Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fill the tank with fuel, maybe add a few extra psi in the tyres.
    Take any valuables out of it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fill tank with fuel???
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by btm Click here to enlarge
    fill tank with fuel???
    Less likelihood of condensation etc.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it christmas or april fools day??
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snotty Click here to enlarge
    is it christmas or april fools day??
    Be sure to fill your gas tank all the way to the top. This will save your fuel system from oxidation and will also displace any water that may currently be in the system. Be sure to add the fuel system stabilizer at the same time - following the directions (which usually includes driving the car for 20 min. after)
    To help keep gasoline from deteriorating, pour a fuel stabilizer into the tank. Be sure to drive the car for about 10 miles after adding the stabilizer to make sure it gets circulated throughout the system. Normally, it's best to leave the tank full.
    These are guidelines for storing a car for upto 6months so the fuel stabilizer is over the top... but the idea of filling the tank to the top before storing it is valid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you guys for help!

Merry Xmas!!!
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport Alpine White
    2010 MY10 VW R36 Wagon Biscay Blue
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking|OpeliZed|Whiteline RSB|EibachProKit | Shopping Trolley

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how long is too long to leave the astra sitting there?
    We are heading overseas (one way ticket) for up to a year. I have arranged for a mate to take it for a run every now and then, but he isnt available all that often.
    Would once every 6-8 weeks be fine do you reckon?
    Other than that, other things I plan to do in preparation are:

-Fresh oil change
    -Rag in the air intake
    -Leave something under the wipers
    -Full tank with stabiliser
    -Windows down a fraction
    -Disconnect battery
    -Maybe leave it on stands.

Anything Ive missed??
    Silver 1.8 G (Gone) Silver 2.2 G (Gone) Silver 2.0 Turbo G (Gone too)

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    i wouldn't bother putting a rag in the intake incase someone forgets to take it out when they take the car for a drive. also if its going to be undercover leave the windows closed.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - mk4 888 wheels - Star light roof lining - lowered - ice - exhaust - vxr brakes - quite a few other things.
    my ride - no longer faster than qlds sri-t's
    OEM+
    04 Astra Linea Rossa - Build thread

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a year...

Placing the car on stands is a good idea so you don't get flat spots.

I've change the oil upon return, not beforehand.

For 2 months.. No prep required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY07 Golf GTI DSG
    Volvo XC60 T6
    Ex- 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this situation with 2 of my cars...

This is what I've done for years, without any long term problems to worry about.

If it's indoors, then put a cover on it, I use a large enough cotton sheet, you don't have to go to the expense of a purpose made car cover, unless it's outdoors. A cover will save you from a major clean up operation of built up dust and grime even if it's indoors and especially if it's a soft top convertible, an external cover should be of the proper type that can breath air to avoid condensation related problems and to provide proper external elements protection.

Put a small piece of cotton sheet under each wiper blade, this will prevent the rubber blade from deterioration and/or leave marks on the windshield, use the same for rear window wipers.

Inflate the tyres to a higher than regular psi, no more than 10psi over though - and remember then to deflate them back to normal when you re-use the car. In my case I roll the car back and fourth every couple of weeks to alter the position of the tyre flat spot.

Depending on the individual car situation, Install/use a battery maintanance pack - they are well worth the spend for any car that's constantly kept that way. (see below)

Before you leave the car, check that everything works, especially the wiper washers as that can block over time.

If you leave the car un-used for a period of 6 months or more, I'd recommend changing oil and coolant fluids as they will have become contaminated, a good flush and clean to the coolant system is the way to go as well as there will be lots of corrosion settlement.

If the car is left outside in a windy area, then cover up things like the engine air intake (if exposed like a turbo Astra for eg) and exhaust nozzle to prevent build up of foreign debris which can cause damage when started up.

If you've done some of the things above or taken even more steps, make a list and place it in the car where you'll see it when you re-enter the car, that way you can follow it through like a check list and not forget to do/remove certain items before re-use.

Regarding the battery, if you have a high power ICE install with powercaps etc. and it's not on a master on/off switch, then you must either dis-connect the battery or use a battery maintanance pack, they only draw very little power and trickle charge the battery intermittently, also some aftermarket alarms can prematurely drain the battery from a constant scavenging to top up the back up alarm battery, so just keep that in mind if it gets to a period of more than a couple of months or if it's a much older car, the battery will die before that...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information