Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maximum length for a LAN cable...?

what is the maximum allowed length of a LAN cable connection? for eg, router and the PC are 10 meters away from each other, will the signal travel without any interferance?
    Click here to enlarge Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current . Please think of the children before resurrecting this ancient thread!

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    about 100m i think it is
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Participant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by poita Click here to enlarge
    about 100m i think it is
    thank you so much Click here to enlarge

reason im asking is that wireless is quite a hit and miss in my dwelling Click here to enlarge
    preparing to network the PC room with the lounge room, the master bedroom and the kids bedroom.

i will run the cabling through the walls and over the ceiling inside the roof.

1. during summer the roof gets quite hot as we know it, will this affect the cabling in any way?
    2. i need to run 3 separate cables from the PC room to each of the other rooms, right?
    3. a one 3 outlet wall plate and 3 one outlets are required, right? (3 outlet wallplate in PC room and the other one outlet wallplates in the other rooms)
    4. what type of router will i need, im looking for a fast connection.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on whether or not it's CAT5e or CAT6 cable..

CAT6 is better as the pairs are twisted = Lower loss...

You wouldn't wanna go more than 100m as Poita said, but 10m is a short run in any book...Click here to enlarge

AzzA
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -
    To Do's - Re-paint console, FMIC!! WASH!!!!! Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most ADSL modems these days have 4 port hub's built-in..
    Opelized Astra G Sri-T Silver - Mods to date --> ECU Remap - K&N Pod - 2.5" cat-back zorst w/ Hi-Flow S/S cat - Eibach 'Sportlines' - Bilstein B8's - 20" Variant rims w/ Hankook 235/35/20 rubber - Aero wipers -

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Forget LAN cable, get yourself some EoP (Ethernet over power line) adapters. You need one for the modem's uplink (port 1 for most of them) and one for each device you want to connect to this weird wired network. It will cost you about $130 for a pair of 85 Mbps adapters. If you want to go 200 Mbps it will cost you much more, but unless you want to stream HD content you'll be just fine with the slower ones.
    Good thing is that you just plug them in and it works-no wires to pull, now holes to make in walls and no extra cables to worry about.
    Renault SPORT Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dieselhead Click here to enlarge
    Forget LAN cable, get yourself some EoP (Ethernet over power line) adapters. You need one for the modem's uplink (port 1 for most of them) and one for each device you want to connect to this weird wired network. It will cost you about $130 for a pair of 85 Mbps adapters. If you want to go 200 Mbps it will cost you much more, but unless you want to stream HD content you'll be just fine with the slower ones.
    Good thing is that you just plug them in and it works-no wires to pull, now holes to make in walls and no extra cables to worry about.
    Only prob with those is that if the circuits go to different breakers, they don't work...Click here to enlarge

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    also if your budget can extend and you go down the CAT cable route get a switch rather than a router... but only if you can afford the extra $$.
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yer as said PoE is fantastic if on the same circuit, but if on a different circuit not so great.

ethernet cable most cost effect way
    2013 Ford Focus ST
    Calibra - The only car that will institutionalise you and send you broke in the mean time

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vectracious Click here to enlarge
    also if your budget can extend and you go down the CAT cable route get a switch rather than a router... but only if you can afford the extra $$.
    I disagree..

read here as to why http://compnetworking.about.com/od/h...ervsswitch.htm

Thread Information