Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Window Tint

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all experience me or my friends have had with tintacar has not been good.
    i have their midnight express on mine, cost $350...
    and after only 18 months ive started to notice a couple of little bubbles appearing in the middle of the windows, ive never washed them with anything harmful to them, and i waited a week after the date they suggested before using the windows at all...

mates have had similar experiences...

however in sayin that i cant recommend anyone else.

insurance wise, youll have no worry with a 35%, go darker and itll be technically yellow sticker-able but i think it would be hard for insurance to prove that the tint was "at fault"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the darkest legal tint on the front and one shade darker on all the rest. I've had darker tint on other cars, no good at night and on wet crappy weather.

Remove tint by wetting the window with windex and smooth out a black plastic rubbish bag on the wet tint. Park so the window is facing the sun for thirty minutes and the tint should come off easier. If not, repeat.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before and after 35%, much cooler in the summer...

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's a midnight I think as well. For some reason the dealership didn't want to tint the front and back windows because it's illegal?

PS. The lancers have tint applied. Noticed that the passenger rear windows are darker than the front seats?

Click here to enlarge
    [ My 2008 Astra GTC Coupe ]
    Mods: [ Mods Galore, check my car thread to view ]

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mmahle Click here to enlarge
    Mine's a midnight I think as well. For some reason the dealership didn't want to tint the front and back windows because it's illegal?

PS. The lancers have tint applied. Noticed that the passenger rear windows are darker than the front seats?
    front is illegal, nowhere does it...

the mitsubishi's can get a "security film" put on the but sides and rear widow, but not the driver or passenger window...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    It certainly IS a bitch to remove, but the process does not scratch the glass - at least speaking for myself anyway as I've removed the tint on a previous car of mine...

It was at least 5 years on and it was well and truly 'fused' to the glass, but slowly and painstakingly I removed it using mainly razor blades and with the final result there were no scratches...

People tint their cars as Miz as stated mainly for looks (each to their own) but the obvious benifit is reduced heat irritation to both you and the cars interior, especially with the lighter or higher percentage light transfer rate tints...

I've got 50% on my vert, it looks heaps better than darker legal limit tint and reflects more heat as well - personally I can't see the sense in going to the darkest possible tint shade unless you want that look, the darker the tint, the more heat absorbtion you get, but as said each to their own...

As for factory tint, that's all a big load of BS !

Unless the manufacturer actually applies a film to the glass, (like some Mercs have) it's not factory tinted !

Factory tint is just a marketing tool used by the car manufacturers, but what it really is - is the natural finish of the glass, (greenish colour) which in this case is called 'float glass' and is caused by the amount of lead and other metal contents in the glass molecular structure...

If you get crystal clear glass, it's known as 'opti' or 'low iron' glass and has almost zero lead/metal content, it has no greenish colouration at all but is much more expensive and the car industry dosn't use it...

I know this from when I worked at a mechanical engineering firm who had large dealings with the Pilkington Glass company Click here to enlarge

You must have used a very sharp razor and be very very lucky. How did you remove the tint on the rear demister with a razor?

I know some companies use steam and a sharp razor..but still scratches very slightly....i didnt mean deep scratches but light marks. Ive also had tinters miss with their knife inside and chop off bits off the trims around the glass inside! Horrible experience..ive never had tinting done to any of my cars since.
    The Mondeo XR5 has blue factory tint that is as dark as the film you get...trust me..tinters have asked if I ve had my windows tinted....the downside is the glass seems very soft..scratches easily if you have crap caught in a rag or something..dunno what kind of glass they used.
    Last edited by USC; 28th September 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jay manda got Tint-a-Cars Bolle Tint, its really good and is acctually a truer black colour than midnight express so for appearance sake it looks darker.. i got midnight on my last car and hers was much darker than myn..

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    You must have used a very sharp razor and be very very lucky. How did you remove the tint on the rear demister with a razor?

I know some companies use steam and a sharp razor..but still scratches very slightly....i didnt mean deep scratches but light marks. Ive also had tinters miss with their knife inside and chop off bits off the trims around the glass inside! Horrible experience..ive never had tinting done to any of my cars since.
    The Mondeo XR5 has blue factory tint that is as dark as the film you get...trust me..tinters have asked if I ve had my windows tinted....the downside is the glass seems very soft..scratches easily if you have crap caught in a rag or something..dunno what kind of glass they used.
    I actually went through alot of em USC and also used up quite a few scalpel blades as well to get it all done Click here to enlarge

I didn't do any cutting action on the tint, I just kept going at it in a scrapping fashion, picking up one bit at a time, it came off in little bits at a time...

I also used large amounts of methylated spirits to soften up the hardened resedue between the film and glass and then to clean up the glass when the tint was removed...

The back window in this particular car didn't have a dimister, (old LC Torana) so no probs about that aspect, would have to take different measures to tackle that one...

The tint on your Mondeo must be some sort of film applied to the glass from factory, as I mentioned in my other post, Mercedes do it to some of their cars and it too is a blue-ish tint, I'd say that's why it has a soft surface...all types of glass surfaces are very hard, polycarbonate, polyester, and other such type materials which can be made to resemble glass have a softer surface, but AFAIK except for some convertible rear glass panels manufactures don't use those materials for windshield or door glass panels...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im running 13% Tint all round on my veccy, never had any dramas from the cops and when i went in to get my car inspected by AAMI after some prick dented my rear wheel arch all the accessor asked is "what car are those wheels from?" He then went on about my opel badges and how they have "vauxhall" in england hahaha

anyways my point is some people appreciate a nice clean looking car, and the cars we drive arent known as rev head cars so cops will most likely look the other way in my opinion, as for insurance if im ever asked about how low it is or even the tint...thats how i brought it will be my response!!!
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    I actually went through alot of em USC and also used up quite a few scalpel blades as well to get it all done Click here to enlarge

I didn't do any cutting action on the tint, I just kept going at it in a scrapping fashion, picking up one bit at a time, it came off in little bits at a time...

I also used large amounts of methylated spirits to soften up the hardened resedue between the film and glass and then to clean up the glass when the tint was removed...

The back window in this particular car didn't have a dimister, (old LC Torana) so no probs about that aspect, would have to take different measures to tackle that one...

The tint on your Mondeo must be some sort of film applied to the glass from factory, as I mentioned in my other post, Mercedes do it to some of their cars and it too is a blue-ish tint, I'd say that's why it has a soft surface...all types of glass surfaces are very hard, polycarbonate, polyester, and other such type materials which can be made to resemble glass have a softer surface, but AFAIK except for some convertible rear glass panels manufactures don't use those materials for windshield or door glass panels...
    I can guarantee you there is no film on the glass, It has been verified by a professional. The colour was added during the manufacturing process. The glass is soft on the outside, even the windcreen...which got marked when auto wipers went on and it was very dusty.

Thread Information