Thread: New Golf GTD

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wait for the R20 Click here to enlarge
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    +1 New Golf is extremely boring! I reckon a Corolla has better lines!
    Agree...

Both the Corolla and even the Yaris have better lines and look a whole lot better than any of the 'cooking' model Golfs...

Even something basic like my new Honda City VTiL kills a basic Golf in the looks department Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfft! 125kW/350Nm... Why don't they just put the greenbox on them from factory and make some decent power? My X-Trail has a Renault 2L diesel and it is 127 and 360 from factory. I'm still awaiting the greenbox for the Astra, but it is supposed to be 145kW/400Nm then. Bye Bye Golf.
    Richard - 2006 AH CDTi Manual Astra - black with black tint and black Advanti Medusa 17" rims (wife's car) - Daughter has a white CDTi Manual too, we're suckers!
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 - Petrol guzzler!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cdti Click here to enlarge
    Pfft! 125kW/350Nm... Why don't they just put the greenbox on them from factory and make some decent power? My X-Trail has a Renault 2L diesel and it is 127 and 360 from factory. I'm still awaiting the greenbox for the Astra, but it is supposed to be 145kW/400Nm then. Bye Bye Golf.
    I suppose you could tune anyone of them that you get your hands on...

If your serious about TD then you need to get yourself something other than even an AH with a green box...although at least the AH is a cheap option unless you go for a TD Cruze...

The new TD powered BMW's will be available from from early next year, you could get yourself a base variant 1 series hatch (50k+) with the twin turbo 4 pot diesel donk that's rated at 150kw and 400nm stock, with a remap they go to 175kw and 500+nm...

Stock they run 0-100km/h in 6.9sec (factory claim)...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive motor, but unless they've managed a decent 5500rpm+ redline quite hard to believe that 6.9s claim... especially considering RWD losses.

Clutch dump maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Agree...

Both the Corolla and even the Yaris have better lines and look a whole lot better than any of the 'cooking' model Golfs...

Even something basic like my new Honda City VTiL kills a basic Golf in the looks department Click here to enlarge
    yeah..I quite like the new City. Is VTiL the top of the range? or do they have a sport version?

oh..wait until the new corolla comes out in december Click here to enlarge ...Ive seen pics and they look HOT! There is even a hybrid potentially coming out but would probably not be released in OZ.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mania Click here to enlarge
    Impressive motor, but unless they've managed a decent 5500rpm+ redline quite hard to believe that 6.9s claim... especially considering RWD losses.

Clutch dump maybe?
    Factory claims are nearly always exaggerated...

Most 'real life' verified tests fall anywhere from 0.5-1.2secs slower in the 0-100km/h sprint...

But yeah as said turbo diesels still need to come a long way before they've got any hope of matching petrol engines in acceleration times...whilst in gear acceleration at certain rev/speed points is excellent, most TD vehicles these days will have 0-100km/h acceleration times anywhere from 8.5 - 11sec hardly impressive, when you can get the same from alot of basic 4 pot petrol powered cars and those cars will have a similar fuel burn figure using petrol...
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    yeah..I quite like the new City. Is VTiL the top of the range? or do they have a sport version?

oh..wait until the new corolla comes out in december Click here to enlarge ...Ive seen pics and they look HOT! There is even a hybrid potentially coming out but would probably not be released in OZ.
    Yes the VTiL is the top of the range, there's only one other the VTi and no sports model...

It's for one of the kids, but I like driving it too, (since I paid for it LOL) it's not a bad little sedan...Click here to enlarge

I'm looking forward to some of these new releases over the next 12-18 months too, any pics of this new Corolla...Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As suggested, the problem in getting the TD off the mark quickly is how fast they make it through the rev range, making gear shifts fairly quickly, as well as actually getting traction off the mark. Big torque low down (especially FWD) makes traction difficult.

I was similarly quick at the track the other day with a supercharged mini and a GTI Polo, both of whom used significantly greater amounts of fuel than I did at the track.
    Richard - 2006 AH CDTi Manual Astra - black with black tint and black Advanti Medusa 17" rims (wife's car) - Daughter has a white CDTi Manual too, we're suckers!
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 - Petrol guzzler!

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cdti Click here to enlarge
    As suggested, the problem in getting the TD off the mark quickly is how fast they make it through the rev range, making gear shifts fairly quickly, as well as actually getting traction off the mark. Big torque low down (especially FWD) makes traction difficult.

I was similarly quick at the track the other day with a supercharged mini and a GTI Polo, both of whom used significantly greater amounts of fuel than I did at the track.
    What's your point?

They're turbo/supercharged petrol... you're a diesel

It's pretty much a given
    2006 Subaru WRX

Thread Information