250km - and for the first 200 the wheel alignment was way off. That's been fixed now. They are still a touch out of balance (vibration at 100-110km/h, most obvious on lift-off / low throttle conditions), but this is after two attempts to get the garage to balance them properly, so I'm not sure if I'm just being picky, or the car is very sensitive to slight imbalances, or they simply don't have a good enough balancing machine at that garage.

Anyway, took it out for a quick trip around today - grip in both dry and wet/greasy conditions appears good - I gave it the beans out of a T junction (sharp left) with water running across the road as well, and the traction control didn't so much as bat an eyelid. I did eventually get the TC to kick in by dumping it into second with rather too many revs on, while going up a hill in greasy conditions, but that was more of an abuse / limit finding exercise than any normal "spirited driving".

Now If only I could get them balanced properly, I'd be very happy...

Thread Information