Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would cause this problem?

My desktop PC has poo poo'd itself. When I start it up, it looks like it is in SAFE MODE, the picture looks about 4MB. Sometimes when I start it up it is fine, however when the monitor turns off to standby after the screen saver times out, nothing I do will turn the screen back on. My only option is to reset the computer via reset button.

Has my graphics card crapped itself or am I looking at a motherboard problem?

I am not in the position to buy a new computer atm (as much as I would love too).

I have formatted the HD and reinstalled XP and also tried Vista and they both have the same problem.

Any ideas would be helpful as I am not all familiar with hardware problems.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

One of Chuck Norris' sperm found it's way into the gas tank of an 18 wheeler. We now know this truck as Optimus Prime!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    hey mate
    definitely sounds like a GFX problem... Is it an onboard one? Do you know anyone who has a GFX card u could borrow to confirm the diagnosis?

I wouldnt go replacing the mobo without testing the GFX card first.

I was going to suggest a system restore but looks like u have tried that already... maybe see if u can get updated drivers for the existing one aswell?

give the above a shot and let us know how you go Click here to enlarge
    good luck
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What have you got your power setting set to? I used to have the same issue with my monitor not turning back on but after I changed my power settings i've never had the issue again.
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you feel confident enough , Have a look inside your computer , If it has a plug in gfx card inside the case , Remove it and inspect it for dust build up.

Clean it and re-fit the card and reboot the system.

If all else fails you could pick up a very cheap gfx card for about 15-20 bux from ebay for testing purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    hey mate
    definitely sounds like a GFX problem... Is it an onboard one? Do you know anyone who has a GFX card u could borrow to confirm the diagnosis?

I wouldnt go replacing the mobo without testing the GFX card first.

I was going to suggest a system restore but looks like u have tried that already... maybe see if u can get updated drivers for the existing one aswell?

give the above a shot and let us know how you go Click here to enlarge
    good luck
    I haven't found any updates for the driver, but I have never had a problem with it before. I think it might just have served its time.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nurb608 Click here to enlarge
    What have you got your power setting set to? I used to have the same issue with my monitor not turning back on but after I changed my power settings i've never had the issue again.
    I have no idea what my power settings are, but I have never had this issue until I formatted the HD. I will google how to and see if this is the fix I'm after.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MAD-16V Click here to enlarge
    If you feel confident enough , Have a look inside your computer , If it has a plug in gfx card inside the case , Remove it and inspect it for dust build up.

Clean it and re-fit the card and reboot the system.

If all else fails you could pick up a very cheap gfx card for about 15-20 bux from ebay for testing purposes.
    I have already cleaned out all the dust and build up within the case. I haven't detached the card yet, I will have a look and see if it's too complicated or if I am able to do it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will let you know the progress.

One of Chuck Norris' sperm found it's way into the gas tank of an 18 wheeler. We now know this truck as Optimus Prime!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nurb608 Click here to enlarge
    Ahahaha, how dumb was I! I started to adjust the power settings, on my LAPTOP!!!! Now to connect my PC back up and try it on that.... LOL

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DEE-80Y Click here to enlarge
    Ahahaha, how dumb was I! I started to adjust the power settings, on my LAPTOP!!!! Now to connect my PC back up and try it on that.... LOL
    Dont worry, i was cursing at my pc for weeks before I remembered about power settings, lol
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've pulled the graphics card out and given it a clean, still no luck. It looks like another card is the way to go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 defo GFX card...

If it's onbaord you can still fit a PCI/AGP card in its place, or simplr replace the existing...

New cards are only arounf $50 these days for over 256mb video..
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -
    To Do's - Re-paint console, FMIC!! WASH!!!!! Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like I will replace it with this.
    http://www.jw.com.au/product_info.ph...roducts_id=873

Slight upgrade from my 8500GT.

Thanks for the help ppl.

Thread Information