Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyre choice

Just been told by the garage that my rear tyres are below minimum tread, and the fronts aren't far off.

Asked what tyres they'd recommend for the car (looking for a set of four - maybe five if the spare needs doing too), and was recommended Nexen CP661s - at $130 per wheel fitted and balanced today.

I mentioned the Kumho recommendation I'd received from here previously, and he can get them (tomorrow, not today), but he doesn't rate them - he says the Nexen option will perform better, last longer, and be a lot cheaper.

This surprises me - as cheaper isn't normally better - that's not generally how the world works, unless you're simply paying for a name.

I've done a quick Google for the Nexen, and there are some mixed feelings - people don't seem to regard them as "cheap chinese tyres of death", but they aren't exactly considered a performance product either.

Given that the Vectra is used predominantly a motorway cruiser, and I'm not in a particularly good financial situation at the moment, I'm inclined to go with the cheaper option if they aren't likely to be a problem. And a matched set of anything is probably better than the mismatched bunch of randoms I have right now (I've got three different types of tyre on the car at the moment). The fact they can get them today, and I can have my car back to go to work tomorrow is also playing on my mind...

What are people's thoughts about this? I need to call the garage back soon if I'm going to get them today...
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He probably makes a better profit by selling you the nexens.

I'd go the kuhmo's over the nexens any day of the week.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    what size you looking for??

and +1 Guy, Nexens are awful, have been in two accidents (one driving, one as passenger) where if the car had better tyres, the accident would not have occured!!
    BroTek Performance Pty Ltd

Current:
    2003 Astra SRi Turbo & 2004 Barina SXi
    Ex's: 2001 Astra CD & 2001 Astra SRi 2.2, plus a long list of non Opels...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so Nexen are out. I can't remember all of the numbers on the tyres - but the wheels are the factory option 16" wheels on a V6 Vectra B. I'd go look at the car, but it's at the garage at the moment...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Go on eBay mate, i guessed 205/50 r16, theres plenty of choices. You can get Michelin Pilot Precedas for $165, a MUCH better tyre.

But confirm the size if you can and post it up, anything to save you from the dreaded Nexens!!
    BroTek Performance Pty Ltd

Current:
    2003 Astra SRi Turbo & 2004 Barina SXi
    Ex's: 2001 Astra CD & 2001 Astra SRi 2.2, plus a long list of non Opels...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, only other choice he can get me today is a Maxxis i-Pro. Ordering deadline in 10 minutes. On a quick search this seems to be a better choice than the Nexen - and he's really not complimentary at all about the Kumho KU31 - saying it's oughtright not a good tyre to have.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I have run on ku-31's and they are a dam good tyre for the price.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bloodnok Click here to enlarge
    Okay, only other choice he can get me today is a Maxxis i-Pro. Ordering deadline in 10 minutes. On a quick search this seems to be a better choice than the Nexen - and he's really not complimentary at all about the Kumho KU31 - saying it's oughtright not a good tyre to have.
    Just sounds like he doesn't want you to buy kumho's because he won't make any money on them. I've only heard positive things about them and know a lot of people running the 31's or 36's
    2007 Liberty STi
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sooty Click here to enlarge
    Just sounds like he doesn't want you to buy kumho's because he won't make any money on them. I've only heard positive things about them and know a lot of people running the 31's or 36's
    That's what I'm wondering too - I've not heard anything bad about them on the web (well, maybe they aren't the longest lasting, but that's hardly a major design flaw.)

Deadline for ordering the Maxxis i-Pro has passed, so I've asked for the car back with the existing tyres (they'll finish the rest of the service but not change the tyres) and I'm going to ring around a few places and see what I can get later in the week, or maybe next week.

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had the kumho ku36's on the nurb until recently. 15,000k's with 3 track days and there is still tread on them.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information