Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by imay Click here to enlarge
    It's looking like it could be getting close to time for a change (wife's Astra, not the convertible!) and the Subaru Impreza RS hatch is gaining her undivided attention at the moment.

Anyone on here got one, know of anyone that's got one, or got an opinion? Probably won't matter what you say anyway (my opinion hasn't counted for much so far!) but any background from people that are "in the know" would be very beneficial, before she actually makes up her mind.
    To be honest, I really can't find too much at fault with them. Actually prefer them over the Mazda3. Test drove one recently and really wasn't impressed. Whereas the Impreza seems to be ticking all the boxes quiet easily.

So, don't hold back guys/girls. Any opinions appreciated.
    Interesting Ian...as you know I too am getting closer to the time for a change/replacement DD for my Calibra and one vehicle on my still long list is the new Sube Impreza, I also recently went and checked out the new MK3 Prius - that's another story though...

I actually prefer the sedan variant of the latest Impreza model, but also would not say no to a hatch...others have already said it all I think, well built and very good value for money across the range...all up to you in the end, if you've tried the new Mazda 3 and didn't like it, maybe the Impreza is the go...just out of curiosity though, what are your thoughts on the interiors of the 2, across the new Mazda 3 range (especially SP25 and MPS3) they're far better than the new Impreza IMHO and also cost wise, I believe the new Mazda 3 is better priced than the Sube as well...

Whilst we're on this topic, did you end up test driving the MPS3 at all ??? I gather that's not the Mazda 3 variant 'the boss' is interested in...Click here to enlarge
    My rides: 2004 Opel/Bertone TS Astra turbo convertible - 2012 Mercedes Benz C204 C Class coupe
    Others: 2009 Honda City VTiL sedan - 2015 Fiat 500
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wraith Click here to enlarge
    Interesting Ian...as you know I too am getting closer to the time for a change/replacement DD for my Calibra and one vehicle on my still long list is the new Sube Impreza, I also recently went and checked out the new MK3 Prius - that's another story though...

I actually prefer the sedan variant of the latest Impreza model, but also would not say no to a hatch...others have already said it all I think, well built and very good value for money across the range...all up to you in the end, if you've tried the new Mazda 3 and didn't like it, maybe the Impreza is the go...just out of curiosity though, what are your thoughts on the interiors of the 2, across the new Mazda 3 range (especially SP25 and MPS3) they're far better than the new Impreza IMHO and also cost wise, I believe the new Mazda 3 is better priced than the Sube as well...

Whilst we're on this topic, did you end up test driving the MPS3 at all ??? I gather that's not the Mazda 3 variant 'the boss' is interested in...Click here to enlarge
    The Impreza sedan is nice, and actually has more room in the "boot" than the hatch as it is a good 6 inches longer. Val would prefer the hatch as her last cars have all been hatches and that's what she is accustomed to now.
    Keeping in mind that her drive MUST be auto, that pretty much removes anything "sporty" from her list (WRX, MPS, etc.). However the Impreza RS was her choice - body kit, sports seats, 17" alloys, etc., and it is very keenly priced against others in its class. The Mazda3 Maxx Sport and SP25 just have a few features I/we weren't impressed by. Smiley face would be too much to live with, very awkward getting in and out of the back (aged parents that still need to be transported, impending grandchildren, etc.), dashboard very over-powering and crowds knee room in the front passenger cell to the point where Val felt too enclosed, pathetic excuse for an in-dash sat-nav (too small and too far away) -- and I was frankly disappointed in its driveability after all the media hype.

The MPS is still on my list of cars to drive, just so I can say I've tried it. Looks very nice in silver! The extra body kit and bonnet scoop tends to draw the eye away from the smiley face, I think.

In the end, if Holden guaranteed to bring the new Astra to Oz, that would probably be on top of our list, but that just isn't going to happen, is it. There's just something about the Euro build quality against the Japs that makes me like 'em that bit more. That's why we are looking next week at . . . . FOCUS! Sorry guys, gotta give it a look before I discount it totally. Golf is also getting a look, but I've already heard some horror stories about DSG maintenance costs and parts/options/accessories are obscenely expensive. The Golf pricing and the fact that there is only ONE supplier in Adelaide puts me off.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    but I've already heard some horror stories about DSG maintenance costs and parts/options/accessories are obscenely expensive. The Golf pricing and the fact that there is only ONE supplier in Adelaide puts me off.

so did I but I investigated it further - its an oil change that occurs every 2 years/60,000km and runs to about $400-500.

I had originally heard that this oil change cost upwards of $1500!!!! of course being the internets you read all kinds of crap!
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the end, if Holden guaranteed to bring the new Astra to Oz, that would probably be on top of our list, but that just isn't going to happen, is it. There's just something about the Euro build quality against the Japs that makes me like 'em that bit more. That's why we are looking next week at . . . . FOCUS! Sorry guys, gotta give it a look before I discount it totally. Golf is also getting a look, but I've already heard some horror stories about DSG maintenance costs and parts/options/accessories are obscenely expensive. The Golf pricing and the fact that there is only ONE supplier in Adelaide puts me off.
    The DSG in the 1.4L Golfs is the new dry clutch version. Less maintenance required than the older wet clutch versions in the GTI and TDI versions.
    I think the new DSG has an improved hill holder function as the DSG has a little lag between applying throttle from standstill and engaging the clutch (which makes sense).

A dealer accessory is flappy paddles for the DSG. Could make it more fun to drive for you.
    Also, both the 90TSi and 118TSi can be updated via firmware reflashes. I think the 90Tsi goes to about 110kw and 220Nm and the 118tsi goes up to about 150kw/290Nm.

The Focus diesel uses a similar auto gearbox now.

Wraith: I had a sit in the MPS3 and SP25. I tend to agree with the others that the interior is very "busy". The auto SP25 had way too many buttons and paddles in the steering wheel.

Carseldine, Brisbane - Ex Cape Town, South Africa
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can almost gaurantee, that after you drive a DSG golf, you wont even consider anything else.
    www.wolf4x4.com.au

OpelAus Post Whore
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rjastra Click here to enlarge
    The DSG in the 1.4L Golfs is the new dry clutch version. Less maintenance required than the older wet clutch versions in the GTI and TDI versions.
    Does that mean they need to replace the clutch packs in them now? I heard with the wet clutch design you only change the oil and not the clutches themselves...Click here to enlarge
    [/SIZE]Current: , 2012 Volvo XC90 3.2
    Ex's: MY13 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI, 2008 Honda CR-V Luxury, MY06 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, MY09 VW Passat R36 Family Truckster MY05 Subaru *sneeze* WRX Click here to enlarge , JSII Vectra CD 2.2, TS Astra CD "Olympic Edition"

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    re: DSG

It's better than any automatic with a traditional torque converter or CVT out there.

infinitely better than a 4 speed auto.

very smooth with superfast shifting..

gulp, yep DSG service ain't that cheap. i think it's 60,000km or 4 years. To replace the DSG is very expensive, however they are reliable, but of course you hear the typical story on the internet out of the 100,000 that haven't had any trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, the DSG is a VERY nice gearbox. Haven't had the chance to properly test the Golf with one, but some time back treated myself to a test drive of an Audi A3 cab with DSG - WOW! Very nice indeed. Argued the point with the salesperson about why would I spend an extra $10-15K on an Audi when a Golf/Eos is basically the same package -- end of discussion, and haven't heard from him since.

For a daily drive, I prefer to adopt the Jeremy Clarkson attitude about tooooo many gears though. Why is 4 not enough? My wife drives in peak times stop-start traffic for 40+ minutes to and 40+ minutes from - why would she NEED a 7 speed tranny? And let's keep in mind they aren't a cheap addition to the base price either! Add a couple of other desirable toys and the Golf very quickly becomes overpriced for what it is.
    Old enough to know better . . . Too old to care!

OpelAus Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JohnBu Click here to enlarge
    re: DSG

It's better than any automatic with a traditional torque converter or CVT out there.

infinitely better than a 4 speed auto.

very smooth with superfast shifting..

gulp, yep DSG service ain't that cheap. i think it's 60,000km or 4 years. To replace the DSG is very expensive, however they are reliable, but of course you hear the typical story on the internet out of the 100,000 that haven't had any trouble.

Yep, I haven’t heard of any issues locally and they are getting on a bit now so I thought we may have.

Internet horror stories are annoying, if I hear someone comment on the Nissan GTR again I will loose it.
    Megane RS 250 Trophee
    Megane RS F1.R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ones id be looking at (in this order)
    1.0 Golf VI
    2.0 SP25
    3.0 Corolla
    4.0 i30
    5.0 Lancer Sportsback
    6.0 Impreza RS
    7.0 civic

my old man has an 05 impreza RS (2.5ltr auto) and to be honest, its a huge slug of a car. Add to that that its not that versatile (back seats dont fold down), its a car thats reliable, cheap to run, but not the cream of the crop. He drove the SP25 recently and much preferred the drive of the Mazda. The Golf, to me would be the most enticing auto to drive out of the lot.

As for the Mazda, with anything new that pushes the envelope of opinions and personal perference, it will take time to get used to it. I personally admire Mazda for being funky with their design and depending on colour choice, you can mask up certain areas that might not be so appealing.

The Corolla (read 'boring') is the safest option. Not my cup of tea, but theres a reason why its the best selling car.

i30 has won many motoring awards, and should be discounted as an option IMO
    ex. ~2.5L V6 Vectra~
    ex. ~matte black '07 Honda VTR 250~
    current ~phantom black '11 Triumph Street Triple R~

Thread Information