Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AfterBurner Click here to enlarge
    Yah, correct, my bad... It popped into my head cos the one we have at work is actually a KRONE branded one & all the MDF/IDC blocks we use are also KRONE...Click here to enlarge
    I only use Krone or Molex. Sometimes Clipsal.
    Brady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cat 6 on the left, Cat 5 on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brady

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kudrow Click here to enlarge
    I also need to let you know that what you are doing (DIY cabling of this sort) without a cabling licence is illegal.

The includes purchasing your own cable and putting the RJ45 ends on, terminating cable in RJ45 inserts in wallplates, or running any cable in a "permanent" method.

"Permanent" even means under the carpet.
    Thanks for your help... could you elabrate more on the legality of this type of DIY ?
    i understand putting your own electrical cables in the house and such because of risk of electricution and potentially burning down the house. This i will never attempt.
    what can happen with a LAN cabling? can it catch on fire?
    i made sure the lan cabling is as far as possible (minimum 30cm) from any electrical cables.
    i made sure the cabling does not cross each other in any way (no lan cable crosses electrical cables)
    i made sure the wall plates are secured correctly and the keystone jacks are punched down as securely and tightly as possible.

sorry for all the questions but i am a bit lost as to what could go wrong?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PO15KA Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for your help... could you elabrate more on the legality of this type of DIY ?
    i understand putting your own electrical cables in the house and such because of risk of electricution and potentially burning down the house. This i will never attempt.
    what can happen with a LAN cabling? can it catch on fire?
    i made sure the lan cabling is as far as possible (minimum 30cm) from any electrical cables.
    i made sure the cabling does not cross each other in any way (no lan cable crosses electrical cables)
    i made sure the wall plates are secured correctly and the keystone jacks are punched down as securely and tightly as possible.

sorry for all the questions but i am a bit lost as to what could go wrong?
    i would say mainly OH&S purposes, it may work fine now but say u sell the house & in 5 or 10 yrs some insulation breaks down n sends 240v down the ethernet cable, not likely if you did it as explained, but the average Joe knows shit about cabling & there are many possible dangers involved. A licenced/experienced cabler would know what to avoid etc...
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -
    To Do's - Re-paint console, FMIC!! WASH!!!!! Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AfterBurner Click here to enlarge
    i would say mainly OH&S purposes, it may work fine now but say u sell the house & in 5 or 10 yrs some insulation breaks down n sends 240v down the ethernet cable, not likely if you did it as explained, but the average Joe knows shit about cabling & there are many possible dangers involved. A licenced/experienced cabler would know what to avoid etc...

oh, if thats whats involved then all will be OK. LAN cables cleared away from any other cabling and piping at least 30 cm, secured with appropriate cable ties\hooks so unable to be moved.
    wall plates secured according to the industry standard with proper brackets and away from other wall plates, cabling and piping.
    the kaystone jacks have been wired as best as possible using approved tools and secured from possibility of water damage.

thanks again to all that contributed Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing really to do with OH&S (which is a change). It's pretty much the same principle as needing a licence to be an electrician. There are certain ways that cables must be run, like not directly next to power cables, and if so, what the spacing requirements are, what sort of ducting to use, what sort of cabling to use in what situation, wiring and termination methods and procedures, genernal do's and don'ts etc...

Another reason (particularly in telecomms) is that the work you do ends up connecting to the carriers network (aka Telstra's) and if dont incorrectly or wrong at your end, can cause all sorts of problems and cost you big money. An example being, copping ACMAs fine, plus the costs of fixing whatever problem you caused in the first place. Say this meant replacing some equipment in the exchange or compensating some big business customer who shares your cable in the street, well who knows how much it would be.

The fine from ACMA is about $13,000.00 or something along those lines.

See: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1154765

Some more:

See: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=351732
    See: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1299603
    See: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1267960
    Brady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, if thats whats involved then all will be OK. LAN cables cleared away from any other cabling and piping at least 30 cm, secured with appropriate cable ties\hooks so unable to be moved.
    E.g. You are not supposed to use cable ties on LAN cable. It's not the standard. You are supposed to use velcro ties.
    Brady

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kudrow Click here to enlarge
    Nothing really to do with OH&S (which is a change). It's pretty much the same principle as needing a licence to be an electrician. There are certain ways that cables must be run, like not directly next to power cables, and if so, what the spacing requirements are, what sort of ducting to use, what sort of cabling to use in what situation, wiring and termination methods and procedures, genernal do's and don'ts etc...

Another reason (particularly in telecomms) is that the work you do ends up connecting to the carriers network (aka Telstra's) and if dont incorrectly or wrong at your end, can cause all sorts of problems and cost you big money. An example being, copping ACMAs fine, plus the costs of fixing whatever problem you caused in the first place. Say this meant replacing some equipment in the exchange or compensating some big business customer who shares your cable in the street, well who knows how much it would be.

The fine from ACMA is about $13,000.00 or something along those lines.

See: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1154765

Some more:

See: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=351732
    See: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1299603
    See: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1267960

ah krap! now you got me worried...i am positive i have done everything with as much safety and thought as possible (which in my case is spot on)
    i might have to call a data tech from KRS or similiar and see if they can check everything before i start plugging my PC's in...

thanks again Kudrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah krap! now you got me worried...i am positive i have done everything with as much safety and thought as possible (which in my case is spot on)
    i might have to call a data tech from KRS or similiar and see if they can check everything before i start plugging my PC's in...

thanks again Kudrow
    Don't say you did the cabling, he would probably dob you in. Say it was there when you got the house or your renting and it was already there etc...
    Brady

Thread Information