Thread: wireless issue

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wireless issue

hi guys,
    my nephew has an issue with his wireless around his house.
    he has normal adsl OPTUS connection to his house.
    a speedstream adsl modem from optus
    two computers, one downstairs where the internet is connected and another PC upstairs (also a PS3 upstairs)
    the PC downstairs has a wireless N router (Dlink DIR615) connected to it in order to send wireless signal around the house.

the thing is when i purchased the wireless router for him and installed it as per instructions EVERYTHING was fine, upstairs signal strength was very good, his upstairs PC and PS3 were connecting no issues Click here to enlarge

then after couple of months everything went down, NOTHING would connect even iPod touch when next to the PC downstairs.

i have no idea what went wrong, i checked all settings and reinstalled the router software... no luck

could it be there is an issue with OPTUS ? not allowing for a wireless router to be connected to the speedstream ADSL modem???

any kind of help and advice will be greatly appreciated,
    Marcin
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate has your nephew connected any cordless phones recently?? As sometimes that can be an issue. I think wireless N still runs on 2.4ghz range. Failing that try changing the channel on the wireless router.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rocco's suggesting has merit (Edit: Just re-read that... sounds a bit arrogant! Sorry Rocco!!! Was meant to read in a manner that it's as good a place to start as any, Too many different wireless devices in the same area cause issues!). Beyond that, are the devices getting a connection to the wireless at all, but no internet connectivity? This would suggest that perhaps a setting is wrong (usually from a device returning to factory defaults)

I would typically expect to see ADSL Modem connected to Computer and ADSL Modem connected to Wireless AP. You have (in some places) made it sound like the ADSL Modem is connected to the computer, which is then (in turn) connected to the Wireless AP - meaning the computer would have 2 network cards to facilitate this and use connection sharing to essentially provide a "Router on a stick".

If the configuration is the later, this would make the setup considerabluy more complex and introduce the possibility of almost infinately more issues.

As for Rocco's suggestion, I tend to use Channels 6 or 11, but depending on the amount of devices another may work best for you. Just cross your fingers that some bastard in the nearby area hasn't bought some high gain device that is blanketing the area with an "over the top" signal.
    Last edited by UNEEQ; 11th July 2010 at 08:17 PM.
    What Now?
    GONE: Deep Sky 2012 (MY13) Opel AS Astra
    GONE: Arden Blue 2013 (MY13) Opel PJ Astra GTC OPC
    SOLD: Black Sapphire 2006 (MY06.5) Holden AH Astra SRi Turbo

OpelAus Participant astra in oz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if it is the same for adsl as it is for cable but when i was running a similar setup for my wireless off optus cable it wouldnt run wireless unless the modem was turned on before the router...
    If there was a power failure they had to be turned back on in order - modem then router - before they would talk to each other properly again..
    Click here to enlarge
    02 SRi|Stock Standard... at the moment|

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by astra in oz Click here to enlarge
    Not sure if it is the same for adsl as it is for cable
    In the simplest of cases, yes you are quite correct. Certainly the physical connection in these circumstances makes no difference, it hinges more on the modem getting the initial connection and then being connected to a Wireless AP for broadcast access.

In most cases (unless changed... I doubt many home users would if even if they had the hardware to do it) the "Modem Router" is performing DHCP functions. If the Wireless AP is relying on this and is switched on first, there is a possibility that it is not obtaining the information it needs to be able to "route" information effectively. Normally this shouldn't be an issue because the device should communicate to obtain the information it needs once it is available, but I've certainly observed this behavior more than once.

I'll try to stop writing essays now Click here to enlarge

Edit: Don't forget to restart and/or reconnect the devices trying to connect wirelessly either! Windows boxes might need an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew as well
    Last edited by UNEEQ; 11th July 2010 at 08:25 PM.
    What Now?
    GONE: Deep Sky 2012 (MY13) Opel AS Astra
    GONE: Arden Blue 2013 (MY13) Opel PJ Astra GTC OPC
    SOLD: Black Sapphire 2006 (MY06.5) Holden AH Astra SRi Turbo

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    from experience it will be the modem.

when telstra/optus/tpg etc etc etc send out modems they use their own firmware on them

thus restricting what can be used with them, and especially dlink routers.

swap it for a belkin/cisco/dlink all in one and i bet you wont have the same issues
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    from experience it will be the modem.

when telstra/optus/tpg etc etc etc send out modems they use their own firmware on them

thus restricting what can be used with them, and especially dlink routers.

swap it for a belkin/cisco/dlink all in one and i bet you wont have the same issues

You wouldn't need to swap it would you?? I mean if they ae just Dlinks with TPG firmware providing you got the correct firmware for the right unit you could just flash it couldn't you?? Thus making it a proper Dlink modem/router?
    Last edited by ROCCO; 15th July 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    if you know what your doing then yer, can be done
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to everyone who helped...thanks guys...it was something to do with "bridging" the optus modem and the d-link router.... so far so good and working OK Click here to enlarge my little nephew can now max out the internet download limit with his PS3 and his iPod Touch LOL Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by PO15KA; 23rd July 2010 at 06:22 PM.

Thread Information