Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gopro camera

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Gopro camera

I got a gopro Hero Hd naked camera a couple of days ago.

Has anybody got one and can give me advice on it?

I got the curved tape mount that comes with it but will invest in other mounts when i figure out what is best for car use. (guessing it is the suction cup ones)
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah mate, suction cup ftw

ive used one a few times, couple of my mates have them.
    theres no real advice i can give other than using good batteries and a biggish memory card, as the rest is prettyy much just point and shoot.

one thing tho, i had one incar on the windscreen for one cruise, the sound was really good, til high revs when my car overpowered the mic and all you got was this shit loud distorted noise...

suction mount is mint, ive used it on dirty windows and fanged it around corners and stuff and it didnt move at all.
    only other mount myy mates have used is the bloke with the bike, how has one stuck on one of his helmets

oh, and the sun turns to a black dot if it gets in veiw of the lens.

EDIT: and although its hd, lack of focusing means its not always the best quality.
    Last edited by Shay; 5th June 2010 at 04:32 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to run a GoPro Hero 5, (non HD), in the rally car, was a good little unit. Quite a few cars on the rally scene are using them, in outr last rally a GT3 RS had about 6 of them attached in various places!

Mounts wise, you would have been better off buying the 'Motorsport' version as comes with a few inc the suction mount, but too late for that. Still on mounts, when you are using one with a 'screw' type locking, make sure you do it up pretty tight as they have a habit of coming loose and giving very odd footage!

You will not need worry about batteries as being the 'HD' it has a phone style litho battery and USB charger.

Sound wise, the main issue is caused by setting it to 'High' needs to be set at 'Low' or causes crackling/distortion noise.

Mounting, have seen them on roofs, bonnets, boots, under front/rear spoilers, in-car, just about anywhere really! (we ran ours in-car hanging from the cage near the rear view mirror). The clear plastic case makes it a durable little bugger as not seen a broken one yet.

Footage wise, for what it costs it is of good quality, we have recently tried a different set-up and was no-where near as good. One thing tho, if you are going to record at it's max HD setting I hope you have a very modern/powerful PC to cope with the uploading and editing!

Have fun with it!

PS:- If you go to this YouTube link, these guys have posted some clips taken with a GoPro HD suction mounted on their car in a recent rally we competed in:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/JonesBrosRacing

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    cheers mate

I got it as a present, as my brother bought a 3 and only uses 2 for his skydiving, so i really didn't get much say in which model i got.

I have found a few places online to buy the suction cup mounts so will get a couple to hook up.

seems you can not adjust the sound quality on this one, it comes with an open style and completely sealed rear cover for the case. They suggest the open for <100mph and the closed for >100mph.

I need to get a bigger SD card though. I only have a 1gig at the moment so will only give me 11minutes at highest quality.

editing wise, my computer will cope with it. Its built to editing HD videos.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    OEM+

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by guy 27 Click here to enlarge
    cheers mate

I got it as a present, as my brother bought a 3 and only uses 2 for his skydiving, so i really didn't get much say in which model i got.

I have found a few places online to buy the suction cup mounts so will get a couple to hook up.

seems you can not adjust the sound quality on this one, it comes with an open style and completely sealed rear cover for the case. They suggest the open for <100mph and the closed for >100mph.

I need to get a bigger SD card though. I only have a 1gig at the moment so will only give me 11minutes at highest quality.

editing wise, my computer will cope with it. Its built to editing HD videos.
    Looks like you're spot on with the sound adj, or lack of! (know they have changed some things on the HD but haven't used one!)

Couple of reviews etc on YouTube, this one is informative:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLWpp...eature=related

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Had a quick play with the camera today. these pics are straight off the camera

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

and some in low light (about 15 minutes before it was dark outside.)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Taking it out tonight for a quick drive to see how the video mode is in the car.
    OEM+

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow the HD is a really decent jump from the ones ive used.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shay Click here to enlarge
    Wow the HD is a really decent jump from the ones ive used.
    Yes, it's way superior! Different league altogether.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea how much a HD one with the motorsport mounts will set you back?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shay Click here to enlarge
    Any idea how much a HD one with the motorsport mounts will set you back?
    Bought in Aus around $439.

Thread Information