Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Anonymous

Cold Air Induction Kits.

will my car benifit from this? i own a 2004 astra CD and i have been told that it can increase your power but wouldnt the AFM conflict with it?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gain is probably so minor, it becomes a waste of money.

No, it won't bugger the AFM. Unless you use a crappy filter.

Best and cheapest is to de-restrict the airbox and buy a 3 inch flex(heatproof) hose to replace the current snorkel. Leave the filter. It does the job well.

Total cost = $20

Buying a BMC-CDA is well over $300 and really a complete waste of time. A k+n filter is just over $100 and the debate rages as to whether they filter properly.

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw u can get defect for a pod filter

i reckon turblue is right
    on a Nautrally aspirated car pod filter will do little power gain (1-5 KW)
    i de-restricted my airbox and used larger and smoother intake piping on the box and inlet manifold hence faster air velocity will benfit NA cars

but wouldnt the AFM conflict with it?
    get a air fuel ratio controller
    THE EGG <=Click Here
    & NB8 circuit monster unveils October '05

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Anonymous
    i dont really get how to derestict the air box (noob when it comes to cars) lol

Anonymous
    De-Restricting the Air Box Is Easy Just Follow These Instructions:
    http://groups.msn.com/opelaustralia/...=2&sortstring=

*NOTE* Works on All Opel/Vauxhall Astras,Corsa,Zafira.

* DISCLAIMER*
    OPEL AUSTRALIA Holds no resonsibilty to Damage,Void Warranty & Defective Vehicle Infringments, Modify at Own Risk.

Anonymous
    and this works for the 04 astra? wow thanks!!!!

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look inside my airbox (1.8 ) the other week, this is what i saw from an engineering point of view .....

doing the de-restricting probably would be of benefit .... but based on the airfilter being 100% clean, no dirt/dust. I have a stock airbox and my filter is uniformly dusty (9 months worth/no dirt road driving). This uniformity is achieved by airbox structure (fins, curves, etc). When modified the air would loose most of the flow guidance, causing the flow to be concentrated onto a small section of the filter. Over time that area would become cloged with dirt quickly, loosing the benifits gained (as air takes the path of least resistance and use further out sections of the filter)

..... To test this theory would the de-restricted boys/gals have a closer/careful look at their filter to see if there is a "cloging" effect and post their findings.

This is what engineering is all about ... the theoretical and experimentation sides, ...... so my theory could be wrong

Anonymous
    so your saying that derestricting may not only give you more power but can be good for your filter? Click here to enlarge i love this am so doing tomorrow

OpelAus Forum Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by |OPEL|
    so your saying that derestricting may not only give you more power but can be good for your filter? Click here to enlarge i love this am so doing tomorrow
    u been in ur black stallion haven't u ... too much speed to the brain will do that

I'm saying u might have to replace/renew ur air filter alot more often to keep up the gains

PS @|opel| want more power?, have u thought of an engine swap ??? I'm sure ur dad won't mind :twisted:

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turblue
    Buying a BMC-CDA is well over $300 and really a complete waste of time.
    I wouldn't say that...sure it's not the best value but I have definitely noticed an improvement - more than I could have hoped. Comparing it to my mums stock astra is very noticeable and it'll help when doing more mods down the track. But sure, de-restrict is easily best value obviously!
    '03 Silver Astra City 5 door

Thread Information