Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Pick 'n' Pull" Wreckers philosophy

I was reading through the local paper this morning and discovered that Capalaba Wreckers; Brisbane's largest, is becoming a "Pick and Pull" operation.

This basically means that the customers have to retrieve the car parts themselves using their own tools. If they want the parts to be removed for them they have to pay a service fee. They claim that this will "reduce the costs of parts" but I'm actually a bit disappointed. Why?

-Wreckers don't really have a set pricing schedule, meaning that I doubt there will actually be much of a price reduction between the old and new schemes (If someone wants to try this out and ring them I know that their original prices for vectra door lock mechs are $110 each (which in itself is a rip given that at a wreckers 5 minutes away you can get them for $50)

-Obviously gives the wreckers a chance to lay off employees, whilst still making the same (perhaps even more) money

-Much greater chance of parts being broken leaving less parts overall for supply. This is especially relevant to rarer cars like ours

-Seeing the way some cars are stored at that wreckers (eg. stacked on top of each other, propped up on two sets of rims) I believe it is unsafe for untrained persons to be "wrecking" cars in that unsafe zone. I'm assuming they'll also be required to sign a waiver of some kind (gman/other legal people what are the legal implications here?)

I really don't know how such a large wreckers could implement such poor policy. In my opinion this will lead to more broken parts and more injuries as untrained and/or non-common-sensical people try to brotek the business of removing parts from cars.
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!
    '91Alfa Romeo 164Q
    '02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 ~ '98 BMW 740il ~ '02 Saab 9-5 aero ~ '99 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible ~'00 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 ~ '97 Volvo S40 T4 ~ '94 Saab 900s 2.5 ~ '98 Opel Vectra 2.0

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    u would be surprised jerram

imlachs here in springvale has that policy. heres some comparisons on some parts i bought for mine vs kumbaks in braeside:

speedo cluster... $110 vs $20
    oil dipstick... $15 vs $3.50
    trip computer... $180 vs $30
    wheel bolts... $3ea vs $0.50 for 5

ive just about stripped the v6 cali at imlachs because their prices are so damn cheap lol
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what would have to happen jerram would be you ask for the parts, they move the car to a safe place then you pull parts off.

when i got my sump the bloke said $220, i asked how much if i took it off myself and they said $150

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah in adelaide we have "U Pull It" and it's a huge treasure hunt out in the yards. most parts are listed on a billboard at the entrance. but it's pretty limited to older model cars (a lot of it pre 2000)
    Who Is Ur Daddy & What Does He Do?

In the future, in the past, somewhere ......
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hazrd Click here to enlarge
    u would be surprised jerram

imlachs here in springvale has that policy. heres some comparisons on some parts i bought for mine vs kumbaks in braeside:

speedo cluster... $110 vs $20
    oil dipstick... $15 vs $3.50
    trip computer... $180 vs $30
    wheel bolts... $3ea vs $0.50 for 5

ive just about stripped the v6 cali at imlachs because their prices are so damn cheap lol
    Do they have those Calibra seatbelt guides?? Thinking of installing them into my Astra. Click here to enlarge Not sure if they will bolt in though ......

If they are cheap, worth the experiment. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    "oooh Simon gets a turbo, this could be dangerous!" Mr Cali
    13 Opel Astra Select 1.6 [Mrs] |13 Golf GTi [Speedster] | 81 DMC [Cruiser] | 79 Lancia Beta Spyder [Resto]

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    cant remember lol i didnt look at the seatbelts, worth going down and having a look tho
    Sure, we dont have to worry about viking raids or scurvy anymore, but instead we make a daily routine of sitting in flimsy, fibreglass (or metal) boxes full of gasoline which are propelled in opposing directions on the freeway at velocities matching that of low flying aircraft.

This is a roundabout way of saying that cars are dangerous....

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Assholes, tehy wouldnt even let me in teh yard to look at the cars when i was in there

now they are selve serve, i wouldnt go back there just on the basis the guy tehre was a #@$%#$
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from a safety point of view there opening up real can of worms. customers are not allowed to do "WORK" on premises
    Last edited by EL BURITO; 22nd August 2009 at 06:41 PM.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sssdriver Click here to enlarge
    God bless hoons, without them tying up police resources my methlab would have been raided aeons ago!:uhh:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is a return to the old days - 60s and 70s where you went in an pulled off what you wanted and the owner decided the price as you left. I agree with Jerram about the hazards of working in amongst the wrecks. Someone will get injured and unlike the old days, some wrecker will be sued, plus probably have the relevant Worksafe authority investigate their operation. It would be interesting how a signed waiver may stand-up in court.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jerram Click here to enlarge
    I was reading through the local paper this morning and discovered that Capalaba Wreckers; Brisbane's largest, is becoming a "Pick and Pull" operation.

This basically means that the customers have to retrieve the car parts themselves using their own tools. If they want the parts to be removed for them they have to pay a service fee. They claim that this will "reduce the costs of parts" but I'm actually a bit disappointed. Why?

-Wreckers don't really have a set pricing schedule, meaning that I doubt there will actually be much of a price reduction between the old and new schemes (If someone wants to try this out and ring them I know that their original prices for vectra door lock mechs are $110 each (which in itself is a rip given that at a wreckers 5 minutes away you can get them for $50)

-Obviously gives the wreckers a chance to lay off employees, whilst still making the same (perhaps even more) money

-Much greater chance of parts being broken leaving less parts overall for supply. This is especially relevant to rarer cars like ours
    -Seeing the way some cars are stored at that wreckers (eg. stacked on top of each other, propped up on two sets of rims) I believe it is unsafe for untrained persons to be "wrecking" cars in that unsafe zone. I'm assuming they'll also be required to sign a waiver of some kind (gman/other legal people what are the legal implications here?)

I really don't know how such a large wreckers could implement such poor policy. In my opinion this will lead to more broken parts and more injuries as untrained and/or non-common-sensical people try to brotek the business of removing parts from cars.
    didnt realise you where having trouble finding parts for your rare vectra
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Thread Information