Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mercedes maybe joining V8 Supercars in 2012?

Just scoped this on the carsales website.

Could be interesting.

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010...upercars-18598
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    Click here to enlarge

EDS-IPF Re-Map, 19" OPC Snowflakes, OPC Rear Spoiler, OPC Rear Diffuser, Remus Exhaust, Irmscher Front Spoiler, Irmscher Front Grille, Irmscher Eyebrows Signum Fog Surrounds and Lower Grille, K&N Apollo Intake, Koni Yellow Adjustable Dampers, Eibach Pro-Kit, DBA 5000 Gold Rotors, M-Tech Shifter

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    unlikely IMO... i would think that the V8 supercar series would only allow the aus made card ie holden and ford, they have the bathurst 24hr race for cars like the merc afaik?
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well from what I can remember when I was REALLY young. There were other makes of cars in V8 Supercars.

EDIT:

If you include the inception of Supercars in Australia it was dominated by overseas makes until 1970.

The Early 1990's had a few skylines win it, but yes. Just read that Group A must be "Australian-produced 5.0 litre V8 engined Fords and Holdens"

After the FIA allowed international racing of Group A. Perhaps they want to introduce International Models? As the article said. Mercedes won't back a team but it can't stop a 3rd party buying and modifying a merc to race.
    Click here to enlarge

EDS-IPF Re-Map, 19" OPC Snowflakes, OPC Rear Spoiler, OPC Rear Diffuser, Remus Exhaust, Irmscher Front Spoiler, Irmscher Front Grille, Irmscher Eyebrows Signum Fog Surrounds and Lower Grille, K&N Apollo Intake, Koni Yellow Adjustable Dampers, Eibach Pro-Kit, DBA 5000 Gold Rotors, M-Tech Shifter

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its a shame its such a closed deal with V8SC - would be a lot more interesting with some different marques in it like it was in the 80's and early 90's. Of course the bogans would start to bitch and moan when everyone else wins races and their Commo's and Falcon's end up being shite..... Maybe we can have another Jim "you're a pack of arseholes" Richards moment Click here to enlarge
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But imagine the interest it would spurn having other manufacturers enter ! Im not interested in V8 supercars because its just Ford and Holden....bring in some others and ill be all over it !

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ice Click here to enlarge
    But imagine the interest it would spurn having other manufacturers enter ! Im not interested in V8 supercars because its just Ford and Holden....bring in some others and ill be all over it !
    would make good tourism probably aswell if had other nations cars
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Forum Hierarchy Nurb608's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem is parity! At the inception of the V8 supercars, there were alot of parity issues that took years and years to rectify. People stoped watching because HSV won pretty much every race, even as a Holden suporter I was bored of it. They finally got the mix right and the growing of the brand itself has had years of work behind it. To bring in a Merc would bring it back to the old days and people would stop watching again. The original split still had the other manufacturers racing in their own events, guess how that went Click here to enlarge
    Track Times: Phillip Island - 1:59.4027, Calder Park - 1:08.8142, Winton 3km - 1:40.7810, Sandown - 1:29.6000, Haunted Hills - 62.55, 1/4 Mile - 13.736

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah but you see, that is the whole point of Car of the Future (COF). Rumour has it that V8's will be shying away from our old technology pushrod engines and allowing multi-valve engines to race. This is where the issue of Merc and BMW was...they weren't interested in V8's up until now as V8's are classed as technological dinosaurs and German manufacturers would only want to show off their technology, not down-grade it just to go racing. COF will also ensure that there will be parity between all manufacturers by using the sucessful Project Blueprint which controls the hight, width, length, wheelbase and aerodynamics of all the cars on the track. So if a teams want to go buy or be given a Mercedes shell, only to cut the thing into pieces just to modify it accordingly, they can do so.

I'm a huge V8's fan and while the Red vs. Blue war is enjoyable, another manufacturer entering the competition can only intensify the battle! And if Audi came to the party......oh wow.
    Last edited by JMZ; 22nd March 2010 at 01:13 PM.
    Old Car 0-100km/h took a friggin long time
    New Car 0-100km/h takes only 5.9sec

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ferrari do v8s Click here to enlarge as does aston martin Click here to enlarge

i think V8 supercars are doomed anyway... with ford pulling the falcon from its lineup in 2011 and GM canceling the mass production of V8 engines as part of their bailout terms, there doesnt seem to be much future in the motorsport.. back to 4pot cosworths!
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information