Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: another newbie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice to see some decent work there Click here to enlarge.
    1st off, ditch the stock turbo it's crap (and they are over boosting it anway with those levels by the sound of it) and drop a vxr turbo in.
    the vxr turbo costs round the 1200 mark landed, and will still be 20% higher flow then a high flowed stockie Click here to enlarge.

mr turbo are good, i get parts from them, but neva had work done there.

there is room for a bigger turbo, trust me Click here to enlarge.

i have a garrett gt35/40r on mine, hehehe.
    '04 Sri-T Z23LET - latest stages underway - Slowly - Even slower - $5K over budget :-/
    **Qld** Astra TS Turbo Tuner.

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thx auzvectra. I've seen that some other members also have these vxr units. Will be ordering one tomorrow Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're not trying to cut too many corners Click here to enlarge Good to see

PS. What are the dimensions of the intercooler and where'd you get that done?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and welcome to the site! Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks delemonte.

Overall dimensions are
    wide; 570 mm excluding inlet & outlet (630 mm including inlet & outlet)
    Height; 300 mm
    Thick; 80 mm
    3 inch inlet & outlet
    2.5 inch ss pipes

I took my car to BPS (Bayside Performance Services http://www.bpschiptek.com ) in Cleveland and they had "Innovative Exhaust Systems" if I remember their name correctly, to make the intercooler and pipe work. These are the same guys that also made the exhaust. At first, I drove without the front fan as that didn't fit anymore but the car was running a bit hot and I got sick of turning the aircon on and off to lower the temps. AM Auto Services ( http://www.amauto.com.au ) fitted a spal slimline fan. They cut out a bit more of the front bar and bumper so they could move the intercooler forwards. The radiator was moved backwards. It all works perfectly now though it is a very tight fit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its no wonder your turbo is shot, 24psi overboost is way to high. Drop in a VXR turbo and you'll get good results.

Dont forget to get an uprated fuel pump as the standard one shits itself when pushed to hard Click here to enlarge
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    HAHAHA, I like overboost (& beer Click here to enlarge). It's difficult to get it to overboost only to 21 psi and holding at 19. I think that the actuator is also on it's last legs. Yeah, will be getting the vxr unit.

Some pics of the intercooler, bay and exhaust. Hope this works.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dutchy Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for your kind welcome guys.

So, my car, it's a star silver 2003 sri-t as I mentioned bought new. The first things that found their way under the bonnet were a hard boost pipe, larger air intake and a 3.6 bar fpr from (all from Mtech - Holland). A K&N filter was dropped into the derestricted box. This was followed by a Sachs uprated clutch and a custom remap by BPS (Cleveland). The 3.6 bar fpr was ditched during the tune as it caused heavy over-fuelling of the car. The standard plugs were changed for the iridium ones. A few months later, the standard intercooler was swapped for a custom made item including 2.5 inch ss pipe work. A 3 inch custom made full ss exhaust was also added with an extra silencer in between to keep noise levels legal. New custom made drive shafts were also made. The guys at AM Auto Services fitted a slimline Spal fan in between the intercooler and radiator to keep things cool and some adjustable Koni's all round. It's got a very nice looking Apexi boost gauge sitting in the right hand corner on the dash. I'm still running the original turbo with 24 psi overboost, holding at 19 slowly dropping to 14 psi, but I think it's on it's way out (sounds like an owl at times but there is no smoke yet......). It's currently got 152 kw atw / 325 Nm and that's with a worn turbo. Boost drops off very quickly but that might be due to the actuator. It's not bad but it used to have much more power. Engine internals are still original.

I heard that Mr. Turbo in the Gold Coast is very good but haven't spoken to anyone yet that has experience with them. Mr. Turbo doesn't have a website either. I was thinking of having the original turbo reconditioned with uprated stuff. As there is not a lot of space left in between the engine and the radiator, a different brand of turbo and manifold might not fit (due to the large intercooler, the radiator has been moved backwards in order to fit the Spal fan in between). Does anybody know them ?

Cheers,
    Dutchy
    i'd be interested in know ing abit more, i have talked to this guy at clevelend and don't think he know's much,, maybe skylines and commadores he might know but would suggest not to go back to him,because some of us are running stock turbo's with everything done , been on the dyno a few times, in the past ,first two done weren't actuate becuse u can change the settings for HP, at the last wheel on wide bay they had a dyno there which was a new one,which can't be played with,i got 122.4kw@126kph 400.8 N.M @114kph and i have owned mine for 7 years with same stock turbo...Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by ope11; 17th January 2010 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and yeh i forgot i still have my cross over pipe too .Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    152kwatw is realistic. I had that when i had my stock turbo, just depends on the map you have. Holding 19psi?? Forget that!! Thats not realistic!

With dyno day coming up will be interesting to see what my boost holds at around 5500-6000rpm....
    Audi A3 8P 2.0TFSI QUATTRO | SAT NAV | RS6 19'S | PREMIUM TINT| APR CARBONIO STAGE 2 INTAKE | SPM 3" SS DOWNPIPE W/ 200 CELL CAT
    TUNED BY APR
    APR STAGE II.

Thread Information