Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge
    *BTM* Opel Astra SRi 2.2L

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by glider
    A thread hasn't been recognized on OpelAus forums until BTM has posted in it at least 6 times
    "As a final incentive before giving up on a difficult task, try to imagine it successfully accomplished by someone you violently dislike"

K. Zenios

I'm new here, please be nice Topdown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops my bad, I meant to post the link to the fabric roof cleaner kit. Good thing I didn't use the vynyl on my car

I'm new here, please be nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by imay Click here to enlarge
    You using the key fob to open/close the roof? If so, DON'T, as it puts a heck of a strain on the battery.
    Are you using the console button when this happens? Engine running or not? If not, same problem, as you may not have a fully powered battery. To be on the safe side I tend to nearly always operate the roof with the engine running.
    If you are experiencing these with the engine running (hence battery being charged OK) there may be an obstruction(?) which is preventing the roof closing all the way. Silicon spray (aka spray lube) is OK for a short term fix only, as these sprays tend to become dirt magnets. Clean up all the hinges, clamps and rams (moving parts you can access) and use an all-purpose grease on the moving parts only. Oh, and only use a slight smear of grease otherwise the same thing with happen (attracting dust and dirt).
    Other than that, if the problem persists, just ask questions at your (gulp!) Holden dealer . . . you never know you might be lucky enough to get someone who actually knows what they are talking about.
    Check the hydraulic fluid level (right hand side cover in the boot). Should be just above minimum with the roof up, closer to maximum with the roof down. Stop the roof opening/closing with the tonneau cover raised and check inside the roof bin (where if folds back into) for any hydraulic fluid leaks in here if the level appears too low. Sorry, but if the fluid is low, it's definitely a (expensive) trip to Holden for them to top it up.

The only other problem I have experienced is: with the roof half open, on the leading edge where it locks into the windscreen header rail, there is a bullet shaped locating pin on either side. These should have an "O" ring on them which deteriorates over time. Always have a couple of spares on hand, and replace them if you see any damage.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

. . . . and we are still waiting for pics I believe!
    Thankyou.....you were absolutely right. I never had the engine running when putting the roof down. I tried doing it with the engine running and I dont have any problems, works like a dream. Also put a pic up, but had trouble resizing so photo not as good as original. Thanks again for your help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems.

If you have any queries at any time, just post 'em up in the Astra section and someone will be onto it for you. Don't forget all Astras are the same except for ours having the folding roof gizmos. And there are enough convertible owners on here to give you their opinion if your problem relates to the roof.

Good luck.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

Thread Information