Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Window Tint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window Tint

Hey all,

I have contacted tint a car for a quote on tinting for their different tints however i am yet to receive a reply. Just thought i would check on here to see what you guys recommend from experience and what sort of effect it has on insurance?

Cheers
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jason B Click here to enlarge
    Hey all,

I have contacted tint a car for a quote on tinting for their different tints however i am yet to receive a reply. Just thought i would check on here to see what you guys recommend from experience and what sort of effect it has on insurance?

Cheers
    In my experience no affect at all on insurance !

It will only have an adverse affect if it's an illegal range (usually below 30% light transfer rate) in which case insurance may be refused...
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with your insurance company . . . shouldn't affect their cover, but ALWAYS check first. Stay with a legal tint and it really shouldn't be a problem.

Get several quotes for the same gear, because the price WILL vary from store to store. Tint-a-car, Solar-tint, etc., all good. If they provide the life-time warranty it should be a good tint.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    i payed $250 i think it was for Midnight Express, quoted $180 for Formula 1 and payed $520 or so for bolle but didnt want any of there sunnies so they took off $50 and paid 470 instead.

im getting a private company to limo tint 5% my back window and rear quater windows and do 20% on driver and passenger windows for $199
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by imay Click here to enlarge
    Check with your insurance company . . . shouldn't affect their cover, but ALWAYS check first. Stay with a legal tint and it really shouldn't be a problem.

Get several quotes for the same gear, because the price WILL vary from store to store. Tint-a-car, Solar-tint, etc., all good. If they provide the life-time warranty it should be a good tint.
    yeh i want to stay legal :P so if i were to go midnight express there would probably be no effect? although i will check. Anyone on here have midnight express on an astra who has photos? or another tint?

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From experience I would confirm with them what type of tint they will be applying

I got my windows tinted on my black car, and tbh i've never been happy with it because it has a slight green tint (or more of a metallicy look)... as opposed to a nice black tint

I went to another reputable tinter and he had a look at the tint and said that's it is a quality tint (and tested with a device on both sides of the glass), and that it was applied properly... and that I should leave it!!

So just be informed first Click here to enlarge
    2006 Subaru WRX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a problem with Solatint..$310 internet special...$395 for strip and redo
    '99 Vectra B Facelift

Mods: 4-2-1 Extractors | Hi-Flow Cat | K&N Apollo Pod Filter - Cold Air Intake | Bosch Super 4's | Imrchser Grille | Opelised | 17"G2 Rims | Pioneer DEH-P6050UB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said you should leave it because it will be a bitch to remove....and will scratch your windows everywhere. Ive had tint removed from an old car and it was hell...even damaged the rear dimister. I seriously dont know why people tint their cars...most cars nowadays are factory tinted.

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    He said you should leave it because it will be a bitch to remove....and will scratch your windows everywhere. Ive had tint removed from an old car and it was hell...even damaged the rear dimister. I seriously dont know why people tint their cars...most cars nowadays are factory tinted.
    Some people prefer the look. It's personal preference

I'd like to think it helps protect the interior to a degree as well... namely the leather
    2006 Subaru WRX

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by USC Click here to enlarge
    It certainly IS a bitch to remove, but the process does not scratch the glass - at least speaking for myself anyway as I've removed the tint on a previous car of mine...

It was at least 5 years on and it was well and truly 'fused' to the glass, but slowly and painstakingly I removed it using mainly razor blades and with the final result there were no scratches...

People tint their cars as Miz as stated mainly for looks (each to their own) but the obvious benifit is reduced heat irritation to both you and the cars interior, especially with the lighter or higher percentage light transfer rate tints...

I've got 50% on my vert, it looks heaps better than darker legal limit tint and reflects more heat as well - personally I can't see the sense in going to the darkest possible tint shade unless you want that look, the darker the tint, the more heat absorbtion you get, but as said each to their own...

As for factory tint, that's all a big load of BS !

Unless the manufacturer actually applies a film to the glass, (like some Mercs have) it's not factory tinted !

Factory tint is just a marketing tool used by the car manufacturers, but what it really is - is the natural finish of the glass, (greenish colour) which in this case is called 'float glass' and is caused by the amount of lead and other metal contents in the glass molecular structure...

If you get crystal clear glass, it's known as 'opti' or 'low iron' glass and has almost zero lead/metal content, it has no greenish colouration at all but is much more expensive and the car industry dosn't use it...

I know this from when I worked at a mechanical engineering firm who had large dealings with the Pilkington Glass company Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Thread Information